Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Cox released by Reading

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The difference between someone of his quality and what we've had, even at this level, is significant. He is stronger than you'd think, quicker than you think and is an unquestionably good finisher. What a signing he would be, and like Kayal, he would be cheaper than he should be. He's struggled at Reading but don't let that put anyone off, the man is Championship quality and in a team as strong as ours he would be goalbothering every game.

How do you know if he's stronger and faster than I think he is? He might be weaker and slower than I think he is, depending on my opinion of him. He might be faster than I think he is, yet feeble compared to what I think. On the other hand, he may be stronger than I thought but nowhere near as fast. I've never even spoken to you, so how do you bloody know what I'm thinking? As it happens, I haven't really got an opinion of him, but that isn't the point!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am loving the fact that we are just straight out dismissing Reading players. A few years ago we would have been getting all excited at the prospect. How times change :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Trust me, there is no comparison between Cox and Baldock. Absolutely none at all - I've seen more of him than most on here, he's a quality striker who would score goals for us. Remember that Cardiff bombed out Rudy Gestede and he scored how many for Blackburn? Simon Cox would be the ideal horse for our particular course.

[YT]RIDuAYYdSBE[/YT]
Yeah great goal, but what 10 years ago? He'll end up at somewhere like Swindon or Oxford.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I am loving the fact that we are just straight out dismissing Reading players. A few years ago we would have been getting all excited at the prospect. How times change :thumbsup:

Watch out for Josh Barrett next season. Attacking midfielder, had a little cameo for 45 minutes against Preston and looked better than everyone else on the pitch, he's only 17 too.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
When he has come on he has looked pretty good for Reading. But he has done that without scoring goals.

Baldock does a similar role in that he makes the runs, takes defenders out of the game etc. If Reading had a decent finisher up top and played a 4-4-2 I would say that they would have been more successful.

It's a no from me as we have Sammy B, but could be a decent enough replacement if he were to leave

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Not dismissing Reading players. Just dismissing this particular Reading player.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Watch out for Josh Barrett next season. Attacking midfielder, had a little cameo for 45 minutes against Preston and looked better than everyone else on the pitch, he's only 17 too.

How is that young defender getting on? Not the one that went to Chelsea and loaned back but you had an 18 yr old that broke through at the end of last season if I recall?

Might be C something?

A few of the lads up here that I know were raving about him but I only ever seemed to catch his bad matches

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Simon Cox?!?

Jesus I would rather have Sara Cox

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If we were going to sign a championship striker I'd rather break the bank and go for someone like Nahki Wells.

Ideally though we go abroad and get a bargain.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If we were going to sign a championship striker I'd rather break the bank and go for someone like Nahki Wells.

I think that too. We seem to do that for strikers as they are so expensive over here. Hopefully will happen again. I completely trust the recruitment team after the players we have brought in this season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We can do a lot better. His best years are in the past

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the Albion service served up this season, a fit Ashley Barnes would have finished Championshjp top scorer by a country mile. How often do we get a striker witha natural ability to be perfectly positioned in the box for snaffling up a half-chance. Frankly, rarely nowadays. Well played to the post-Withdean know-nothing boo-boys for forcing him and his family to have to relocate to somewhere shit oop north. Had our natural 20 goals a season man all along, muffed it. :wave:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

He's less clinical than Tomer but more so than Sam. Think we can do better really.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
With the Albion service served up this season, a fit Ashley Barnes would have finished Championshjp top scorer by a country mile. How often do we get a striker witha natural ability to be perfectly positioned in the box for snaffling up a half-chance. Frankly, rarely nowadays. Well played to the post-Withdean know-nothing boo-boys for forcing him and his family to have to relocate to somewhere shit oop north. Had our natural 20 goals a season man all along, muffed it. :wave:

... and this is the point I'm making about Simon Cox, he scores goals when given chances. Obviously he'll be dismissed by the majority on here who only know that he didn't play much for Reading, etc etc but for anyone who has actually watched him play when he's had a run of games in a good team will know that he'll score goals. He's far better than what we have, comparisons to a "striker" who scored 3 goals in a team which finished 3rd are irrelevant in this case. Cox would do all the average work that Baldock does, but score goals as well.

We need to work out how to get more from our strikers, and turn the draws into wins - the simple is answer is bin the guy who could only manage 3 goals in the best team he'll play in and sign someone who will do better than he did. In this case, it's not too difficult. Also, it's worth thinking about finances, we can't just go out and blow another £2million on a striker. I'm sure there will be investment but why spend bigger than necessary just because we're going to turn our collective noses up because he was at Reading?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
... and this is the point I'm making about Simon Cox, he scores goals when given chances. Obviously he'll be dismissed by the majority on here who only know that he didn't play much for Reading, etc etc but for anyone who has actually watched him play when he's had a run of games in a good team will know that he'll score goals. He's far better than what we have, comparisons to a "striker" who scored 3 goals in a team which finished 3rd are irrelevant in this case. Cox would do all the average work that Baldock does, but score goals as well.

We need to work out how to get more from our strikers, and turn the draws into wins - the simple is answer is bin the guy who could only manage 3 goals in the best team he'll play in and sign someone who will do better than he did. In this case, it's not too difficult. Also, it's worth thinking about finances, we can't just go out and blow another £2million on a striker. I'm sure there will be investment but why spend bigger than necessary just because we're going to turn our collective noses up because he was at Reading?

Mate, I'd rather re-sign Billy Paynter. I agree with the likes of Nakhi Wells, how about someone like Kemar Roofe at Oxford?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here