Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English National Anthem / England v Sri Lanka WT20

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
3 dropped catches, a missed easy run out and a catch that 2 players left. Going well. :thumbsup:

So bad it's laughable. :lolol:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well, well.

What a surprise.

England turn up for major international cricket tournament, England stink the place out and come home with tails between their legs.

The T20 win 4 years ago aside this has been what has happened at every overseas tournament since 1993. Considering there are only ever 8 countries competing at the very highest level it is disgusting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You've got to take into account that the Jayawardene catch that was an absolute dead cert caught off his first ball changed the game. It was a terrible terrible decision, and England's fragile confidence collapsed. Yes England should have recovered, but like a refereeing decision in a football match can change a game, this absolutely transformed this match from England having them 4-2 at the start of the second over, to 144-1 now.

Steve Davis the Aussie 3rd umpire is either on the take, or not fit to judge cricket incidents on a screen. He is the same idiot that made so many errors in the Ashes over here. I've just seen it again, and it is ridiculous a man looking at a screen of 5 different angles can't see that as caught. It's an absolute shocker.

Been unlucky in this tournament, the D/L method in T20 is not fit for purpose and we were royally stitched up at the weekend, and now we're out of it playing Sri Lanka because of an Aussie.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
After listening to England's and Sri Lanka's national anthems before the cricket today I've decided that ours is incredibly boring and needs to be changed.

Any suggestions?
[yt]Tw7EJ_mTmdM[/yt]

This?

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
You've got to take into account that the Jayawardene catch that was an absolute dead cert caught off his first ball changed the game. It was a terrible terrible decision, and England's fragile confidence collapsed. Yes England should have recovered, but like a refereeing decision in a football match can change a game, this absolutely transformed this match from England having them 4-2 at the start of the second over, to 144-1 now.

Steve Davis the Aussie 3rd umpire is either on the take, or not fit to judge cricket incidents on a screen. He is the same idiot that made so many errors in the Ashes over here. I've just seen it again, and it is ridiculous a man looking at a screen of 5 different angles can't see that as caught. It's an absolute shocker.

Been unlucky in this tournament, the D/L method in T20 is not fit for purpose and we were royally stitched up at the weekend, and now we're out of it playing Sri Lanka because of an Aussie.

To be fair Jayawardene shouldn't have been out there in the first place because the first wicket was definitely not out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be fair Jayawardene shouldn't have been out there in the first place because the first wicket was definitely not out.

Debatable. Could have easily feathered the glove and not shown a great deal on the seam to the tv cameras. Bowler, keeper and fielders went up in unison. Can't see as you can say definitely not out when there is no hot spot, snicko to look at. Umpire must have heard a noise as did the surrounding fielders.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
have you only heard our anthem today for the first time then?

God save the queen is recognised worldwide, and is the de facto English national anthem so what if England doesnt have an 'official' one. what is boring is this debate, no respect for tradition, the best argument in favour of changing is the tediously unimaginative t 'its a dirge'. god what a boring parroted line that is.

Oh I see Jerusalem has cropped up below. its all going to form.

its a dirge - check
I like Jerusalem - check
I am a republican - check
The others play different ones at the rugby I want one too - check
i have absolutely no respect for tradition and am full of post devolution insecurity - check

Well done. Ticked almost all of the counter argument boxes. Should have mentioned being 'ashamed' though. That would have been the full house.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's our game and we should sulk all of the way home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shall we have a sweep?

I guess 132/7

A nice cautious start, so as not to 'lose early wickets', taking us the to healthy position of 45/2 after 10 overs :ffsparr:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
SL scored 12 run p/o for the last 10. After the first 6 we had an opportunity to keep the score tight and low, we blew that. Obviously though, that catch of Bresnan's may have changed things.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"England will need a good start to their innings and a good end to it. They'll also need to be good in the middle!"

Vic Marks TMS. :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm going to guess this run chase will consist of:

Early Wicket(s)
Getting behind in the run rate early on
Desperately trying to hit Mendis after falling behind and failing miserably.
All out for about 130.

Anything else?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I think there should be an anthem for each sport. The one for the England cricket team should be to the tune of Rock the Casbah:"Our fielding is atrocious - drop the catches, drop the catches'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Early Wicket(s)
All out for about 130.

Anything else?

That pretty much covers it. Who we playing next?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

Early Wicket(s)
All out for about 130.

Anything else?

Tim Bresnan scoring 22 off 30, coming in when we require 12 runs p/o.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here