Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Meanwhile Toyota have committed to build the next generation of Auris here post Brexit.

Strange you haven't posted about it !

I didn’t think it was concluded. Isn’t it conditional?

D

Deleted member 22389

We don't take decisions in medicine, engineering etc based on faith, and for many of us it isn't enough when making huge economic and political decisions.

What do you personally stand to lose by us leaving? I also think may has come to a good compromise, it's up to the EU now.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
What do you personally stand to lose by us leaving? I also think may has come to a good compromise, it's up to the EU now.

Personally not a huge amount as I am close to retirement, no mortgage etc. I think the risks for others are considerable but hard to quantify precisely until we know what the reality of what arrangements we get are and this is not clear enough yet for me. I am actually quite a positive person and am waiting for some evidence that we will be entering a world with lots of new opportunities but just don't see enough (or really any) yet.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Meanwhile Toyota have committed to build the next generation of Auris here post Brexit.

Strange you haven't posted about it !

They would have built the Auris here anyway, Brexit has nothing to do with the decision other than it may derail the whole deal. In fact they would have done it sooner without Brexit. So what we have in reality is Toyota and no Astra as oppose to Toyota and Astra. You understand that is not a good thing?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well TM has outlined which bits of the EU she would like to stay in and which bits she wouldn't. I can't imagine what the EU's response is going to be :facepalm:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Strange that you know this but there's nothing in any media report about it happening anyway. What inside info do you have ?

Where the previous models have been built would be favourite to make the new model, as that plant would no longer be making the old model, it would make sense no?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...e-to-reveal-donations-to-dup-in-eu-referendum

Ministers will whip Conservative MPs to block a move to reveal donations to the DUP during the EU referendum, which Labour has said is “doing the party’s dirty work”.

The government is set to help the Northern Irish party conceal details of past political donations, including a highly controversial sum given during the referendum, despite a 2014 law that extended party transparency rules to Northern Ireland.

The rules on transparency were to bring Northern Ireland into line with the rest of the UK, which first introduced in legislation in 2014 with the wide understanding it would be applied from that year.

However, the government has since said the transparency rules will apply from 1 July 2017, which would mean donations during the EU referendum in 2016 will not be made public.

The shadow Northern Ireland secretary, Owen Smith, said it was outrageous that the government would not backdate the donations rules.

“All parties in Northern Ireland apart from the DUP support the government’s previous promise to publish. There is simply no excuse to not publish the donations,” he said.

“The Tories must explain why they are doing the DUP’s dirty work by helping them avoid publishing the source of the funds received in the EU referendum. Those funds played a significant part in the referendum campaign across the UK and the public have a right to know precisely where that money came from.”

Serious questions remain over the DUP’s spending on the EU referendum in June 2016 – including a £435,000 donation from a group called the Constitutional Research Council (CRC), chaired by Richard Cook, a former vice-chairman of the Scottish Conservatives and Unionist party.

The DUP spent more than £280,000 of that money on a wraparound advertisement in the London-based Metro newspaper, which is not distributed in Northern Ireland.

On Monday night, the government attempted to enact the transparency rules in the legislation via statutory instrument, a process which allows the provisions of an act of parliament to come into force or be altered without parliament having to debate them.

However, after objections by Labour at the last-minute nature of the SI, the measure will now be put to a vote on Wednesday, where the party will attempt to get the law backdated to its introduction in 2014. Conservative MPs are under a three-line whip to oppose.

A Labour source said: “The government tried to pull a fast one and got their minister to sit down early so they could vote on the SIs last night rather than deferred on Wednesday. We stopped it but it’s very unusual and shows the nervousness on this, especially the NI political donations.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Personally little, but there will be the total ball-ache of needing to get dual citizenship.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Yes, the Times (presumably more palatable to a Brexiteer) also carried the report about the government's determined efforts to conceal the true source of a £425,000 Leave campaign donation. It was immediately above a note about ministers' success in hiding, for the time being anyway, details of the government's 'studies' into the economic effects of Brexit on 58 sectors of the economy.

I suppose Brexiteers on here will support this sort of behaviour. It's all part of the shambles they voted for.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So Donald Tusk rules out May's pick-and-mix approach from her speech on Friday as being viable, surprise, surprise.

Interesting that also he mentions flight disruption post Brexit and that talks need to start on that immediately - I thought that one wasn't a problem according to The Brexiteers on here. I had such faith in David Davis and Chris Grayling too................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here