Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best Punk Rock Song ?

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Really enjoying this thread, but there does seem to be a lot of snobbery about what is punk and if punk is actually dead. What does that even mean? If punk is the lifespan of The Sex Pistols, then I suppose it is. But it didn't die because Danny Baker said so. He was part of an arty clic that created a scene in London. For me it goes way beyond that original scene and way beyond the Pistols and is still smashing down doors today. Did metal die after Sabbath released a couple of albums? Did thrash die because Metallica got too big. For me it's about the sound and the style, so lets leave some of that indie twaddle ( Joy Division, The Fall, Comsat Angels ) at the door. Punk didn't evolve into those bands, it became much greater with the second wave of 'real punk', The Cockney Rejects, The Exploited, GBH, UK Subs ..et al.
I spent a large part of the arse end of 1977 and early 1978 frequenting The Alhambra, The Buccaneer, The Crypt/Vault and The Richmond. Followed lots of the local bands that appeared on the two Vaultage albums. Still follow The Test Tubes today and was in Peacehaven on Saturday and The Albert in December.
For me punk never died, the music anyway, it just continued and evolved. It some ways it split into factions. You had the trad stuff with bands like The Damned, 999, Sham 69, and then you had the crusty punk bands , Discharge, Crass, Conflict and then of course the Oi stuff , Rejects , 4 skins , Business. All different styles and with different politics, but all with a common denominator. They all made a bloody good racket. It was noisy , a bit yobby and a load of fun. Other bands came and went . Anti Nowhere League are still with us, the Ruts are sadly not although Ruts DC did play in Balcombe on Saturday.
So the point is, punk is still around. You can go to Rebellion in the summer and enjoy 4 days of punk rock and catch a lot the old bands, or you can catch some of the bands that came after, mostly American, Agnostic Front , Sick of it All, Cro Mags, Rancid (saw all four of these bands seperatly last year) or catch some bands this year. Just seen The Exploited in London, will be seeing Sham 69 and the Angelic Upstarts in Brighton, The Cockney Rejects in Lewes, The Test Tubes in Brighton as well as a double header of DRI and MDC in London to name a few.
And just to prove there are new bands coming through. Checkout Maid of Ace from Hastings. saw them in Lewes after the Leicester game. Absolute glorious noise.

Punk never really died. Some it is just about hanging on, but there is a new skin from the old carcass that refuses to go away.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

I worked with Colin many years ago, and Martin from the band used to deliver stuff from the west country as well. They were really lovely people, never saw Flux but used to go and see him in the band he had at the time Hotalatio. He was so pleased that Keith Le Blanc of Tackhead had produced it and given it such a great sound. Dereck the bassist ran/runs Little Indian Records that released the Flux albums. Remember Colin would go down to BBC studiosat night and give John Peel a copy of his new releases, who would then always play them. They were still so true to the beliefs they sang about on Strive to Survive and Uncarved Block whuch were great albums. Really upset I missed them support Crass in 2008 at the Shepherds Bush Empire, for a charity do. But totally agree two brilliant albums from Flux, remember buying strive on a pay no more than 99p from Virgin Records in Queens Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmC2DfoEJU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here