Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay, let's be controversial here.

Was he a terrorist? YES
Was he a murderer? MOST LIKELY
Did he cause pain and suffering to many many families? UNDOUBTEDLY
Did he play a significant part on the peace process? YES
Did his actions in later life improve the prospects for peace in northern Ireland? YES
Did his work with Ian Paisley give hope to many families on both sides? HIGHLY LIKELY

So on balance he seems to have been a sinner who repented. In which case I'm sure the Christians on both sides of this debate will do the Christian thing

It's probably easier to look at what Colin Parry says today which is that you can't forgive what he did but you have to respect the man he became in later life

Or you could listen to the family of mother, Joanne Mathers whose murderer McGuiness never named despite strong evidence that he ordered the killings. There was no repent there, the man only gave up guns for immunity from prosecution. Respect him? Nah.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Was he a terrorist? YES
Did his actions in later life improve the prospects for peace in northern Ireland? YES
Did his work with Ian Paisley give hope to many families on both sides? HIGHLY LIKELY

So on balance he seems to have been a sinner who repented. In which case I'm sure the Christians on both sides of this debate will do the Christian thing

It's probably easier to look at what Colin Parry says today which is that you can't forgive what he did but you have to respect the man he became in later life

I'm afraid anyone even remotely connected the murder of children can never be anything other than festering scum who's better off dead, no matter how nice a guy you may think he is nowadays.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm afraid anyone even remotely connected the murder of children can never be anything other than festering scum who's better off dead, no matter how nice a guy you may think he is nowadays.

That rules out most politicians then.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Was he a terrorist? YES

Please don't ever tell us..."you HAVE to respect the man he became".

He was utter scum and if there is a hell, may he burn long and painfully in it.

Was he a terrorist? YES

The PIRA was so badly infiltrated by British security agents that McGuiness couldn't take a shit without us knowing.

He had no choice but to move into Politics.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Please don't ever tell us..."you HAVE to respect the man he became".

He was utter scum and if there is a hell, may he burn long and painfully in it.

I'm not telling you that. I'm merely repeating something that a father who had his young son murdered by the IRA said on BBC TV this morning.

My own personal views, for what they're worth, are that for what he did as a member of the IRA he should have had a lifetime in jail. Whether that would have helped or hindered achieving the fragile peace that now exists we will never know.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The PIRA was so badly infiltrated by British security agents that McGuiness couldn't take a shit without us knowing.

He had no choice but to move into Politics.

If it was so badly infiltrated and if his early death would have helped secure peace earlier, why didn't it happen?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Was he a terrorist? YES

Enlightened post, and you are correct, it probably will be controversial because some people struggle so much to get past binary.

At some point, I'm sure there will be a very interesting post mortem biography on McGuiness...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
it probably will be controversial because some people struggle so much to get past binary.

I don't know why this 'binary' bollocks is creeping into the language but that is what it is, bollocks.

Most normal people 'struggle' with the concept of a mass murderer being anything else but a mass murderer. Happily he is now a dead mass murderer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't know why this 'binary' bollocks is creeping into the language but that is what it is, bollocks.

Most normal people 'struggle' with the concept of a mass murderer being anything else but a mass murderer. Happily he is now a dead mass murderer.

As far as I'm concerned something is either binary or it isn't.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Ulster Unionist Leader, Mike Nesbitt MLA, said this will be a “challenging day for victims of the Troubles.”

"I believe no-one needed to die to get Northern Ireland to where it is today. Clearly Martin McGuinness very actively disagreed with that analysis, but I also accept in his later years he was on a journey to create change through politics, becoming a pivotal figure at Stormont.

It would be less than honest if I said other than that I found him a straight-dealing politician in any engagement I had with him.

History will reflect a complex life story."

Colin Parry, whose son Tim died from his injuries after being caught up in an IRA bombing in Warrington town centre in 1993 has told the BBC the McGuiness
"I can only judge him as I found him, a quiet man totally committed to peace process."

Alistair Campbell
"So sad Martin McGuinness has died. Some will never forgive his past but without him there would be no peace. The man I knew was a great guy"

Mary Travers’ sister Ann:
“Losing a loved family member suddenly to violence or illness is heartbreaking,” she said. “Mr McGuinness oversaw a violent terrorist organisation for many years. For the past couple of decades he was given the accolade of peace maker. It’s disappointing and heartbreaking for families of IRA victims that during this period he didn’t give them the answers and acknowledgement that he could have. Today my thoughts are with all the innocents who met their death violently and suddenly, not giving their families the time to adjust and say goodbye.”

A life of war and peace.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can you imagine the grim things that man ordered? The families he tore apart in the dark days? Genuinely makes me shudder.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I'm not sure 'binary' has crept in to the language?!?! It's not a difficult concept, people are not all good or all bad - As ROSM pointed out, Martin McGuinness has a very dark past, he is also a very important part of the peace process. To recognise the former but not the latter is a mistake.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

yep, just about nails it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here