Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Lemon Joins Big Lemon

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15164425.Ex_transport_minister_joins_Big_Lemon_Bus/

FORMER transport minister Norman Baker has joined The Big Lemon Bus to help bring environmentally-friendly public transport to the whole country.

The former Liberal Democrat MP has been named managing director of the Brighton-based bus firm founded by Green city councillor Tom Druitt in 2006.

Mr Druitt said the former Lewes MP would bring huge experience and extensive industry contacts to the role, freeing him up to establish similar community schemes around the country.

The company has a long-term ambition of bringing affordable, zero emission public transport to every community in the country by 2030.

Mr Baker was Lewes MP from 1997 to 2015, served as transport minister from 2010 to 2013 and was named Bus Users UK chairman six months after losing his seat.

Mr Druitt said: “Norman is clearly a very capable person with a huge amount of experience in the industry.

“We advertised the role and he applied for it. We wanted to have a rigorous recruitment process and it was very clear he was the right person for the job.

“He brings extensive contacts in the industry that will really help get the message out to people anywhere in the country.

“Norman was very clear that he didn’t want a role doing after-dinner speeches, he wanted to get stuck in and run the service day to day. It’s a very hands on role.”

The company is planning to go electric with a solar powered charging point at their Whitehawk depot thanks to a successful £25,000 crowdfunding campaign.

The charging point will be installed in the next three weeks and up and running at the end of next month.

One of the Big Lemon’s famous cooking oil fuelled buses has already been converted to electric with a second completed this month.

The buses are also being fitted out with wi-fi, usb charging points and more comfortable seating.

Mr Druitt said he was pleased that “peer pressure” had led to rival firm Brighton and Hove Buses trialling an electric vehicle this week.

He said the company would now look to set up new depots outside of the city with strong interest from Bristol, Totnes, Hertfordshire and Southampton.

Mr Druitt said: “I have been juggling two parts of the role over the last few years, balancing the day-to-day running of the organisation and the business development side in finding new technology and people to work with.

“This recruitment process was really to find the right person to take on management of the operation in Brighton and Hove so I can focus on building connections and getting the message out there.”

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15164425.Ex_transport_minister_joins_Big_Lemon_Bus/

FORMER transport minister Norman Baker has joined The Big Lemon Bus to help bring environmentally-friendly public transport to the whole country.

The former Liberal Democrat MP has been named managing director of the Brighton-based bus firm founded by Green city councillor Tom Druitt in 2006.

Mr Druitt said the former Lewes MP would bring huge experience and extensive industry contacts to the role, freeing him up to establish similar community schemes around the country.

The company has a long-term ambition of bringing affordable, zero emission public transport to every community in the country by 2030.

Mr Baker was Lewes MP from 1997 to 2015, served as transport minister from 2010 to 2013 and was named Bus Users UK chairman six months after losing his seat.

Mr Druitt said: “Norman is clearly a very capable person with a huge amount of experience in the industry.

“We advertised the role and he applied for it. We wanted to have a rigorous recruitment process and it was very clear he was the right person for the job.

“He brings extensive contacts in the industry that will really help get the message out to people anywhere in the country.

“Norman was very clear that he didn’t want a role doing after-dinner speeches, he wanted to get stuck in and run the service day to day. It’s a very hands on role.”

The company is planning to go electric with a solar powered charging point at their Whitehawk depot thanks to a successful £25,000 crowdfunding campaign.

The charging point will be installed in the next three weeks and up and running at the end of next month.

One of the Big Lemon’s famous cooking oil fuelled buses has already been converted to electric with a second completed this month.

The buses are also being fitted out with wi-fi, usb charging points and more comfortable seating.

Mr Druitt said he was pleased that “peer pressure” had led to rival firm Brighton and Hove Buses trialling an electric vehicle this week.

He said the company would now look to set up new depots outside of the city with strong interest from Bristol, Totnes, Hertfordshire and Southampton.

Mr Druitt said: “I have been juggling two parts of the role over the last few years, balancing the day-to-day running of the organisation and the business development side in finding new technology and people to work with.

“This recruitment process was really to find the right person to take on management of the operation in Brighton and Hove so I can focus on building connections and getting the message out there.”

Love your title, "Big Lemon Joins Big Lemon."!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

every time I smell the fat from the buses in the Amex car park I'll think of the fat basxxxxd who cost the Albion thousands of pounds delaying our move to the Amex .

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would question that if he is responsible for hiring him.

I would be more concerned if he hired him as a driver for match days! That would be a laugh!

But I don't know if Tom is a dyed in the wool Brighton fan and reading the blurb Baker has 'contacts' in the industry so a purely business decision.

Our own Paul Barber makes controversial business decisions, but again he is a nice guy too!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
every time I smell the fat from the buses in the Amex car park I'll think of the fat basxxxxd who cost the Albion thousands of pounds delaying our move to the Amex .
Millions of pounds.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This. Also Tom Druitt is a really decent guy.

It's a shame that they haven't really progressed to give the B&H buses monopoly some serious competition in Brighton.

I know Tom too, and he's worked his butt off to try to make something of The Big Lemon, despite numerous hurdles established by the council and a private monopoly provider.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here