Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Geez the Burnley fan just on 606 ...after it was pointed out to him that not proven is a not a not guilty verdict ..’’ well that’s a not guilty’’ ..but it’s ok because he is a liberal person and not a racist :facepalm:
He was such a tw@t! Informed us that he was a university Student so obviously very clever and not a racist. Then oblivious to the racist undertones of their booing a black man who had done nothing wrong. I’m even more angry now I’m writing this then when I was swearing at the radio!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He was such a tw@t! Informed us that he was a university Student so obviously very clever and not a racist. Then oblivious to the racist undertones of their booing a black man who had done nothing wrong. I’m even more angry now I’m writing this then when I was swearing at the radio!!

You’d be amazed at the wide array of folk thesedays at Uni, some quite thick.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I actually called 606 tonight asking to respond to the 2 Burnley fans both stating that Rodriguez was proven not guilty. The second one, some whippet botherer who said he was an intelligent man, who had been to uni. stated, "I'm not racist, I didn't even vote for Brexit" repeated several times that Rodriguez had been found not guilty. I wanted to tell the presenter that he should have been stronger in his response to this; he let him keep saying it.
I stated to the lackey that answered the phone the following:
CH was answering a question on the booing, which was constant all game. He was asked for his opinion, he gave it.
He is quite correct, it is shameful.
Their behaviour is the sort of thing that means in future, racism is more likely to go unreported.
The difference between not proven & not guilty.
Also, for the benefit of the second Burnley caller who admitted he was booing Gaeten "cos JR was proven not guilty". Obviously, a Uni education doesn't guarantee intelligence.

They said they'd call me back, they didn't. So 2 bigoted callers went un-challenged.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I actually called 606 tonight asking to respond to the 2 Burnley fans both stating that Rodriguez was proven not guilty. The second one, some whippet botherer who said he was an intelligent man, who had been to uni. stated, "I'm not racist, I didn't even vote for Brexit" repeated several times that Rodriguez had been found not guilty. I wanted to tell the presenter that he should have been stronger in his response to this; he let him keep saying it.
CH was answering a question on the booing, which was constant all game. He was asked for his opinion, he gave it.
Their behaviour is the sort of thing that means in future, racism is more likely to go unreported.
Also, for the benefit of the second Burnley caller who admitted he was booing Gaeten "cos JR was proven not guilty". Obviously, a Uni education doesn't guarantee intelligence.

They said they'd call me back, they didn't. So 2 bigoted callers went un-challenged.

That’s crap by the BBC. Whatever happened to balance?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm sure next time we play against a side with JR in it he will get booed by our lot.

It's interesting you don't appear capable of making a distinction between "someone acting like a cocky shit and alleged (and charged with) making a racial slur" and "someone who reported hearing what he thought was a racial slur to an official".

Only I'd suggest the failure to make that distinction on your part doesn't suggest the problem lies with everyone else, as you seem to believe it does.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I thought the woman on 606 was good value for being thick as sh*te as she clearly didn't know the facts about case and hadn't read FA report ,especially saying Bong should be reprimanded, what can they not understand about not proven ffs .
And as for that moron mentioning brexit ....where the f**ck did that come from .
I really do despair that some people can be so utterly dense .

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
How dare they suggest we sang town full of pakis, that is a complete and utter lie and you know what, they know it! They are trying to deflect the blame. Incredibly two of their fans openly admitted they were homophobic on 606. Classy Burnley, very classy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

To be fair, the "not guilty" comment by the male caller was challenged a number of times by the presenters. I wouldn't say he was bigotted, just unable to discuss the issue detached from the support of his football club.

As for the female caller she should have been challenged more. Her views as I remember.

1) It's normal for abuse to be shouted at players if it gives your team an advantage.

(Alot of truth in that but completely indefensible in this context especially as it was done on mass )

2) If you make a complaint regarding something but the authorities deem the defendant not guilty, then you should receive the punishment the defendant would have received if guilty.

Dear oh dear.

Be interesting now since two Burnley supporters have rung a national radio station and effectively reported homophobia.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Apologies if this has already been said but did anybody else see Chris near the corner flag after full time ?

Immense, never felt so proud. What a man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair, the "not guilty" comment by the male caller was challenged a number of times by the presenters. I would say he was bigotted, just unable to discuss the issue in an intelligent way.

The female caller didn't really need to be challenged since it was quite clear where she was coming from

1) It's normal for abuse to be shouted at players if it gives your team an advantage.

(Alot of truth in that but completely indefensible in this context especially as it was done on mass )

2) If you make a complaint regarding something but the authorities deem the defendant not guilty, then you should receive the punishment the defendant would have received if guilty.

Dear oh dear.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

On (2) thank god we don’t live in a world of her laws. She seems pretty evil. A world where victims would be too scared to come forward for a raft of offences.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I didn't hear what CH said as I got back to the car just in time to here some divvy BHA fan on 606 but it sounds like he has done use no favours here and the prat of 606 just made it worse (we replied with "you're just a town full of racists" and they gave us homophobic abuse! As if that was something new and groundbreaking!). They've made the club look like a load of whiney little girls.

Hardly surprising Burnley fans will stick up for a lad that came through their youth setup.

Had the shoe been on the other foot then we would have done the same and I'm sure next time we play against a side with JR in it he will get booed by our lot. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering just what happens at football.

Get over it folks.

Hope alls good PB... top man

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Since you ask for a Burnley point of view ...

1. Jay Rodriguez was a very popular Burnley player, local boy born and raised in Burnley, scored a lot of goals over a fairly short period of time in the first XI but was a Burnley player at various levels for many years. He didn't want to leave Burnley (so we understand) but the club needed the money.

2. The booing of Bong was nothing to do eith his being black, except very obliquely in that it was because he is black that the whole issue began. The booing of Bong was because he made allegations against "one of our own" which were almost universally disbelieved by Burnley fans - yes, we're biased - and which were seen as being unlikely because they were so out of character, by people who knew him when he was at Burnley.

3. You are of course right that Rodriguez was not proved innocent of racist comments; just as Bong was not proved innocent of malicious allegations. It was a private conversation between two men in a noisy environment with no corroborating evidence whatsoever - nothing can be proved. You're Brighton fans, you are obviously biased towards your player just as we are to ours; but the FA cannot possibly dish out automatic five-match bans to anyone based on an uncorroborated statement. Otherwise it would be so easy to get players banned just because you can. I am in no way saying that Bong did this; just that other players would if they could. Footballers have a disgusting track record of lying and cheating to get fellow professionals into trouble.

For my view, I reckon Bong misheard. Is that so unlikely? How many of us can honestly say that we have never misheard anything said to us at a football ground? It gets pretty noisy out there. Rodrigues had his fingers holding his nose which by definition means his hand is over his mouth, so no lip reading help. Rodriguez was very rude, that's admitted. But that's not racist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How dare they suggest we sang town full of pakis, that is a complete and utter lie and you know what, they know it! They are trying to deflect the blame. Incredibly two of their fans openly admitted they were homophobic on 606. Classy Burnley, very classy.

A few of their fans have admitted the homophobia on Twitter too. They're not very bright, are they?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Apologies if this has already been said but did anybody else see Chris near the corner flag after full time ?

Immense, never felt so proud. What a man.

I saw him. Epitomised everything that our club stands for, and rejects everything a club like Burnley does.

I am not easily offended, but today made my blood boil. The abuse of Bong was clearly racist in its agenda, you could see it in the tiny minds of those in the Burnley stands. They couldn't wait for Bong to get the ball. It was a perfect opportunity for them to support racism and abuse a black player for racial reasons without being directly 'racist' - and they loved it.

Anyone who gets up this morning and openly supports Burnley needs to give their head a wobble. Foul club from top to bottom.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
I saw him. Epitomised everything that our club stands for, and rejects everything a club like Burnley does.

I am not easily offended, but today made my blood boil. The abuse of Bong was clearly racist in its agenda, you could see it in the tiny minds of those in the Burnley stands. They couldn't wait for Bong to get the ball. It was a perfect opportunity for them to support racism and abuse a black player for racial reasons without being directly 'racist' - and they loved it.

Anyone who gets up this morning and openly supports Burnley needs to give their head a wobble. Foul club from top to bottom.

Well said.

I must say that all the Burnley fans we spoke to today were as good as gold but clearly there is a nasty, pathetic element within the club. Boo to them, hooray to the rest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here