Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ticket priority system is not quite fair

BaKeRz25

Oct 6, 2017
Bristol
Hello everyone, I finally decided to make an account of this website as I've always been a reader but never much to say until now.

I was born in Brighton but moved to Cornwall when I was young (quite far away) and am now a student in Bristol. This meant that I could finally have a chance to watch the team play as its very difficult for me to get to Brighton (time and money). I saw the Cardiff away game last year which ended goalless but was still so amazing to finally see the lads!

The club is finally in the premier league where they should be and every fan wants to watch them play but the fans who live in Brighton and get to see them every week (or nearly) get priority over the ones who aren't so lucky and only have a chance to watch them when they're away nearby. These people can collect points and buy seasons tickets etc and have an edge over the distant fans who can only get to so many games. For fans like me who really one get that one opportunity when the team is nearby its really disappointing to find out that its sold out before you even had a chance (Swansea away today).

Now it looks like I wont be able to watch the team play at all this season which is so annoying as I just want to see my club playing in the best league in the world. I understand the system is set up to reward loyalty but some fans just cant 'afford' the loyalty but does that really mean we should be pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. :(

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Firstly, welcome [MENTION=36029]BaKeRz25[/MENTION] (did you type that on an Omsung Iphine?)

For the faraway games... perhaps a small allocation for 'local' fans wouldn't be a bad idea?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hello everyone, I finally decided to make an account of this website as I've always been a reader but never much to say until now.

I was born in Brighton but moved to Cornwall when I was young (quite far away) and am now a student in Bristol. This meant that I could finally have a chance to watch the team play as its very difficult for me to get to Brighton (time and money). I saw the Cardiff away game last year which ended goalless but was still so amazing to finally see the lads!

The club is finally in the premier league where they should be and every fan wants to watch them play but the fans who live in Brighton and get to see them every week (or nearly) get priority over the ones who aren't so lucky and only have a chance to watch them when they're away nearby. These people can collect points and buy seasons tickets etc and have an edge over the distant fans who can only get to so many games. For fans like me who really one get that one opportunity when the team is nearby its really disappointing to find out that its sold out before you even had a chance (Swansea away today).

Now it looks like I wont be able to watch the team play at all this season which is so annoying as I just want to see my club playing in the best league in the world. I understand the system is set up to reward loyalty but some fans just cant 'afford' the loyalty but does that really mean we should be pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. :(

A random lottery for tickets?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
1) buy bronze membership

2) buy a student rail card

3) buy ticket for weekend home match of your choice

4) buy train ticket from Bristol -> Brighton (⅓ off with aforementioned railcard)

5) watch Brighton play in the premier league.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Was Swansea away the only game you planned on seeing ?

You could register on the Swansea website and get a ticket for the home end ?

Also there have been plenty of tickets available for home games, is it that hard to make time for at least a few home games ?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Barber prefers customers to supporters, so the loyalty points system works well for those customers attending the venue on regular basis.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Life is full of choices. You and/or your family made yours so you need to live with that!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

We just have to wait. At the moment all away tickets are taken up by season-ticket holders, and although its annoying because it wasn't like this in the championship or leagues 1 and 2, when we could get tickets for away games easily, I think we have to respect their priority.

Its galling that people get even more loyalty points when they go somewhere like Arsenal or West Ham, and get even further ahead in the queue, but as long as we don't have season tickets its all irrelevant really. Trust me though, in one or two seasons time they won't be selling out our allocation at Stoke or Burnley.

But as the guy above states, we can still get to as many home games as we want, and the Amex isn't a bad place to watch a game of football! Just a bloody bloody long way from Cornwall (but then, where isn't?!). And every now and again you might find a nice person who will get you a ticket for a game :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1) buy bronze membership

2) buy a student rail card

3) buy ticket for weekend home match of your choice

4) buy train ticket from Bristol -> Brighton (⅓ off with aforementioned railcard)

5) watch Brighton play in the premier league.

Wouldn't it be easier to move the whole club to Bristol?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

In a way its not a horrible idea.

the current priority system is fair, in that it rewards people who have regularly gone away in the lower leagues and buy season tickets. We're fine with that..

but..

It means that some fans can go to all 19 away premier league games, leaving many other fans going to 0.

I would much rather a system where the top 300 loyalty point peoples or so can go to all the games, and then there is a sliding scale where someone could buy tickets to 15 games, or 10 games, or 5, but couldn't hog the lot, and people with the lower levels of points were guaranteed at least 1 away game, which they could apply for through a ballot each week.

Completely complicated to administer, and obviously won't happen, but wouldn't it be better if tickets to away games were shared out amongst all the fans rather than being the preserve of a few.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Life ain’t fair. My advice is to skip lectures today and instead sit down and learn that today :) Will stand you in good stead and not just with regards to Albions away ticket policy.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

Or possibly this, combined with the current system. So 90% of tickets in the current format, and once they've sold out, you can apply for a ballot, stating no. of tickets needed (up to a maximum amount). So this could give 300 people that would normally have no chance of a ticket the chance to go.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
The key to all of this is the concept of loyalty. It could be judged on games attended, miles travelled or even money spent. But all of those getting tickets ahead of the OP have "invested" to a greater extent in BHA. You sir, by your own admission haven't. I have had a season ticket at the Amex for 4 of the seasons. I live., work and generally play 168 miles away. I could go more often but I have a family, a business to run and my other interests. Some people go to ALL games whenever and wherever, some travel hundreds of miles. Life isn't fair. I went to Leicester Officially in the away end. I now cant get an away ticket. I have organised myself tickets to Arsenal, West Ham, Man U and Swansea but will have to pay up to £178. Would it be more fair if there was a small allocation for a ballot? Not on those who have the current credentials but lose out due to a newer fairer ballot. Personally It doesn't suit me but I haven't qualified. I understand your pain but you gotta put in first.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Loyalty for years has to be rewarded.

I also think that holding back something like 10% of tickets for 'everyone else' would allow people like you and 'newcomers' the chance to attend some away games.

That's my 2 peneth

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I understand the system is set up to reward loyalty but some fans just cant 'afford' the loyalty but does that really mean we should be pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. :(

So what would be fairer? You get a ticket over someone who regularly attends games both home and away?

At the end of the day, there has to be a system. A 'random lottery' wouldn't be fair either.

Those who go to the most games over the past few years are front of the queue. I can't see how this couldn't be considered fair.

BaKeRz25

Oct 6, 2017
Bristol
There's lots of funny replies on here haha, I get what everyone is saying. Someone said about a local area allocation which I think could be the start of a good idea with a lot of thought of course. I have a railcard but it can still be expensive and and hard to find spare time to travel so far. Hopefully eventually like someone said it wont be so busy to try and get tickets and maybe I can try for one of the home games towards the end of the season. Moving the club to Bristol would also be handy haha but I would prefer if Brighton stayed at home in Brighton. My post wasn't exactly a complaint just more pointing out that the system has some imperfections that could be looked over by the club. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here