Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icelandic wunderkid

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He's gone to Lazio and starts for them on my FM game

Really? How is he rated in your current game? I've had him loaned out for the last few seasons as he is not good enough for the first team but he's not really progressing.

I'm never sure how to develop decent young players, my only success has been with players that are a bit more developed and almost ready for the first team that I can rotate in an out gradually get them playing for the first time, but I struggle with really young players as I'm not sure whether to loan them out for game time to clubs with crap training facilities or make use of my semi decent training facilities.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Really? How is he rated in your current game? I've had him loaned out for the last few seasons as he is not good enough for the first team but he's not really progressing.

I'm never sure how to develop decent young players, my only success has been with players that are a bit more developed and almost ready for the first team that I can rotate in an out gradually get them playing for the first time, but I struggle with really young players as I'm not sure whether to loan them out for game time to clubs with crap training facilities or make use of my semi decent training facilities.

Really promising ones you should try and get them tutored, and give them game time. I usually find putting them on the bench then playing them for the last 30, and starting cup games works.

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
One small piece in an Icelandic paper today suggested West Ham United are interested in Ragnar Larusson. Also said Brighton coaches are extremely happy with his progress at the club.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It would be interesting some day if some anorak did a analysis of all the players, say in the last 10 years who have been through our academy/ yoof set up and actually gone on to be a regular in the first team.

Everyone on here shouts that we should buy such and such instead of looking to bring through these kids.

All we seem to read about is another youngster going to a lower league team. Is that our ambition with the yoof? Will it be that much difference after spending stupid money on a state of the art training facility? Will these foreign managers care one hoot about the youngsters and instead look to their own scouting network like poyet did?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
All we seem to read about is another youngster going to a lower league team. Is that our ambition with the yoof? Will it be that much difference after spending stupid money on a state of the art training facility? Will these foreign managers care one hoot about the youngsters and instead look to their own scouting network like poyet did?

I'd have thought one of the reasons the club went for Oscar was, with the training facilities due soon, he has a past of working with and improving talented youngsters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It would be interesting some day if some anorak did a analysis of all the players, say in the last 10 years who have been through our academy/ yoof set up and actually gone on to be a regular in the first team.

Everyone on here shouts that we should buy such and such instead of looking to bring through these kids.

Seems rather unfair. Poyet gave at least some first team chances to Forster-Caskey, Hall, Cook, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers, etc and promoted March to the first team squad, before he left.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Seems rather unfair. Poyet gave at least some first team chances to Forster-Caskey, Hall, Cook, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers, etc and promoted March to the first team squad, before he left.

So that is 7 ish! But to be fair none of them have established themselves as first choice players. In fact in all the 40 odd years
Watching brighton I can think of very few who we have brought through. Steve piper, tony towner, now I am struggling. Anyone else?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So that is 7 ish! But to be fair none of them have established themselves as first choice players. In fact in all the 40 odd years
Watching brighton I can think of very few who we have brought through. Steve piper, tony towner, now I am struggling. Anyone else?

Adam El Abd

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

El Abd, Joel Lynch, Dean Cox, Tommy Fraser, Jake Robinson, Dean Hammond, Doug Loft, Adam Hinshelwood, Tommy Elphick, Dan Harding...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Adam Virgo

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Good point you would think the sight of a half build training facility would have inspired some of our youngsters to up their game by now ?

Alternatively we need to look to the current crop of 11 year olds and younger, to see what the true impact will be. Developing first team regulars is also only one measure of the success of an academy. Surely youth products who go on to play for other teams, should also be included in this analysis, as youth coaches have no influence on whether a first team coach picks a certain player ?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I think it's Bayern Munich that approach their yearly youth intake with the aim of at least two players to become good enough for the first team and two to become good enough to sell to other Bundesliga clubs

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I thought part of the reason for building the Academy/Training ground was to help us attract better youngsters to join the club so it improves the chances of us developing them into future stars, From my understanding we've allways had a problem attracting youngsters to the club because of the lack of facilities.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ian Chapman, Kerry Mayo, Paul McCarthy.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If 16-year-old Gareth Barry was in our system now, would he still leave?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So we are agreed that is 21 then?

Anyone else?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
El Abd, Joel Lynch, Dean Cox, Tommy Fraser, Jake Robinson, Dean Hammond, Doug Loft, Adam Hinshelwood, Tommy Elphick, Dan Harding...

Yes but apart from El Abd, Joel Lynch, Dean Cox, Tommy Fraser, Jake Robinson, Dean Hammond, Doug Loft, Adam Hinshelwood, Tommy Elphick, Dan Harding...

Who has come through the youth set up and played in the first team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here