Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South of India

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
That and Mahabalipuram on the east coast.

The best two words in Bangalore and across South India are 'Meals Ready', written on the boards outside the thali restaurants: unlimited veggie curry for little more than a few pence... :drool:

Only been to Delhi, Agra, Gurgaon i'm afraid. Don't look beggars in the eye and do not allow organised trips to stop off at rug makers or the like, they will make it tough for you to leave without buying anything. Amazing country though

This, this and this. Although, I'm not sure whats left of Mahabalipuram after the tsunami, from what I heard from people I know out there it got totalled :(

Biggest tip I can give anyone is by reflective sunglasses - that way the beggars can't see your eyes. I went and worked with the YMCA Boy's Town orphanage in Chennai a few years ago - the best thing I remember was playing cricket against a bunch of 8 year olds, and them bowling at us like Mitchell Johnson on speed. Their passion for cricket was blinding!!! Also got to play volleyball against the Indian Mens Volleyball team - we beat them quite comfortably from what I remember :D

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
This, this and this. Although, I'm not sure whats left of Mahabalipuram after the tsunami, from what I heard from people I know out there it got totalled :(

'tis true that I was there before the tsunami. From what I heard the beach restaurants got wiped out, but have since been restored/replaced. The monuments all survived intact though. And a quick look on Tripadvisor seems to indicate the guesthouse I stayed in was still/back in business as of 2013. I doubt if you visited now that you'd realise anything bad had happened.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
'tis true that I was there before the tsunami. From what I heard the beach restaurants got wiped out, but have since been restored/replaced. The monuments all survived intact though. And a quick look on Tripadvisor seems to indicate the guesthouse I stayed in was still/back in business as of 2013. I doubt if you visited now that you'd realise anything bad had happened.

It was absolutely stunning when I went (2000), did you know it was where they filmed the original bounty advert in the 60's?!?!? :)

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Spent three weeks travelling from Delhi,Jaipur and aggra down through Hyderabad to Kerala.Tourist traps but such a lot to see.
Absolutely love the place and people.
We took a cholera treatment before,even though we didn't go near any cholera area it was advised by our doctor to avoid Delhi belly..it worked,eat,drank,went out for an Indian when we had a spare couple of hours in Delhi..no problems..
Highlight was playing football on a beach in Kerala with 10 little kids wearing my old Albion shirts..
Returned this year to Goa,had a lovely beach front hotel and then camped next to a creek with otters for a few days.hot with no air con though..1/2 mile up the road Russians,drugs and prostitutes. the locals hated them.
So Can't recommend Parts of Goa but the rest is smelly,dirty,great food,lovely people,favorite place.cant wait to go again..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'd suggest if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all.

It is constructive. Warning him off.

Incidentally, if only constructive comments were permitted on NSC there would be a drastic reduction in posts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Biggest tip I can give anyone is by reflective sunglasses - that way the beggars can't see your eyes. I went and worked with the YMCA Boy's Town orphanage in Chennai a few years ago - the best thing I remember was playing cricket against a bunch of 8 year olds, and them bowling at us like Mitchell Johnson on speed. Their passion for cricket was blinding!!! Also got to play volleyball against the Indian Mens Volleyball team - we beat them quite comfortably from what I remember :D

Worked in Chennai for three months in 2001. Mahabalipuram was well worth a visit then, best part of the whole trip. Spent a weekend in Bangalore & ended up sponsoring a girl there after seeing slum dwellers & rich IT pros living almost side by side. Bangslore is also home to a ridiculously camp bar done out like a spaceship. No idea if it's still there but I mentioned it to Mendoza who went after I did and he'd found it too.

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
Filthy country full of beggars and you're bound to get the runs.

In the interest of balance, the poster is correct here. India is filthy. It is full of beggars. I did get the runs.

However, it is a truly wonderful country with lots of lovely people, delicious food and beautiful sights and I'd go back there in a flash. Everywhere has it's good and bad points.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Visiting India next week and wondering if anyones been/ has any advice?

Will be going for three weeks and visiting Bangalore, Goa and probably Delhi as well as smaller regions all in the south

Ah, so you mean "Southern India" .....

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
My user name suggests I should probably reply to this! Lived in Bangalore for 3 years been back for a year.

Much prefer Pondycherry to Goa for beech. It is also close to Malibalaporum which is still there after tsunami. Hampi was my favourite hippy type trip. Also love Kerala, if you can do the backwaters do. If you are still there when IPL starts go. Hill stations and tea plantation, I agree, if you can, do. Mysore great palace is incredible at night.

Bangalore itself, brilliant cycling on mountain bike, I could set you up with people if you were into that. But would need to be able to do circa 40km.

Sunday brunch is big thing amongst expats do it if you can, all you can eat and drink for circa £30 in 5 star hotel.

I never ate street food and would suggest you are careful, we got less so as we got used to it, but visitors who ignored the basics were regularly sick.

Get a driver and keep them for your trip if you can, not expensive and they become your fixer. Make sure you have transport arranged from airport. Do use an auto rickshaw at least once though, part of experience. Do not think of driving yourself.

Leela palace or taj west end are spectacular 5 star hotels. The tandoor on MG road is a bit touristy but best curry house in the way we recognise. Herbs and spices my favourite South Indian place but down in Whitefield so a way out.

Every car journey take an hour, traffic is awful. Weather will be fantastic.

I didn't really take to Delhi, but if you can get to the taj (6 hour drive from Delhi) it is as good as they say.

You will probably get ripped off a little but relax, spend what you can afford, if someone rips you off a couple of pounds it is worth more to them than you.

Enjoy. It is fantastic, and full on.

Oh and if you get sick, Norflox, it is the only thing that fixes it, huge yellow or orange pills but usually sorts you in 24 hours.

If you need more happy to help, pm me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here