Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Not happy with his behavior. I hate it when professional footballers refuse to train.. James Mclean of West Brom is doing exactly the same. Complete ********s .

He could have done the same as Duffy and continued playing - although lots of Blackburn fans probably wished he hadn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not happy with his behavior. I hate it when professional footballers refuse to train.. James Mclean of West Brom is doing exactly the same. Complete ********s .

Without having the full story and reading between the lines it seems his club have a history of reneging on agreements to let players go if big offers from Europe come in and consequently messing the players around. Sounds very unlike the modern Albion to get drawn into these shenanigans, won’t be at all surprised if we wash our hands of this transfer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

So did Lewis Dunk when we played Fulham two years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without having the full story and reading between the lines it seems his club have a history of reneging on agreements to let players go if big offers from Europe come in and consequently messing the players around. Sounds very unlike the modern Albion to get drawn into these shenanigans, won’t be at all surprised if we wash our hands of this transfer.

We concluded the deal with Blackburn, didn't we? It appears it's the other club who are at fault, not the player?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Percy,might need to learn that respect is gained, and very easily lost.......If he respects BHA ,ie the fans,and tries his best,then i am sure we shall show him some respect.His behaviough in SA (I dont know the facts ) is not helpfull.....for him !!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. The club are tinpot. The posts on here criticising the player seem somewhat missplaced.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How can we possibly get a work permit for him? He doesn't automatically qualify for a GBE through international participation as SA outside top 50, so it goes to the exceptions panel

"If a player scores at least five points under both the Part A and Part B criteria, the Panel may grant a GBE, but is under no obligation to do so. If a player scores fewer than five points, the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK.

Part A - Objective Criteria

Criteria (Points)
The transfer fee paid for the player is above the 75th percentile of qualifying transfers. (3)
The transfer fee paid for the player is between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying transfers. (2)
The player’s wages are above the 75th percentile of qualifying wages. (3)
The player’s wages are between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying wages. (2)
The player’s current club is in a top league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes. (1)
The player’s current club has played in the group stages or onwards of a continental competition within the last 12 months and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes. (1)

Part B - Objective Criteria

Criteria (Points)
The value of the transfer fee paid for the player is within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers. (1)
Players signed on a free transfer who have been ascribed a virtual transfer value (as the Panel deems appropriate in its absolute discretion) which exceeds the value which is 20% below the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers. (1)
The player’s wages are within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying wages. (1)
The player’s current club is in a secondary league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes. (1)
The player’s current club has played in the final qualification rounds of a continental competition within the last 12 month and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes. (1)
The applicant club is able to show that the player has participated in the secondary percentage of senior competitive international matches during the relevant period OR the player's national association was a semi-finalist in the Asian Cup or African Cup of Nations in the twelve months prior to submitting the application for a GBE. If the player's national association is ranked outside the top 60, then the the player must have participated in at least 75% of the competitive international matches played during the relevant period. (1)"

His transfer fee will be quite low, maybe 1 point there. His salary will be relatively low, but maybe 1 point there. The SA league is not considered a 'top or secondary league', nor do I believe the African club competition is - but Sundowns did get to the final so maybe 1 point. He's a SA regular so maybe 1 point under the final clause - probably 0 or 1 points overall, a max of 4 points so : the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK

:shrug:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
This could be a very good signing. Our boys normally do their homework. The jury is out on Jurgen though I guess.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How can we possibly get a work permit for him? He doesn't automatically qualify for a GBE through international participation as SA outside top 50, so it goes to the exceptions panel.

Blimey! I got brain freeze trying to plough my way through all the rest of that!

The answer's obvious though, isn't it -one of our lady NSCers will have to go out there and marry the bloke, then bring him back under the 'Right to Family life' rules. Righto - who's up for it then, ladies?
:thumbsup::wink:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Refusing to train is very unprofessional though

I agree. But I also remember Danny Wilson just going through the motions during matches when he wanted to leave us. Practically phoned in his performances, but still a much revered former player.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Blimey! I got brain freeze trying to plough my way through all the rest of that!

The answer's obvious though, isn't it -one of our lady NSCers will have to go out there and marry the bloke, then bring him back under the 'Right to Family life' rules. Righto - who's up for it then, ladies?
:thumbsup::wink:

I don't think it has to be a lady - 21st century and all that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How can we possibly get a work permit for him? He doesn't automatically qualify for a GBE through international participation as SA outside top 50, so it goes to the exceptions panel

"If a player scores at least five points under both the Part A and Part B criteria, the Panel may grant a GBE, but is under no obligation to do so. If a player scores fewer than five points, the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK.

Part A - Objective Criteria

Criteria(Points)
The transfer fee paid for the player is above the 75th percentile of qualifying transfers. (3)
The transfer fee paid for the player is between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying transfers.(2)
The player’s wages are above the 75th percentile of qualifying wages. (3)
The player’s wages are between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying wages.(2)
The player’s current club is in a top league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes.(1)
The player’s current club has played in the group stages or onwards of a continental competition within the last 12 months and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes. (1)

Part B - Objective Criteria

Criteria(Points)
The value of the transfer fee paid for the player is within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers.(1)
Players signed on a free transfer who have been ascribed a virtual transfer value (as the Panel deems appropriate in its absolute discretion) which exceeds the value which is 20% below the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers.(1)
The player’s wages are within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying wages.(1)
The player’s current club is in a secondary league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes.(1)
The player’s current club has played in the final qualification rounds of a continental competition within the last 12 month and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes.(1)
The applicant club is able to show that the player has participated in the secondary percentage of senior competitive international matches during the relevant period OR the player's national association was a semi-finalist in the Asian Cup or African Cup of Nations in the twelve months prior to submitting the application for a GBE. If the player's national association is ranked outside the top 60, then the the player must have participated in at least 75% of the competitive international matches played during the relevant period.(1)"

His transfer fee will be quite low, maybe 1 point there. His salary will be relatively low, but maybe 1 point there. The SA league is not considered a 'top or secondary league', nor do I believe the African club competition is - but Sundowns did get to the final so maybe 1 point. He's a SA regular so maybe 1 point under the final clause - probably 0 or 1 points overall, a max of 4 points so : the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK

:shrug:
I don't think he will qualify, which is why this transfer mystifies me.

He may get bonus credit for being South African Player of the Year - but surely that isn't enough ?

He'd better have a secret passport or this deal may fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here