Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fair play Steve McClaren

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just think they were tactically inept, which has to be McClaren's fault. They had no plan B - like us under Poyet. Sometimes you just have to go more direct and throw a few longer balls into the box. They won 3 or 4 free kicks in our half which should have given them the opportunity to fire something in for Bent and Vydra to scrap over. They took every one of these quickly and short gaining no advantage from them whatsoever. With the players they have at their disposal they should be challenging at the top end of the table.

Derby's season was all but over before last night really, and they played like a team just going through the motions, and looking for ward to their holidays.

Agree though, that with three out and out strikers in the side, in Bent, Nugent, and Vydra, a more direct style of play may have suited them better last night, and why were Johnny Russell and Will Hughes only on the bench? tjhose two alone could have made a difference.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think Hughes is a tremendous talent whose career has stalled at Derby now. I don't know why he signed a new contract with them (apart from the £££ obviously) when he needs to move on and stretch himself in the Premier league.

Any clubs going up this season could do worse than consider a bid for him.

He's a local lad and very loyal to Derby but even DC fans were querying why he'd signed a new deal instead of moving on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure how being disingenuous about the albions promotion chances helps him in any scenario but you obviously believe he is so fair enough

I believe his pre match comments were an attempt at mind games - post match fair enough. It was designed to add more pressure on us - he even went and said about the pressure being on us after too.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Hmmm... Dont wish to argue, but cant think of any of their players that would walk into our first team.
Hughes for who? Kayal or Stephens?
Ince for Knockeart?
Nugent or Bent for Murray or Baldock?
Their centre backs were atrocious.
Christie maybe as a long term replacement for Bruno (Perish the thought)
Olsson at left back? Better than Poc or Bong? Rosenior?
Carson?????
That thug Bryson who came on for them in the second half?

No I said Squad

I'm certain adding Carson, Christie, Olsson, Ince, Hughes, Johnson, Thorne, Russell, Vydra. Any of these would improve our squad.

Derby have a better collection of individual players than most other championship sides and should be easily in the play offs

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unbelievable to play 3 central strkers and leave Hughes out. Also Ince looked lost on wing. With 3 central strikers couldnt understand why he didnt cross more

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I really do, I don't recall him doing anything particularly special against us ever. He can dribble a bit but flatters to deceive imo, particularly lightweight and nothing special. If he was that good surely he would already be playing in the premier league and not Derby.

Wha??
He is consistently excellent against us, and scored their goal of the season in our 1-4 play-off defeat. He also came off the bench in the game last season, after being out for most of it, and produced a sublime bit of skill to set up one of their goals.
He is my only ever concern when we play them and is far too good for the Championship.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Did he offer to repay their fans travel and match tickets after stopping 25 seconds of his players weekly paypacket

No he did not, but a Derby fanafter the game told me their Chairman paid for their transport and subsidised their tickets, the fans all got here and into the Amex for £20.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair, he's kept that hair island for ages. When I started losing my hair, it all went quite quickly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's a local lad and very loyal to Derby but even DC fans were querying why he'd signed a new deal instead of moving on.

According to a post on Ramstalk, the new deal means he's on £35k a week. If that's true, I can't see many clubs coming in for him. Of course, PL clubs could afford it but they'd have to pay about £45 to £50k a week (plus hefty fee) for a player who's not a regular for a mid-table Championship team.

It sounds like an awfully high amount to me - how could Derby afford that?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
According to a post on Ramstalk, the new deal means he's on £35k a week. If that's true, I can't see many clubs coming in for him. Of course, PL clubs could afford it but they'd have to pay about £45 to £50k a week (plus hefty fee) for a player who's not a regular for a mid-table Championship team.

It sounds like an awfully high amount to me - how could Derby afford that?

We are probably paying Murray 30k.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Emile Heskey signed a deal for his boyhood club Leicester before transferring to Liverpool for about £11/12m. Had he not signed then the fee would have been considerably less. Did his home club a big favour (although they still managed to blow it all and end up in admin!!!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I admire the fact that he realised they had to win and put out a team to do that and the fact it didnt work benefited us but had it he would have been hailed a genius.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here