Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

off topic, ski resort advice

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
La Rosiere is a good call. Fairly high at about 1800, not ugly and very good for families.

Transfer from Geneva around 2.5 hours though.

Just booked yesterday to go there next Saturday. Not the most challenging skiing, but good for families (or old people like me!) If you can get a flight to Chamberey it's about 1.5 hrs transfer (And the fact that there are really long buttons scross the top of the St Bernard pass into Italy tends to put off snowboarders) :smile:

When our kids were small we found Austria to be brilliant for youngsters. Only problem is that you often have to bus to the slopes. Most Ski in/out places tend to be custom built like Les Arcs. Also found Andorra good for kids as they tend to be English instructors, but long transfer.

*edit* and lift passes are about half the price of Paradiski or three valleys.

We used to use these http://www.espritski.com/ Great childcare, they take the kids to skischool, pick them up and give them lunch while you and the Mrs do all the mad stuff. Afternoons, nice gentle ski with the family.

They'll also put you in chalets with families the same age which is good for the kids

Last edited:

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Thanks all at NSC as always you've came up with the goods:

Top 3 on my list now are Les Gets, Avoriaz and La Rosiere, choices choices!!!

Probably come down to value and availability, can't wait to get back on the slopes, its been 6 years!

Cheers all!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm in Les Menuires at the moment - its an excellent resort

It's changed a lot then but I suppose it depends what you look for in a resort! If you want a chalet holiday close to the slopes with connections to three/four valleys it's fine but it's just characterless concrete village, no apres-ski and a v. poor selection of restaurants.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was about to say this, almost word for word. Lovely village, all slopes close to accommodation.

But don't book the places right at the top of the village, they are isolated, much higher, and on the wrong side of the valley.

We drive when we go. It is a long way, but you save a fortune by filling your car with food and drink, and all the stuff your kids will need. 11.30 PM ferry from Newhaven, in the resort by about 2pm the next day.

Booking an apartment privately, through Booking.com or Air b'n'b helps too!

People say skiing is prohibitively expensive - doing it like this makes it very affordable.

Get out on the bike if it doesn't snow! :thumbsup:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
This might have already been mentioned:

http://www.monts-jura.com/en/accueil-home-hiver.html

- 30 minutes from Geneva Airport
- Beginner-friendly
- Not a resort per se, but there are reasonably priced hotels in the surrounding area (e.g. Adagio Geneve in Saint Genis Pouilly)
- Used by locals at weekends, has always been reasonably quiet during the week
- Our kids learned there (they were 9 and 6 when we first went), and it was ideal for the purpose of introducing them to skiing
- We still pop in occasionally (my cousin lives 15 minutes from the slopes), and while the pistes aren't huge it's still nice.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you have small kids in Les Deux Alpes the only way back to town is a couple of fairly steep runs, possibly blacks if my memory is correct, or a blue that gets completely skied out.

(I discovered this on the first morning having had a little warm up with a 6 and 8 year old, and then having to get them back for ski school, so the black it was !)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you have small kids in Les Deux Alpes the only way back to town is a couple of fairly steep runs, possibly blacks if my memory is correct, or a blue that gets completely skied out.

(I discovered this on the first morning having had a little warm up with a 6 and 8 year old, and then having to get them back for ski school, so the black it was !)

There's a new run into resort over by the Valentine, not sure of the rating but I doubt it'll be another red or black.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's changed a lot then but I suppose it depends what you look for in a resort! If you want a chalet holiday close to the slopes with connections to three/four valleys it's fine but it's just characterless concrete village, no apres-ski and a v. poor selection of restaurants.

The hotel I'm at is excellent, the food is good and the skiing is some of the best in Europe (better than most of the resorts that have been recommended on here, funnily enough). But I've been skiing years and I need a range of skiing to keep me interested for a week, so this resort is excellent.

I agree, if getting drunk and eating out every night are the main goals, then I wouldn't recommend this resort, but going on the OPs criteria, I'd say it hits everything but the connection time.

Still, we all like different things.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Do you think so ? didnt seem a shithole to me , but ive only seen it in the winter.

It's a proper dirty little resort, full of takeaways, tat shops, boozers and moody clubs like La Brasilien and Avalanche, but those are the reasons why I love it, spent some of the best years of my life there and my met my Mrs too. So many characters about in the resort too, all there for the good times and the craic.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The hotel I'm at is excellent, the food is good and the skiing is some of the best in Europe (better than most of the resorts that have been recommended on here, funnily enough). But I've been skiing years and I need a range of skiing to keep me interested for a week, so this resort is excellent.

I agree, if getting drunk and eating out every night are the main goals, then I wouldn't recommend this resort, but going on the OPs criteria, I'd say it hits everything but the connection time.

Still, we all like different things.

The 3 Valleys can boast over 600km of piste alone which is the largest terrain in the Alps, but lift passes tend to reflect this. Les Menuires, as you say, is ugly as sin but is perfectly situated for a confident skier/boarder to get around the valleys.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I knew [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] would be all over this thread. :afro:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Generally if you want short transfers and charm go for Austria . Soll is an excellent resort all round good for learners and enough more challenging stuff. The skiwelt area all links up easily. I'd also suggest Elmau for real charm. If you are going at half term then realistically everywhere is going to be busy but queues are not the nightmare they used to be.

It's a 5 min free bus ride to the lifts but if you leave your kit at the ski garage at the bottom of the lift each night then this is not a problem.
Another recommendation for Soll. Lovely resort at any time of year. Have a look at Hotel Feldwebel. Used by my family for 30 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd avoid Chamonix, short transfer but a bit of a pain getting to the slopes from town.

I know what you mean but base yourself within walking distance of one of the lifts so you have immediate access to one area and use the bus to access others on other days. Do this and it doesn't seem such an issue. I quite like Chamonix and it has some excellent slopes IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to Lech this year. Anyone been? Anything to look out for?

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
St Gervais near Chamonix is a beautiful village and the ski pass gives access to a wide ski area from St Nicholas to Megeve. But if you are prepared to wait until Easter, which is early this year, then I totally recommend Bansko in Bulgaria. Excellent family resort and prices are well below France both up the mountain and in the village and there are lots of thermal pools and spas to relax in.

Yep, a vote for Bansko here. Been 5 times, 10 of us going again in Feb

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here