Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Went to Ghent last weekend on a stag do and brought some beers back from De Gruut - a brewery we visited that does not use any hops in their brewing. Had their Bruin which was quite lovely and have the Inferno to come. It's interesting though the diversity of Belgium brewing and how they can use a touch of orange zest and a hint of fresh coriander to come up with some lovely blonde and amber beers (we had a tasting there)
One of his beers he told us was often likened to our mild but I never quite got that one but great to try some other stuff.
On the whole I bloody love Belgium ales.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Dogfish Head are at in again. Not content with great beer, the craft beer 'party' bus, they are opening up the Dodfish Inn, in their home State of Delaware, in Lewes, quite close to the brewery.

http://www.dogfishinn.com/home

I've just booked a weekend in August for family Chavez. Should be interesting!

Looks like they are also branching out into food products as well. I saw these bad boys in my local Whole Foods.

Dogfish Head speciality sausages

Picked up some with my 60 minute IPA, very nice but not as good as M&S bangers

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
From The Onion, reminds me of a few on this thread

Insufferable Man Utters Words ‘Craft Beer Movement’

PORTLAND, OR—Sources within local pub Sullivan’s confirmed Thursday that an insufferably awful bar patron used the phrase “craft beer movement” in a fully sincere, unironic sentence. “I think the craft beer movement has completely revolutionized the bottled and draft beer industry,” said the truly unbearable man as he ordered another Fat Tire, seemingly unaware that the words coming out of his mouth were making all in earshot feel an acute mixture of revulsion and rage. “The flavor profiles alone are so much more complex, and I think the true innovators in the movement have reinvented beer, and craft beer specifically, as a luxury item.” At press time, the insufferable male was speaking at length, and without prompting, about his own home brew.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lovely afternoon in the Wandering Goose today.

Pleased to see some new breweries on tap, including Four Pure in London, who is a former acquaintance of mine through work. Ended up having a Hibernation White IPA, which was an American IPA, with Belgian 'Wit' Beer hops. Very interesting, crisp and decent beer at 5.6%. Then tried a Ginger Cider, which was nothing like I expected, which was more of a 'Ginger Beer' type drink, but worked really well with some fresh lime in there. Then finished off with a collab from Fyne Ale & Wild Beer Co. A very refreshing 2.9% Cucumber & Mint Saison. Absolutely gorgeous, was like a Pimms without the sweetness and fruit, had bit of a spice afternote to it too. A one off apparently, but would have enjoyed some bottles of that for lazy Sundays in the sun!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Found a great pub in Cardiff whilst working there last week called the Urban Tap House just over the road from the Millenium Stadium. Had a Tiny Rebel
FUBAR & Kernel Simcoe Centennial IPA 7.0%. They had Dark Star Partridge and Sunburst also on tap. Also had a huge range of Cider's pretty similar set up to the Craft in Brighton.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Lovely afternoon in the Wandering Goose today.

Pleased to see some new breweries on tap, including Four Pure in London, who is a former acquaintance of mine through work. Ended up having a Hibernation White IPA, which was an American IPA, with Belgian 'Wit' Beer hops. Very interesting, crisp and decent beer at 5.6%. Then tried a Ginger Cider, which was nothing like I expected, which was more of a 'Ginger Beer' type drink, but worked really well with some fresh lime in there. Then finished off with a collab from Fyne Ale & Wild Beer Co. A very refreshing 2.9% Cucumber & Mint Saison. Absolutely gorgeous, was like a Pimms without the sweetness and fruit, had bit of a spice afternote to it too. A one off apparently, but would have enjoyed some bottles of that for lazy Sundays in the sun!

I am just trying to get my head around a one off cucumber and mint saison. I reckon they must have tried about 50 variations and had to chuck 49 away for tasting foul. Having found one that worked I bet no one could actually remember how they had made it. I have yet to try the Wandering Goose, but you are doing a pretty good job of selling it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am just trying to get my head around a one off cucumber and mint saison. I reckon they must have tried about 50 variations and had to chuck 49 away for tasting foul. Having found one that worked I bet no one could actually remember how they had made it. I have yet to try the Wandering Goose, but you are doing a pretty good job of selling it.

Ha. I bet you are right! Wandering Goose is a perfect pub for me, although a bit small for Fri/Sat nights. The staff are knowledgable, without being overbearing and a bit chin-strokey. Definitely worth a trip over from Shoreham!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
With the influx of Craft beer places and existing fine pubs I was looking at a pub crawl to take in a selection of the best. What are everyone's thoughts on the following route:-

1. The Evening Star
2. The Albert
3. Brewdog (If this replaces the Blind Tiger)
4. The North Laine
5. The Basketmakers
6. The Hobgoblin
7. The Hare & Hound
8. The Cow
9. The Craft
10. Brighton Beer Dispensary

Any thoughts? Could this be improved?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With the influx of Craft beer places and existing fine pubs I was looking at a pub crawl to take in a selection of the best. What are everyone's thoughts on the following route:-

1. The Evening Star
2. The Albert
3. Brewdog (If this replaces the Blind Tiger)
4. The North Laine
5. The Basketmakers
6. The Hobgoblin
7. The Hare & Hound
8. The Cow
9. The Craft
10. Brighton Beer Dispensary

Any thoughts? Could this be improved?

I would slip The Prince George in at the bottom of Trafalgar Street after The Albert, lots of decent local ales and Harvey's if you are not in the mood for drinking. You could nip over the road to the Evening Star too as they have the odd good beer and a healthy selection of bottled Belgians.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I would slip The Prince George in at the bottom of Trafalgar Street after The Albert, lots of decent local ales and Harvey's if you are not in the mood for drinking. You could nip over the road to the Evening Star too as they have the odd good beer and a healthy selection of bottled Belgians.

Top work, sir.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

He had that at No 1 veg. The Evening Star that is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He had that at No 1 veg. The Evening Star that is.

Sorry, been quaffing, I meant the Great Eastern at the bottom of Trafalgar Street, not The Evening Star.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry, been quaffing, I meant the Great Eastern at the bottom of Trafalgar Street, not The Evening Star.

Great Eastern...... Tatty old boozer. The only times I have been in there and granted its pre- match at about 12.00 they never have enough staff on. Might be better in the evening, I don't know but too close to the Prince George to get a shout I reckon. Mind you I wouldn't have The Basketmakers on my list if it's beer we are on about. Pubs ok and I know Fullers saved us in the day but better things out there now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Great Eastern...... Tatty old boozer. The only times I have been in there and granted its pre- match at about 12.00 they never have enough staff on. Might be better in the evening, I don't know but too close to the Prince George to get a shout I reckon.

They do have some bottled Icelandic lagers and heavily tattooed bar staff so it's in.... You should try The Hare and Hounds by the fire station, they have a 6 Stone Asian barmaid, of which, 1 Stone is jewelery and tattoos.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Great Eastern...... Tatty old boozer. The only times I have been in there and granted its pre- match at about 12.00 they never have enough staff on. Might be better in the evening, I don't know but too close to the Prince George to get a shout I reckon. Mind you I wouldn't have The Basketmakers on my list if it's beer we are on about. Pubs ok and I know Fullers saved us in the day but better things out there now.

Just remember the shout out for The Hobgoblin.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I like the Great Eastern serves a great roast on a Sunday and has the best whiskey/bourbon selection in Brighton.

The George is good too, can remember them having Longman on tap amongst 3/4 other local ales.

I've got no problem putting either or both in. 12 pubs is do able, I reckon 7/8 hours required with the walking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here