Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheat to Compete?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Make Knockaert captain! He was in the Ref's face plenty on Saturday, and I'm really amazed he didn't get a booking for all of his complaining!
I think he's going to be an easier the most target for other teams to wind up and trigger an emotional reaction that gets him sent off next season. The quality of 'gamesmanship' appears to higher quality in the PL, not just the pace, skill etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Make Knockaert captain! He was in the Ref's face plenty on Saturday, and I'm really amazed he didn't get a booking for all of his complaining!

In so doing took the edge off of his game, I know which I would prefer. Isnt TV replays coming in next season so these 'tumbles' will be more easily rumbled and subsequent red cards not given.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its a fine line in diving or making sure you clip an outstretched leg. Is a defender grabbing a jersey at corners cheating?

Its always going to happen.
that's the issue here isn't it? Do we trail enough legs, go down when brushed against, swarm the ref and knock yellow cards out their hands and insist on a red etc? :)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Until technology is used, this stuff will continue to happen. Refs need help, but they also need accountability, and the only way to do that is through technology.

Unless such a change happens, then we would be advised to use every option available to us if we want to stay in the top division.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wonder how many Albion fans will complain if Murray scores the winner at Palace 'with the hand of God' like Maradona v England?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The weak link is the referees. Far too many of them are pompous self-regarding idiots who think that being master of the universe on match day somehow compensates for the fact that they can't actually play the game all that well themselves. They are resistant to being told what to do which is why they are not in favour of things like replays that put more scrutiny on their judgmnt and takes away some of their power.

That has allowed them to invent their own interpretation of the rules. For example the 'totting up system'. There is no such thing. How many times have we seen the ref theatrically poining to parts of the pitch where previous imaginary misdemeanours were recently committed before flourishing a card? This is all utter bollocks. It was either an offense or it wasn't. Its like speeding. Getting caught doing 68 mph three times does not tot up to one offence of going over 70. FFS.

So regarding the OP's question, of course we shouldn't make cheating a strategy. That said, because the referees are such utter cocks, if you feel a nudge that is enough to slightly change your balance, of course you must go down because if you fight to stay on your feet the idiot ref will wave play on.

Untill we get TV replays, and take power away from the referees' assocoiation nothing will change.

Anyway as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, our chaps are already well versed in the dark arts and so it goes . . .

You can be booked for numerous fouls:

Persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game.

In theory you can be booked for being offside a lot.

The refs are not the issue here, but as normal are the scapegoat - they get to see it once, at a fast pace - from his position yesterday it would have looked like a foul on Rashford,

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I wonder how many Albion fans will complain if Murray scores the winner at Palace 'with the hand of God' like Maradona v England?

They will be one,there always is in such matters,the vast majority will put it down to luck leveling out over the course of the season though..

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
very laudable but arguably naive. In a nutshell, is this precisely what may be the difference. Everytime I see pundits describe, they never use the word cheat. It's always words like experience! So do we need to up our 'gamesmanship' (or cheating) to con opposition, intimidate officials etc? The FA always start new seasons with blah blah blah respect, stamping out this and that but we all know by September it's make to the norm and cheats do prosper. There are some word class con artists in the PL, it's a skill in many respects. Are we 'as good' or do we 'need to improve' in this area so's to speak?

I'm a self confessed football romantic and purist so i fully accept it maybe naive but that's what I think. I hate this development in the game. Its cheating and I don't want Albion to cheat.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I could be mistaken and he was just remonstrating, but after one of the fouls it really looked like Knocky was waving an imaginary card at the ref. Bloody hate that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I could be mistaken and he was just remonstrating, but after one of the fouls it really looked like Knocky was waving an imaginary card at the ref. Bloody hate that.

The one North Stand side of the dug outs?

AK's been a loose cannon for the last couple of games.
As with Dunk before him I'm surprised CH has allowed it to go on so long, if for no other reason than the simple fact that their attitude clearly disrupts their abilities.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, not just me that noticed then.
Oh hang on, I'm directly opposite and can just about see the west stand so best wait for more concrete proof!

I'm not stalking you but...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm a self confessed football romantic and purist so i fully accept it maybe naive but that's what I think. I hate this development in the game. Its cheating and I don't want Albion to cheat.
amen to that. You gottA be super rich and a cheat to compete at the top tAble these days in general!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The weak link is the referees.
It's a bloody difficult job.
Far too many of them are pompous self-regarding idiots who think that being master of the universe on match day somehow compensates for
I've known a few referees over the years, and what you say is only true in about 100% of the cases.
That has allowed them to invent their own interpretation of the rules. For example the 'totting up system'. There is no such thing. How many times have we seen the ref theatrically poining to parts of the pitch where previous imaginary misdemeanours were recently committed before flourishing a card? This is all utter bollocks. It was either an offense or it wasn't. Its like speeding. Getting caught doing 68 mph three times does not tot up to one offence of going over 70. FFS.
I don't mind the 'totting up'. It's not imaginary misdemeanours, it's ones that the ref has felt may not have been quite bad enough for a card. It's not like speeding where it's black and white and not open to interpretation. Another law that doesn't exist is whether someone got the ball, but if refs ignored that we'd have a completely different game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My takeaway memory from the first Arsenal game was:-

'They got every decision'.

Not in a sour grapes way most were 'letter of the law' fouls, but none were 'proper' fouls, and yet they got every single decision.
Arsenal were playing a non contact sport, and the Albion weren't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The weak link is the referees. Far too many of them are pompous self-regarding idiots who think that being master of the universe on match day somehow compensates for the fact that they can't actually play the game all that well themselves. They are resistant to being told what to do which is why they are not in favour of things like replays that put more scrutiny on their judgmnt and takes away some of their power.

So regarding the OP's question, of course we shouldn't make cheating a strategy. That said, because the referees are such utter cocks, if you feel a nudge that is enough to slightly change your balance, of course you must go down because if you fight to stay on your feet the idiot ref will wave play on.

Untill we get TV replays, and take power away from the referees' assocoiation nothing will change.

Anyway as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, our chaps are already well versed in the dark arts and so it goes . . .

Whilst I agree with the basis of your comments about refs, not sure why you are having a go about the totting up system. Clearly under the Laws of the Game, there is the option for refs to book players for persistent infringement which is what the totting up procedure is.

Taken from the Fifa Laws of the Game. https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fo.../92/44/laws.of.the.game.2016.2017_neutral.pdf
page 85

Cautionable offences
A player is cautioned if guilty of:
• delaying the restart of play
• dissent by word or action
• entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the
referee’s permission
• failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game (no specific number or
pattern of infringements constitutes “persistent”)
• unsporting behaviour

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw it too Sitting on the grass waving the imaginary card. I'm in WSL.

AK has been a bit of an angry twunt on the field since he got the player of the Championship award. Hope he can get it out of his system before next season and get used to losing or he'll get a hatful of red cards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here