Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ulloa - should we sign him in the summer?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We had the opportunity to buy him back in January, but the club publicly started that they were only interested in a loan deal. Why would things have changed/ He has barelystarted a game for us since he signed.

Probably depending on which division we were In, neither party would be willing if we were back in the championship

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Agree re Sam Baldock. He has never had the chance to show whether or not he can hack Premier League football with us, due to his lengthy injury absence in the first half of the season. I don't expect him to add goals to the team, but do perhaps think he has something different to offer from what we currently have.

H eis obviously anxious io impress and be offered a new deal, as per his article in the Amex this week. Personally l think he may be offered another year.
He was given a 3 year deal in June, I doubt they would look at it again now. This was mainly to protect his value IMO anyway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I would most definitely say no. He does not have the correct mix of pace, skills and work-rate to play as a single striker worth signing on a long term contract. Most concerning for me is his pace and Murray made him look quick.

The problem the Club has is there are too many fans who have some level of romanticism about old players, which was one reason why Zamora was such a hit when he came back, irrespective of his lack of fitness and pace.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No - too slow - need real pace upfront

Baldock gives you pace up front but CH won’t play 2 up front
A big target man with pace and Premiership Standard are like Rocking Horse Shit and no where within our price range

Baldock not up to it - will be off in summer hopefully

Yep, as [MENTION=2883]durrington gull[/MENTION] has clarified we need players who are both pacey AND of Premier League standard.

In fact, if you look at any of the top teams in this league one of the key differences is they have pace in every position, the striker positions aside, I think we need to add pace wherever possible whilst also upgrading positions.

With regard to the strikers, I'd start with Murray & Locadia and add A more mobile / younger target man to be first choice (with Murray as cover) and a fast skilful striker (in either the Jermaine Defoe (small) or Marcus Rashford (taller) mould) who can play off the striker, up front as a front 3 or occasionally wide in a 3, alongside the target man. It will depend on who we get as to whether Locadia is 2nd in line or not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem the Club has is there are too many fans who have some level of romanticism about old players, which was one reason why Zamora was such a hit when he came back, irrespective of his lack of fitness and pace.

Murray - big success. Zamora - decent output, big signing that gave the club huge impetus going into 2015/16. Ulloa - sensible signing, good cover for Glenn, beautiful headed goal in the cup shows he still has ability. Even Crofts and Sidwell were good, solid, sensible signings.

I don't have anything against going back in for ex-players, provided they can do a job in the form and age that they're at.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, good squad player. We need depth. We have been exceptionally lucky with injuries the last couple of years, and have got through this season with minimal depth at some positions. Ulloa would be a very nice add.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, good squad player. We need depth. We have been exceptionally lucky with injuries the last couple of years, and have got through this season with minimal depth at some positions. Ulloa would be a very nice add.

Always assuming Ulloa is happy to be just a squad player then. That was because he wanted out from Leicester, because he wasn't starting games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always assuming Ulloa is happy to be just a squad player then. That was because he wanted out from Leicester, because he wasn't starting games.

He was at the bottom of a very long list of strikers at Leicester.
Probably a list longer than contracted strikers the Albion has had since the last time he was here. :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I don't think he was even making the bench at Leicester. He's further up our pecking order than he was there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he is an improvement on Hemed or Baldock so if we can sell Hemed for a sensible price and Ulloa doesnt cost much more I would say go for it. He showed against Spurs what he has to offer when he came on, unlike Murray who hadnt won a header all evening he came on and won everyone plus laying off the ball on the ground.....Murray did the spade work and Ulloa carried it on with a good performance. I would like a 4th striker to replace Baldock, someone like Choupo-Moting of Stoke but perhaps that is being greedy.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Certainly not as he's not goner get better next season to be fair.Must get more pace in the side and more importantly we need a couple of quality central midfielders that will take us to the next level and offer more in attack unlike our current crop.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, although as to signing him permanantly, that's a no from me. We have an ageing squad with too many playwers the wrong side of 30. I'm sure that there are younger, hungrier, pacier players out there. No time for sentiment in this game, it's time to move on now.

Good post. With another £100m coming and an awfully slow team, why start next season with your 2 main strikers being slow 35 and 32 year olds?

I would buy him and sell Hemed, but we need another decent striker. I do feel we need to invest in a strong holding midfield player and play a 4-4-2 again, with Gross in the attacking central role behind the two strikers.I think you would get more out of Ulloa and Murray then.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Was an ideal loan at the right time but no I wouldn't sign him permanently except on a free IF we got a fee for both Hemed and Baldock which won't happen.

We can sign better and he's no longer worth his high wages however nice a bloke he is who tries hard and is an OK EPL player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here