Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The clock ticking on a process that can be derailed by any one of 27 nations who's need for a deal is less urgent than ours; building new deals with countries outside the EU who are not subject to the same time pressures and in an atmosphere of increased protectionism. In case this wasn't good enough.....I give you the political giants that are Johnson and Davies.

I know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but without the Kool Aid I can't see how anyone can see us as being in a position of relative strength.

I agree with this.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This full article explains what is wrong with referendums and also questions why such a huge fundamental changing of the constitution, ie referendums not being legally binding to becoming binding and also goes some way to explaining why the general public are really not qualified to vote on something like Brexit and indeed why it basically absolves politicians of any responsibility. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.conversion-uplift.co.uk/brexit-referendum-and-democracy/amp/

Public not qualified to vote lol. Yea lets have dictators like stalin instead then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whole load of 'what ifs' in those thoughts. A man can worry himself to death with what ifs; I shan't.

Fair enough. May the best team win.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well done looks like your well known copy and paste skills have let you down today 'see comments'

I'm looking but will probably find Wally first.

On my mobile, busy doing other things, unlike you who are sat dribbling over your witty comments on here.
I get slated if I c and p, and slated if I don't, make your mind up.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Public not qualified to vote lol. Yea lets have dictators like stalin instead then.

Do some reading. You're clueless. You're also an utter head-mental and I shan't be fuelling another one of your 6 page insanity rants full of insults and swearing. You're bad news and life's too short.

Tatty Bye
TC

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No, our victory is to leave the EU. True, we're still waiting for Article 50 to be triggered, but that shouldn't be long now! Wonderful days!

Indeed. Worst case scenario we exit under WTO most favoured nation rules. Trade with the EU on the same basis as other G7 nations (US, Canada,Japan) they seem to manage.

Considering the huge vested interests both economic and political I still think common sense will prevail and it is likely we will come to some mutually beneficial trade agreement.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Indeed. Worst case scenario we exit under WTO most favoured nation rules. Trade with the EU on the same basis as other G7 nations (US, Canada,Japan) they seem to manage.

Considering the huge vested interests both economic and political I still think common sense will prevail and it is likely we will come to some mutually beneficial trade agreement.

The same mutually beneficial agreement as Canada's CETA arrangement that took 7 years to finalise or the same as Japan's free trade agreement, that they hope will be finalised this year after just 4 years of talks? Japan is the 3rd biggest economy in the world, the EU's 6th largest export market and The EU's is Japan's 3rd largest export market. Common sense would be for the 2 sides to do a deal there, but still it drags on.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Do some reading. You're clueless. You're also an utter head-mental and I shan't be fuelling another one of your 6 page insanity rants full of insults and swearing. You're bad news and life's too short.

Tatty Bye
TC

Ive done plenty of reading thanks. The obvious failing to your argument is that democracies outlast dictatorships by a wide margin, so the ill informed public cant be doing a to bad a job. Or do you mean you are ill informed? So you should hand in your vote?

Or are you claiming to be smarter than average? That would smack against all available evidence.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The same mutually beneficial agreement as Canada's CETA arrangement that took 7 years to finalise or the same as Japan's free trade agreement, that they hope will be finalised this year after just 4 years of talks? Japan is the 3rd biggest economy in the world, the EU's 6th largest export market and The EU's is Japan's 3rd largest export market. Common sense would be for the 2 sides to do a deal there, but still it drags on.

You make a good point about the absurd amount of time it takes the EU to agree a trade deal but our situation is somewhat different. We already comply with all EU standards and regulations. We have numerous long established economic and political links, severing a certain percentage should taker a shorter time than building them all up from scratch. The EU are losing a major cash cow but want us to pay a significant divorce settlement which gives us further leverage in trade talks. As important as the EU market is for us we will be the largest single nation export market for the EU, companies/businesses across Europe will no doubt be lobbying furiously for a deal.

But yes because of the way the EU operates it may drag on or even fail in which case WTO rules kick in.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Looking at a micro level the problem is the uncertainty. Many UK businesses have spent years building up business in Europe and now don't know the future terms under which that business will operate. This leads to reduced investment in growth with an impact on jobs. I hope we end up with a good trade deal with the EU as well as deals with Canada etc. but the interim period could be very tough.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You make a good point about the absurd amount of time it takes the EU to agree a trade deal but our situation is somewhat different. We already comply with all EU standards and regulations. We have numerous long established economic and political links, severing a certain percentage should taker a shorter time than building them all up from scratch. The EU are losing a major cash cow but want us to pay a significant divorce settlement which gives us further leverage in trade talks. As important as the EU market is for us we will be the largest single nation export market for the EU, companies/businesses across Europe will no doubt be lobbying furiously for a deal.

But yes because of the way the EU operates it may drag on or even fail in which case WTO rules kick in.

I would suspect that for EU unity they will want a deal that clearly shows the UK to be in a worse position than we are now.

So fully expect the EU to play hard ball.

I do admire your optimism even if it is misplaced

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Looking at a micro level the problem is the uncertainty. Many UK businesses have spent years building up business in Europe and now don't know the future terms under which that business will operate. This leads to reduced investment in growth with an impact on jobs. I hope we end up with a good trade deal with the EU as well as deals with Canada etc. but the interim period could be very tough.

Yes, the more uncertainty there is the more economic damage (on all sides) there is likely to be. Which is why I would hope the clamour from businesses both big and small many who fund and lobby political parties will focus the minds of the governments. Agree it could be tougher than necessary on both sides economically speaking if we are forced into a position of exiting without a deal or without sensible transitional arrangements.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I would suspect that for EU unity they will want a deal that clearly shows the UK to be in a worse position than we are now.

So fully expect the EU to play hard ball.

I do admire your optimism even if it is misplaced

I very much doubt the EU can present a united front over a two year period. There are already significant tensions between member states on numerous issues and the upcoming elections in Europe could prove interesting.

But I expect both sides will claim a win if a deal is reached.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Can't be arsed to read it, but the title doesn't suggest a balanced review of Brexit!

I will summarise.....

The UK economy has been flawed for decades, and is in fact the ONLY developed country in the world which has a growing economy AND contracting wages. Something fundamentally wrong there, the article suggests. The causes being a lack of investment, poor productivity and an endemic trade deficit.

It suggests Remainers are wrong for not recognising that the status quo must change. And that Brexiters have no clue (or appetite?) on how to reform the economy.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

You're right in what you say there. Small matter of 38 national and regional parliaments to potentially ratify any deal with us too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here