Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy beat Costa Rica and it's still a possibility...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This whole situation has caused a BIZARRE reaction and it's clear why. Some people want to just accept it's over now. It's their way of coping.

However, LOGICALLY, we are by no means out of it.

Lets look at the individual things we need to happen.

Italy beat Costa Rica tonight. Beyond feasable. It's expected.

Right, now we're onto the final day of the group.

Firstly let's deal with out side of the bargain. Can we beat Costa Rica? of course we can. I'm not saying we WILL.....but we can. Don't be all defeatest and negatively english. Be honest. We should beat them.

So now we have one result left. Could Italy feasably beat a poor Uruguay team? Absolutely.

This really isn't as RIDICULOUS as people seem to think. I'm not being deluded and not wanted to face up to us playing poorly. I'm looking at this from a simple "would this be a logical set of 3 results" and yes, yes it would.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
t84akEv.jpg

:lolol:

William is president of the FA right? Surely it's only right that he promises Mario a nosh off of Kate if they win. And then if they beat Uruguay a threesome with Kate and her sister.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Italy and Costa Rica will 'contrive' a draw today, knock England out and we'll draw,at best , against CR

That wont happen because a win for Uraguay could knock out Italy and a win for us and Italy Uraguay draw would knock CR out. So both Italy and CR will be going for the win. A more likely outcome is Italy beat CR then lose to Uraguay putting them both through

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wonderfully delusional thread this. First off Italy won't beat Uruguay, with Suarez firing they are back at their 2010 best when they were just about unbeatable and will probably only get knocked out by penalties now. Second, I love the apparent cast iron assumption England will beat Costa Rica, so typically arrogant, it's no certainty whatsoever....

While on the one hand one has to say "stranger things have happened", I can't help thinking that it is all clutching at straws.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, no point in looking beyond the Italy v Costa Rica match.

However, if Italy do win that, which I actually think they will, all I can then see is a comfortable draw between Italy and Uruguay anyway.

I'd be absolutely astounded if England are not on the plane home after the final group match.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well, no point in looking beyond the Italy v Costa Rica match.

However, if Italy do win that, which I actually think they will, all I can then see is a comfortable draw between Italy and Uruguay anyway.

I'd be happy for England to play out a bore draw with Costa Rica if this happened; it would mean Uruguay and that wanker Suarez are out.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We can squeeze through with a high scoring win over Costa Rica & Italy beat Uraguay for all the hype and tension to start over again!
I think you may have been smoking something illegal,...... come back into the real world sir.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Italy beat Costa Rica - which, being realistic, I think they will - they'll go into the final game needing a draw to progress as group winners. Apart from the fact that the Italians are masters at playing for the draw, if England are a couple up with 30 mins to go, you'll end up with Uruguay only needing a draw as well.

They'll want to win the group though. If they beat Costa Rica, they'd still risk elimination if they lost to Uruguay and Costa Rica beat England - they'd all be on 6 pts.

If Italy win today, then the door is open for England. I firmly believe that door can be there for England to step through. I also firmly believe England won't be able to take it...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
all I can then see is a comfortable draw between Italy and Uruguay anyway.

One Suarez moment and Italy could be out even if they've beaten CR. Uruguay will go into that game needing a win. I don't see as they'll be anything comfortable about it. I don't think any team going up against Suarez, someone who can get a goal out of nothing will be playing out a draw.

I don't want to sound anti England, because I'm not, but this ship has sailed, I'm not sure I want to go through now as it'll be on 3 points and at the expense (on goal difference) of a country with the population the size of Birmingham and another somewhere in the rankings between Vatican City State and the Principallity of Rockall

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
If Italy win tomorrow, can't honestly see them busting a gut to win the last game.

No, but they will need at least a draw to guarantee progress and with Uruguay probably needing a win to be sure they will want a cushion. They will also want to avoid finishing 2nd and getting Brazil so i predict them winning both. Problem is I can't see us beating Costa Rica!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here