Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Helped by a quick chat with @Guiness Boy last night. Asked him if he would get sub 4 next month and his grim determined response showed a focus I was missing in training. I could see the Finish Tape in his eyes. So with a month left before the taper decided to set the final target and assess progress so far.
Happy with progress. Accumulative fatigue from distance and hills showing results. Want to up mileage for 2 weeks though so elevation is going out the window until Sunday week to help with extra load.
Then want a sub 1:45 at Hastings (35 seconds off last year).
The marathon target is sub 3:50 @8:44 pace. I want to enjoy it this year and killing myself trying to knock 10 minutes off that is not worth what happened to me in the last 10 miles last year.
Have two attainable goals to work towards. You young gazelles can all be waiting in the pub with my pints lined up for me!

Was that Meja... You were talking to @GB or someone with a similar story? It dawned on me afterwards.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
A bit late with my update from Sunday but another PB from the Brighton half for me. Official times was 2.03.47 so a PB by just over 7 minutes. I also beat my previous Brighton time by 9 minutes. My goal was to stick with the 2 hour pacer for as long as I could. Had to slow a little after 8 miles to make sure I finished! So I need to find 3.47 at some point to break the 2 hour barrier!

https://www.strava.com/activities/506410455

Overall I had a fab day Sunday, near perfect running conditions, saw Guinness Boy pre race and lots of others along the course or afterwards. I have to confess to being totally shattered at the finish line as think I pushed myself pretty much to my limit. Ended the day with a massive Sunday Roast and big pudding at the Signalman near London Road station with a few mates.

Next up North London half on Sunday 20th March with the finish line in Wembley Stadium. Will be out to enjoy the time rather than a PB for this one!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A bit late with my update from Sunday but another PB from the Brighton half for me. Official times was 2.03.47 so a PB by just over 7 minutes. I also beat my previous Brighton time by 9 minutes. My goal was to stick with the 2 hour pacer for as long as I could. Had to slow a little after 8 miles to make sure I finished! So I need to find 3.47 at some point to break the 2 hour barrier!

Overall I had a fab day Sunday, near perfect running conditions, saw Guinness Boy pre race and lots of others along the course or afterwards. I have to confess to being totally shattered at the finish line as think I pushed myself pretty much to my limit. Ended the day with a massive Sunday Roast and big pudding at the Signalman near London Road station with a few mates.

Next up North London half on Sunday 20th March with the finish line in Wembley Stadium. Will be out to enjoy the time rather than a PB for this one!

You've got to be pleased taking so much off your pb. Are you making a weekend of the NL Half? It's a convenient location with MK Dons away the day before.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Big improvement there, well done......sub 2 very easily within reach with I'd guess 6-8 weeks of decent training. Mix of speed work and a bit of speed endurance and it'd be in the bag.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Helped by a quick chat with @Guiness Boy last night. Asked him if he would get sub 4 next month and his grim determined response showed a focus I was missing in training. I could see the Finish Tape in his eyes. So with a month left before the taper decided to set the final target and assess progress so far.
Happy with progress. Accumulative fatigue from distance and hills showing results. Want to up mileage for 2 weeks though so elevation is going out the window until Sunday week to help with extra load.
The marathon target is sub 3:50 @8:44 pace. I want to enjoy it this year and killing myself trying to knock 10 minutes off that is not worth what happened to me in the last 10 miles last year.
Have two attainable goals to work towards. You young gazelles can all be waiting in the pub with my pints lined up for me!

Was that Meja... You were talking to @GB or someone with a similar story? It dawned on me afterwards.

You are beginning to sound awesomely focused..................As for me and my modest little duathlon, I had a try-out yesterday along the prom. My god it was windy. A strong wind blows away any targets other than to stay upright. Got told off by a lady with a dog for cycling too fast downwind. No such problem when I turned back into it..............

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You are beginning to sound awesomely focused..................As for me and my modest little duathlon, I had a try-out yesterday along the prom. My god it was windy. A strong wind blows away any targets other than to stay upright. Got told off by a lady with a dog for cycling too fast downwind. No such problem when I turned back into it..............

That wind must have been good practice for staying upright without stabilisers. My focus is still there but I have just had a 3 day complete rest. Have spent the time eating ridiculous amounts every hour or so. Instead of feeling raring to go I obviously feel very heavy in the muscles and ready to lie down. Back out today to build up more appetite. Still need to recover from hills though, may have to move to a bungalow.........

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A cough has dive bombed my training for the marathon, not done much of anything after a 16 mile run a week and a half back. Holding up and going to try for a short jog tonight and 18 miles this Sunday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A cough has dive bombed my training for the marathon, not done much of anything after a 16 mile run a week and a half back. Holding up and going to try for a short jog tonight and 18 miles this Sunday.

You're still well on track. Seems like most of NSC are up to between 16-18 for the BM.

My personal preference for tapering is 2 weeks rather than 3 so I've got at least four long runs to go and I'm up to 17 now. I'm not planning on running much past 18 or 30 kilometres, would rather preserve the body then push for 20 if it's too gruelling.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You're still well on track. Seems like most of NSC are up to between 16-18 for the BM.

My personal preference for tapering is 2 weeks rather than 3 so I've got at least four long runs to go and I'm up to 17 now. I'm not planning on running much past 18 or 30 kilometres, would rather preserve the body then push for 20 if it's too gruelling.

Thought of you this morning as I managed a 8 mile/hr run (albeit just over) in training. I was well below it during Worthing Half, but there were times when I took it easy this morning - trying to get the negative splits right...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1071263217

Saw @Guiness Boy on his travels and he was looking good. From what I saw, and what [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is saying, he appears in the zone. I'm going for 3:45 in Brighton with a few others, by the way, Stu, so feel free to join the same train and we'll try and get each other over the line!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good to have a pint! I was ruined on Tuesday between the Leeds game and the half and ran my worst six miles for a very long time, including an 11 minute mile. Not Mejona afaik, my mate Dom from poker and he ran 1.55

Thought of you this morning as I managed a 8 mile/hr run (albeit just over) in training. I was well below it during Worthing Half, but there were times when I took it easy this morning - trying to get the negative splits right...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1071263217

Saw @Guiness Boy on his travels and he was looking good. From what I saw, and what [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is saying, he appears in the zone. I'm going for 3:45 in Brighton with a few others, by the way, Stu, so feel free to join the same train and we'll try and get each other over the line!

Thanks again! Today was significantly better than Tuesday. Jogged it out to Buckingham Road and then ran negatives home. Which was nice.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As soon as I set a target to focus on I get an offer to up the pace per mile by 11 seconds. Thanks but this man is not for turning. I will set off as targeted and if good on the day push on after 10 miles. A repeat of last year and Guiness Boy will mechanically pass me whilst I am walking for the umpteenth time over the final 5 miles. I am targeting negative splits, an enjoyable Run and not to be overtaken by hundreds near the finish.
Cheers anyway.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well done - you've accomplished something that most people will never do (and that includes me). The love/hate thing is curious and part of the appeal for me and I experienced both on my run last night.

A niggling old injury must detract from things somewhat, but it's great you got around regardless.

You can DEF do a half matey - Brighton half next year would be a great starter and you have a year to prepare!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Anybody else doing Steyning on Sunday?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looks to me like [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has done a pretty good Prom Parkrun.When is he going to slow down!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks to me like [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has done a pretty good Prom Parkrun.When is he going to slow down!

I'm still improving. Just had a look at previous times and November 14 I was running 5k's at 6:40 pace which was the pace I ran Sunday's half. Just shows what you can do even with just 2/3 runs a week.Hope the improvement continues but can only see small gains rather than huge inroads into times. Next aim is Brighton Marathon 3:15:00 and I'm still yet to post a sub 40 10k so want to change that ASAP.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Just seen your time, best so far this year. Was it a sprint finish with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] noticed a mere 4 second gap between you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You can DEF do a half matey - Brighton half next year would be a great starter and you have a year to prepare!

Sorry - only just seen this.

I was running halfs last year once a month, with my longest run being 15 or 16 miles. These were just me going out running though - I meant I'd not competed in, and completed, a competitive event.

I hope to be back at that distance again come May or June.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here