Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone’s goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's just nonsense. You had to have been there to have seen it and not watching on a tv. It was magnificent. The Amex crowd went nuts. The tv replays don't do it justice.
It just wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I keep wondering why didn't Tomkins put it behind for a corner when he had the ball
He never really had the ball, he'd just run the length of the pitch at full pace to stay with Andone, then Andone cut it back a little into Tomkins path, but Tomkins was now goal-side of the ball, and had to play it with his left foot. Putting it out for a corner wasn't really an option.
instead he appears to try and pass it back to Sakho but due to his momentum he doesn't get enough on the pass and basically lays on a perfectly weighted pass straight into Andone's path. Idiot.
Indeed.

Although it was a costly mistake, it's understandable that it happened IMO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like to pause it as van Aanholt is about to shoot. We score in 16 seconds. I can't stop watching it, and I still can't believe it. I'm not sure he can either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the feeling of going from pure fear that we were down to 10 and about to watch 70 minutes of wave after wave of palace attack (didn’t materialise in the end), to pure ecstasy as balogun volleyed home rates highly in terms of enjoyment.
I guess it depends on your confidence levels. It was indeed great, but when Balagun scored there was still 70 minutes left, so I was still feeling quite cautious. Getting the third just on the stroke of half time was enough for me to join your party :)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I guess it depends on your confidence levels. It was indeed great, but when Balagun scored there was still 70 minutes left, so I was still feeling quite cautious. Getting the third just on the stroke of half time was enough for me to join your party :)

Yes, fully agree. That third really meant that we would get three points, though for the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half, I worried that they might get a quick reply. But I really need not have woried for too long, as they were so woeful -really no surprise that they have scored so few goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Blimey, I thought I was the resident pessimist.

I saw nothing from palace to suggest anything other than an easy win after Murray's goal.
Sure there was 2 minutes of slight doubt as Duffy trudged off, but Balagun saw them off quick enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True but the Palace back line are truly woeful.
Are they really that bad? They've let in 20 - the same as Arsenal, 5 less than Man U. Less than us, less than most sides. Their problem is that they have no decent strikers. Tomkins is generally doing well, he just struggled on a day when our entire team were up for it. The Palace back line are doing ok against PL sides every week, so don't take anything away from Andone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess this means he was all over the pitch (which it did seem like). Is this a good thing necessarily? Not sure I know how to interpret the graphic. Can anyone help?
Esp if it included the amount of rash challenges he threw himself in.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I guess this means he was all over the pitch (which it did seem like). Is this a good thing necessarily? Not sure I know how to interpret the graphic. Can anyone help?

If you are a striker and you are getting that many touches in those positions then you are working bloody hard.

You could argue that you don't neccessarily want your striker coming so deep to get the ball, but then remember that in this game we were a man short and without a No.10 while Andone was on, so him doing that makes perfect sense.

It's also a very impressive number of touches when you consider that Palace had just shy of 70% possession, no doubt higher than that if you were to recalculate for after Andone came on/the sending off.

& That's over 70 minutes not 90 too.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
yay!

From the Argus match report archive:

"Dunk failed to cleanly control a routine pass from Bruno and, as the ball ran away from him, tripped the goalbound Yannick Bolasie....."
Oh shit :blush:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
IMO, if your striker is having to work so hard defending and closing down opponents that they're no longer in the right position for when we have the ball, and they no longer have the explosive energy do attack, then no it's not necessarily a good thing. Florin, however, showed he could do it all, so in his case, it's a great thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blimey, I thought I was the resident pessimist.
I've generally been feeling that way since we've been in the PL. Each of the final years we were in the Championship seemed to get harder, and I think it's got harder still since we were promoted - although I really enjoy Championship football, I don't want us to go back, for the fear of not being able to get promoted again. So I don't feel like our games are won until they really are.

On Tuesday I was pretty confident after 4 minutes of added time :)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The thing that gets me about MOTD not waxing lyrical about Andone's goal is that it is such an unusual type of goal, no matter who / which team scores it. You just hardly ever see that type of goal at the top level of football. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it in terms of where Andone collected the ball and what he had to do before even getting a sniff of the goal. Yes, we see some cracking strikes from 30 yards and everyone goes on about them on the TV, but they are very common compared to Andone's. It just highlights a huge lack of imagination on the part of the program.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here