Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT extends Champions League rights.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is BT Sport that expensive?

I may be wrong, but I think we only pay £5 a month on top of our phone and broadband package with BT.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BT can extend its Champions League rights as much as it likes. But nobody more's watching. Seriously, unless their own club is directly involved, how many people actually care about the Champions League outside of the Asian market? And they'll watch and bet on ANYTHING! Just about everywhere else, it's just an irrelevant game burbling away in the background. Winter Is coming. BT Sport will be next to go under.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
BT can extend its Champions League rights as much as it likes. But nobody more's watching. Seriously, unless their own club is directly involved, how many people actually care about the Champions League outside of the Asian market? And they'll watch and bet on ANYTHING! Just about everywhere else, it's just an irrelevant game burbling away in the background. Winter Is coming. BT Sport will be next to go under.

Indeed. I used to quite enjoy the Champions League back in the late 90s/early 2000s. It's just completely lost its appeal, and I couldn't care less about it now. I think the last match I watched was that hilarious final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Personally i think this will lower the tv audience dramatically for CL games people will not pay extortionate prices for BT subscriptions anymore. I have absolutely no interesr in ultimately giving overpaid footballers at top c;lubs even more money through tv deals the game is bankrupting itself just sad really
Not seen a champions league game since it moved to BT but saying that it's become a very dull competition anyway just like the very dull europa league.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO the championship is a lot more exciting than The Champions League.BT i believe are increasing the BT sport fee from July.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
IMO the championship is a lot more exciting than The Champions League.BT i believe are increasing the BT sport fee from July.

Goes up £1 from 01.04

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't mind BT's coverage to be honest. Some pundits are better than others, but that's no different to the BBC or Sky really.

As someone who has BT Sport at home but not Sky, I'm quite happy with that outcome. I think gradually they will start dipping their toe into other sports and taking events off Sky. Obtaining the rights to The Ashes in the winter is a big coup for them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
At least its not on the Murdoch channel

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have to say I'm pretty happy with BT. Sorry to buck the trend. It's a pretty good package for the price and well below the financial commitment of Sky. The odd PL game, access to CL and some good sports documentaries. That's enough for me & I cherry pick Sky matches on Now TV day passes.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I don't care if it's sky or bt. I watch it all for free on Kodi - clearly not HD but as good as the old days through a TV aerial

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't care if it's sky or bt. I watch it all for free on Kodi - clearly not HD but as good as the old days through a TV aerial

Which is great when you've spent £800 on a 1080p TV..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have to say I'm pretty happy with BT. Sorry to buck the trend. It's a pretty good package for the price and well below the financial commitment of Sky. The odd PL game, access to CL and some good sports documentaries. That's enough for me & I cherry pick Sky matches on Now TV day passes.

The rugby coverage on BT Sport is excellent. I have it just for that (and looking forward to The Ashes). I haven't seen a single CL game though, I hadn't even realised they had it ... shows how little interest I have in that competition

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The rugby coverage on BT Sport is excellent. I have it just for that (and looking forward to The Ashes). I haven't seen a single CL game though, I hadn't even realised they had it ... shows how little interest I have in that competition

Have they got the Ashes ?? TBH Cricket is all I have sky for, that could be a game changer!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Champions League has dropped right off my radar since ITV lost the rights. I won't pay subscription fees any more, so if I'm really keen to watch a particular game (rare), or bored (not so rare), then I'll just whistle it up on Kodi. Sometimes I can get a HD stream if I get an American channel covering it (Fox or something), but I'm not overly fussed if its a bit ropey. I'm usually watching it on the laptop anyway. A bit of in-play or an acca holds my interest.

But PAY for it ? Mmmmnah.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have they got the Ashes ?? TBH Cricket is all I have sky for, that could be a game changer!

Yes - next winter's Ashes series is on BT.

But surely you as a Palace fan should be going where the CL rights are anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here