Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber on talksport imminently

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Paul Barber is one of the best signings that Tony made. He has run this club very well. He lives and breathes the job, and I would imagine that we are as easily close to his footballing heart as Spurs is. I think I'm right in saying he's a Spurs fan.

Why the vitriol I have no idea. Running a complex organisation like this is never going to make everyone happy, but he has nothing but the long-term interests of the club at heart.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This is the nub of it. People might not like Barber's corporatism, but he's doing the job he's employed to do. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else.

Exactly, and they likely wouldn't be nearly as open with the fans or as competent, professional and knowledgeable of / experienced in / respected in the game as PB is.

If PB ever went, you'd quickly realize how good we have it with him here, there isn't a better CEO in the game.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Exactly, and they likely wouldn't be nearly as open with the fans or as competent, professional and knowledgeable of / experienced in / respected in the game as PB is.

If PB ever went, you'd quickly realize how good we have it with him here, there isn't a better CEO in the game.
Well said. Look at Wednesday. [emoji23]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So that's Brown and Murphy out, Leo and Locadia in.

I'm a bit concerned about Sidwell, the fact Skalak is a passenger, that Hemed is clearly not a Prem striker and there's been a question mark over Baldock all season.

I'd say we are a midfielder light.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

I wonder how far we are from that. He’s regularly referred to as “one of the best CEOs in the game” so it is a cast iron guarantee that he will get headhunted at some point. It will be interesting to see how we react as a club to that.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So that's Brown and Murphy out, Leo and Locadia in.

I'm a bit concerned about Sidwell, the fact Skalak is a passenger, that Hemed is clearly not a Prem striker and there's been a question mark over Baldock all season.

I'd say we are a midfielder light.

Brown was an Under 21 so wasn't in the 25 man squad so it's Sidwell and Murphy out Leo and Lociada in.

Skalak would be next in line to drop out of the squad I would have thought to bring in another midfielder or possibly Hemed out on loan to open up a space. We are now on the limit of 8 home grown players meaning we'd need to sign a home grown centre half now to send Goldson out on loan. Baldock could only be replaced by a HGP as well and I don't see us being in the market for another forward who would fit that bill now.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
I wonder how far we are from that. He’s regularly referred to as “one of the best CEOs in the game” so it is a cast iron guarantee that he will get headhunted at some point. It will be interesting to see how we react as a club to that.

I think I read somewhere that his salary has been pretty much doubled to prevent being head hunted :p

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Then IT would be looking back at the 'Barber Days' with nostalgia.

He is an integral part of the team that got us to where we are today, a PL club.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think I read somewhere that his salary has been pretty much doubled to prevent being head hunted :p

It’s football, someone will just double it again. I think I read somewhere that Barber is in about £400k pa. he’s more important to the club than any one player, and I imagine we have players on quadruple that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Liverpool are reported to have looked at him last Summer, but they went for Peter Moore instead.

Typically I now can't find the link where this was mentioned.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s football, someone will just double it again. I think I read somewhere that Barber is in about £400k pa. he’s more important to the club than any one player, and I imagine we have players on quadruple that.

£1.2m last year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brown was an Under 21 so wasn't in the 25 man squad so it's Sidwell and Murphy out Leo and Lociada in.

Skalak would be next in line to drop out of the squad I would have thought to bring in another midfielder or possibly Hemed out on loan to open up a space. We are now on the limit of 8 home grown players meaning we'd need to sign a home grown centre half now to send Goldson out on loan. Baldock could only be replaced by a HGP as well and I don't see us being in the market for another forward who would fit that bill now.

This is semantics, I'm talking about real options for the 1st XI going into these last few games. I really don't know what Skalak is still doing at this football club - 0 goals in 30 appearances last season.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

It's not so much about being headhunted, IMO, moreso in taking the step up to making the market rate for someone who is top at his job. With Liverpool apparently knocking at his door then we had to match. TB couldnt run the club wihout him or someone like him. When you look at 1.2M compared to what players earn, pft its probably the best investment we have staff wise. There arent many PBs about, we are lucky

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here