Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bright 10 for me and looking forward to it after missing Barns Green.

Not sure how I'm going to get on or my time, but not overly concerned, just looking forward to running again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So who's still standing for events this weekend?

I'm doing 1066 but feel hopelessly under-cooked - planning 9 min miles. Anyone else? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] I think.

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?
Bright10 for me - with a few miles either side to make up the distance for a Beachy Head training run (albeit on flat rather than hills or SDW).

Pacing at parkrun tomorrow if you're around. If not, all the best for 1066.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bright 10 for me and looking forward to it after missing Barns Green.

Not sure how I'm going to get on or my time, but not overly concerned, just looking forward to running again.
Might be a bit tardy for you but there's a bunch of us running 80 mins. Should be quite good atmosphere of you don't want to/can't go at your normal rapid pace...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Might be a bit tardy for you but there's a bunch of us running 80 mins. Should be quite good atmosphere of you don't want to/can't go at your normal rapid pace...

Great word tardy. Pedestrian would also describe 8" mile pace for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. As I'm still hobbling I may cycle to my beach hut and have breakfast whilst watching the start and finish. You should spot me it will be one of the few open ones between The Drive and King Alfred.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try and hold 7 minute per mile pace as long as possible. Looks like a right mixed bag weather wise, but at least the wind will largely be blowing across rather than into you for the race.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - I'll look out for you and give you a wave.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've just been asked to help out with the photography at this event. A proud day, as its my first official sporting engagement behind the lens and it just happens to be in Brighton (along with the only two running events I've ever participated in both being in the city too).

Weather forecast is grim but try and give us a smile at 3.5 and 7 miles. The guy with the camera and the high-vis is a Seagull at heart.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
With the rain today and forecast for tomorrow, I am leaning towards trail shoes. I don't know what the course will be like - any insights from the local boys? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
With the rain today and forecast for tomorrow, I am leaning towards trail shoes. I don't know what the course will be like - any insights from the local boys? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION]

Think I read it was half tarmac and half track/trail. It's a tough one to call as the ground was really hard and dry and forecasts are mixed as to quantity of rain tonight. Think I'll stick to road shoes but may change my mind in the morning

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran the 1066 today and it lived up to expectations. Fantastic course really picturesque cutting through agricultural East Sussex with a mixture of roads, trails, fields and woodland. Really good humoured with lots of chain mail, swords, shields and plenty of helmets. Quite hilly, mile 14 was interesting and couldn't ever go too far without having to negotiate a gate or style with knock on bottlenecking. Finished at Battle Abbey. Just under 18 miles in 2:17. Happy with that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ran the 1066 today and it lived up to expectations. Fantastic course really picturesque cutting through agricultural East Sussex with a mixture of roads, trails, fields and woodland. Really good humoured with lots of chain mail, swords, shields and plenty of helmets. Quite hilly, mile 14 was interesting and couldn't ever go too far without having to negotiate a gate or style with knock on bottlenecking. Finished at Battle Abbey. Just under 18 miles in 2:17. Happy with that.

That's a brilliant time for that distance and terrain. Well done.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Could nt agree more. Super course, absolutely stunning in parts. Can't believe the rain held off as well. The hills in the secondhalf were certainly challenging, so glad I opted for trail shoes at the last minute, some of the downhills were pretty treacherous.

Sorry not to see you and well done on your time. I came in at 2:44 which I'm delighted with.given the last couple of months I was just happy to be on the start line.

Definitely plan to do this one again in 2066.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Need some advice NSC Runners - Garmin watches.
Looking to spend around £200 - £250 on a decent running watch, could anyone recommend a good watch for that spend?
Thanks in advance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Need some advice NSC Runners - Garmin watches.
Looking to spend around £200 - £250 on a decent running watch, could anyone recommend a good watch for that spend?
Thanks in advance.

I can't give you any up to date advice other than to say I bought a Garmin 210 years ago and it's still going strong. It's basic by today's standards but suits my needs. Definitely stick with Garmin.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Could nt agree more. Super course, absolutely stunning in parts. Can't believe the rain held off as well. The hills in the secondhalf were certainly challenging, so glad I opted for trail shoes at the last minute, some of the downhills were pretty treacherous.

Sorry not to see you and well done on your time. I came in at 2:44 which I'm delighted with.given the last couple of months I was just happy to be on the start line.

Definitely plan to do this one again in 2066.

Glad you're back amongst the throng.
I've deferred today's entry, so see you in 2066. Wonder what the age grading will be at 107 years old? 8 hours?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Went down to watch Bright10 this morning. Funny perspective being a spectator. I'm convinced I would have come first. Caught up with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], who finished faster than my 10k pace, still feeling his hamstring. Particularly interesting to hear about the reason for the scar on his neck. Also caught up with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] talking about getting sea sick, if he runs too near the sea, or something like that.:lol::lol: Maybe he should move to Croydon?

Good event, quiet due to weather forecast, blustery conditions and no rain. Well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here