Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I think the save from the rebound was world class, he had no right to get back over there, but most 'keepers can pull something out of the bag occasionally and he is still prone to more than a few mistakes which may still prove costly

*All* keepers are prone to a few mistakes, even those we consider to be the best in the Premier League - it's the nature of the position, where small errors get punished much more harshly than the equivalent mistake of an outfield player. Fortunately Stocko makes far fewer mistakes than most, and what he brings to the team is invaluable.

I agree with the comments on many of our previous keepers. However, I would argue that the number of boxes Dave ticks with his overall game attributes might make him the most well-rounded goalkeeper in Albion history; distribution, shot stopping, command of the area, communication with defenders and performance with penalties. And that doesn't even touch on the important off-field role that he plays in the club. I can't help but feel that he's one of the key figures who galvanises the squad and is a player who really drives forward the 'togetherness' philosophy in the team right now.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What a performance last night. For those questioning his position in the team at one point, have you changed your mind? He won us the game yesterday, along with Knockaert, and was a key part in both wins against Fulham and the draw against Villa. Not bad for a keeper who does not have a lot to do thanks to the defence.

Last night's double save was the best I've seen live. To turn around and tip the rebound round the post was incredible!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[tweet]822729592612016128[/tweet]
[tweet]822735213205815296[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
*All* keepers are prone to a few mistakes, even those we consider to be the best in the Premier League - it's the nature of the position, where small errors get punished much more harshly than the equivalent mistake of an outfield player. Fortunately Stocko makes far fewer mistakes than most, and what he brings to the team is invaluable.

I agree with the comments on many of our previous keepers. However, I would argue that the number of boxes Dave ticks with his overall game attributes might make him the most well-rounded goalkeeper in Albion history; distribution, shot stopping, command of the area, communication with defenders and performance with penalties. And that doesn't even touch on the important off-field role that he plays in the club. I can't help but feel that he's one of the key figures who galvanises the squad and is a player who really drives forward the 'togetherness' philosophy in the team right now.

After listening to the interview with him after the game, and reading your post . . . . yes . . . OK . . . yes. He sounds like a top lad, and he has all those attributes, as you say. I just wish he'd SHOUT a bit more (especially 'KEEPER'S'!). With two critical points-winning penalty saves, his confidence must now be sky high. That has to be good :clap:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
After listening to the interview with him after the game, and reading your post . . . . yes . . . OK . . . yes. He sounds like a top lad, and he has all those attributes, as you say. I just wish he'd SHOUT a bit more (especially 'KEEPER'S'!). With two critical points-winning penalty saves, his confidence must now be sky high. That has to be good :clap:

The interview was class.

"So talk us through the penalty save David."

"It didn't go in."

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have we ever had a keeper as good as he has been for us this season?

Corrigan past his best when he got here, always like Digweed, Moseley and Keeley but none of them were in Stockdale's class.

I've supported this club since 1980 and I don't think we've had a better keeper than Stockdale this season.

Yes he did ok, didn't have a bad game I suppose, Capable of some great performances like last night's, yet I'm afraid, drops more then the odd clanger too.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
After his first season I was delighted we signed Maenpaa to replace him...he had been awful for most of the previous season I was happy for him to be binned off.

I'm glad CH knows more about top quality goalkeepers than I do

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes he did ok, didn't have a bad game I suppose, Capable of some great performances like last night's, yet I'm afraid, drops more then the odd clanger too.

I genuinely can't believe anyone can still have this view. He has been excellent for us over the last 18 months. All goalkeepers make mistakes but Stockdale wins us so many points (Fulham home and away and last night are three obvious recent examples) that it more than makes up for it. He is having an excellent season. What does he have to do to convince some people on here?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Blimey. That is incredibly mean-spirited. If Stockdale was any better, even slightly, he'd be too good for us and already playing in the PL. He's a fantastic goalie and also a really lovely bloke. I'm more than happy to have him in goal for us.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Blimey. That is incredibly mean-spirited. If Stockdale was any better, even slightly, he'd be too good for us and already playing in the PL. He's a fantastic goalie and also a really lovely bloke. I'm more than happy to have him in goal for us.

Agree, and he has already played in the PL.

On Sky before the game they were saying that he's one of, if not the best keeper in the division. He then basically proved the point. People talk about Westwood but he was at fault for the first goal whereas Stockdale saved us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only problem with Stocko saving all these penalties is the battering he gets afterwards.

While trying to second guess the taker he's got to be thinking:-

If he scores we might not win.
But
If I save it, I'll be on the receiving of at best common assault, but GBH is just as likely.

'triffic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only problem with Stocko saving all these penalties is the battering he gets afterwards.

While trying to second guess the taker he's got to be thinking:-

If he scores we might not win.
But
If I save it, I'll be on the receiving of at best common assault, but GBH is just as likely.

'triffic.

'Shit, I saved it. Dunk and Duffy are coming towards me'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here