Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Danny Baker saved Brighton & Hove Albion  - The inside story of Fans United

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I reckon that season has knocked a fair amount off my life total. Not the just the football, but the protests marches demos and the sheer physical and emotional investment made...it was exhausting!! Explaining continually to anyone who would listen that an enormous social injustice was happening and they had to get involved and this was how to. And then the fight to Bring Home the Albion...my god, how we ploughed the troughs of crushing despair in the mid to late 90s. I felt utterly utterly dejected at times like we were never going to wake up from the longest nightmare imaginable. And then on matchdays you'd see thousands of others weren't going to take it lying down either, that we could do something together. Just muck in. The supporter leaders of that era should be cast in bronze on the walk up from the station at the Amex. Proper heroes. The Few, just without the spitfires! ;)
Well said. The football was secondary to what was happening off the pitch. I was just a humble footsoldier in BISA army but I saw first-hand the immense amount of effort that John Baine (Attila) put in alone, not just for Fans Utd but during the whole of the 'war years'. It consumed his life. As Wozza has said it didn't 'just happen'.

"And one day when our new ground's built and we are storming back, a bunch of happy fans without a care ..."

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I will never for get this piece by John Baine,a true activist leader and General of the war years-

Without him and a few others of the time,it's almost irrelevant who or what came later to help save the Albion-

In our very darkest hours without JB and his like there really would be no Albion.

This is part of one of his poems,i hope he does not mind me sharing this(it's after all his work) but it has stayed with me since the wars years..

The battle's only just begun, but we have won the war.
Our club, though torn asunder, will survive.
And I salute each one of you who stood up and said NO!
And fought to keep the Albion alive.
And one day, when our new home's built, and we are storming back
A bunch of happy fans without a care
We'll look back on our darkest hour and raise our glasses high
and say with satisfaction: we were there.

THANK YOU John

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I just shed a tear at the end of that article. It shows how close we were to going out of business and how raw emotions were that I can still feel the salt tears just on reading that account. Never forget.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well said. The football was secondary to what was happening off the pitch. I was just a humble footsoldier in BISA army but I saw first-hand the immense amount of effort that John Baine (Attila) put in alone, not just for Fans Utd but during the whole of the 'war years'. It consumed his life. As Wozza has said it didn't 'just happen'.

I've written a personal epilogue to Fans United, which I'll post sometime.

I mention that I ultimately devoted two months to the cause. As you say, John, Liz and Paul - and many, less public faces - were devoting their lives for YEARS.

Hopefully, Build A Bonfire gets that across. How can we make every new fan read it? :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hopefully, Build A Bonfire gets that across. How can we make every new fan read it? :)
Stock it at the Amex for sure. I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if it wasn't already.

But it shouldn't need to be required reading IMO. Those of us who were fans at the time will know what those key people did for the club, and those new fans with an interest in the history of the club will undoubtedly get round to reading it. The fight was for the club to be "normal" again and that fight has thankfully been won.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Guardian's "Fiver" published the link to this [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION], I'm sure you know. Lest anyone dare forget, and all that...

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Great piece. Thanks for sharing.

As for the game itself, I don't remember any of the five goals but vividly remember a copper in front of the East Stand getting his helmet knocked off from a really hard clearance up the touchline. I think the cheer that followed was louder than after any of the goals

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
So, do we know anyone at the BBC? (Or do we know 10pm-11pm on 18/12/1996 is one of the missing tapes??)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/informationandarchives/archivenews/2014/bbc_archives_bbcradio5live_at20

BBC Archives makes BBC Radio 5 Live archive available for station’s 20th anniversary

Date: 26.03.2014 Last updated: 18.11.2014 at 14.10
Category: Archive
Following a collaboration between BBC Archives colleagues at MediaCityUK, the Archive Centre in west London and the Salford based station, the 20 year history of BBC Radio 5 Live is available to listen to and download by BBC Staff at their desktops. Senior Media Manager, Jeremy Hinks, explains more.
BBC Radio 5 Live began broadcasting on Monday 28th March 1994 and from day one output was recorded by the station for their own reuse. From 1994 to 2002 recording was actually made to VHS tape (yes, VHS was used to record radio!), 3 tapes per day resulted in a total of 8,000 tapes over 8 years. In 2002, recording switched to CD and this continued until 2007, a total of 4,000 discs.

From 2008 the station stopped making their own recordings as this was taken up by in-house BBC systems such as ‘AutoRot’ and later the BBC’s Radio Digital Archive, which records all national network radio as uncompressed .wav files. Up to the inception of the Radio Digital Archive, the Archive also made high quality uncompressed recordings of selected BBC Radio 5 Live shows.

In 2011, BBC Radio 5 Live relocated to Salford and the VHS collection, which had previously been stored in the production offices at Television Centre, was sent to the Archive Centre in Perivale. This gave the opportunity for the Archives to transfer the tapes to .wav files which were stored on a local server. The CDs initially moved to Salford, but during the final months of 2013 these discs were ripped and transferred to .mp3 files by BBC Archives staff.

The next challenge was to make these files available to the wider BBC. This was achieved by transferring the digitised content from both the VHS and CD collections to a networked server which BBC users can access via an internal web link.

Additional files were also sourced and added up to September 2008, meaning the server contains BBC Radio 5 Live’s output from 28 March 1994 to 30 September 2008. From September 2008 onwards all BBC Radio 5 Live off air output, along with selected unpublished content and more recently BBC 5 Live Sport Extra, is available as part of the Radio Digital Archive.

Consequently, this gives desktop access to the entire 20 year history of the network at the desktop of all BBC staff, and means BBC Radio 5 Live is the only BBC network station to have a digitised broadcast archive that reaches back to its first transmission.

As the VHS and CDs were for many years held locally by production and not a managed collection, a small number of tapes and CDs were found to be missing. Also some of the older CDs were unplayable, meaning occasional gaps in the server content. The Archive’s Media Manager for BBC Radio 5 Live is identifying any significant gaps and looking to source these from alternative collections where possible.

Another initiative underway is to investigate how to improve the metadata and searchabilty of this content, for example the potential to convert the audio to text using Speech-to-Text processes and to link in with other sources of BBC Radio 5 Live metadata, making it easier for staff to locate specific clips.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've already made the enquiry. It wasn't stored. :-(

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Funny how 20 years later we are now on the CUSP of the PL with a ground to die for and the team that wanted to boot us out of the league are on their way into the Conference themselves. If it wasn't for Fans United we would have been dead and buried, all of a sudden we believed we could stay up and fans and team came together to do it.

Excuse my ignorance/fading memory but which club wanted to kick us out? Orient?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here