Manchester
OK, received mine now.

First, the cover:

IMG_20150130_090925~2.jpg

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
So, on to the meat.

1. Do You Wanna Dance? - The Beach Boys. A classic, obviously. Definitely a singles band the Beach Boys, at least until 1965 or so. I tried listening to Surfin' Safari recently. Jeez...

2. Ain't No God In Mexico - Waylon Jennings. Some neat guitar picking from the pill poppin' Texan. Not sure what he's saying in this song, but it might be a bit unfair on Mexico. Those of us of a certain age will always have a soft spot for Waylon as the voiceover in the Dukes of Hazzard.

3. Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan. Oh dear, what am I going to say about this? I realise that Dylan was hugely important, and especially around this period with his move from folk to electric rock and roll (Judas!). I know he was a massive influence on everybody under the sun and is revered by a huge chunk of the population. Me, I never really get on with him, although I periodically have another go (to the extent that I own several of his albums). It's his voice I think, and the general snideness. Give me Donovan any day.

4. Race With The Devil - Gene Vincent. There's nothing finer under the sun than the first two Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps albums, and this is one of his best.

5. Riders On The Storm - The Doors. See Dylan. Another group really rated by a lot of people that I just don't get. Portentous nonsense, silly lyrics, sweaty fat knob flashing loser fronting a pub rock band. The Seeds did this stuff so much better.

6. Need More Time - Epoxies. Didn't really know much about this lot, so I googled them. They are a "robot garage rock band" from Portland "known for using special effects for their live act and sporting home-made costumes". So I was expecting a Devo/ Man Or Astroman sort of thing. I wasn't far off, but what I got most of all was the Rezillos, with a touch of Kim Wilde. All good things of course, and I shall investigate further.

7. Hot Rod Heart - John Fogerty. I like a bit of Creedence as much as the next man, but I've never really heard any of his solo stuff. This is US FM Radio rawk, but Creedence always did this stuff as well as anyone so I've no objection.

8. (Ghost) Riders In The Sky - The Ramrods. Another classic. Yee hah! Has anybody ever heard their follow up, Loch Lomond Rock, complete with bagpipes? Insane.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Great, almost poetic review,............ I think you summed me up very well,.............. nice one.

Note: Southern recorded that in their garage in Northern Ireland..... hardly polished.....

When I recorded stuff in my garage, it never sounded that good - they must have some decent equipment. However, my poor 4-track did enable some interesting sounds - a sonic cathedral of distortion and accidental moments of intense beauty, in fact. I think my mate recorded a Genesis album over the top of it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
9. Fortunate Son - Dropkick Murphys. More Creedence, this time from the erstwhile "Celtic Punks". To me, the phrase "celtic punk" causes heart sinkage I'm afraid. And why do so many Americans want to be "Celts" anyway? Good song though - prefer the original.

10. Walk - Pantera. Metal, a problematic genre for me. 90% of it is nonsense. It's the paper thin guitar sound, the bombast, the false portentousness, the all mouth and no trousers, the twiddly, twiddly guitar solos, the reverence for virtuosity. No musical genre is all bad though, and the other 10% rocks. This is part of the 90%.

11. Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters. I've heard many Foo Fighters songs in my life, and none of them have made any impression on me whatsoever. Meat and two veg rock band only famous because of the band he used to be in. Forgotten it already.

12. Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana. I like Nirvana. They distilled the Pixies and Husker Du together pretty effectively.Never quite got why they were so much bigger than lots of other bands though, even before he shot himself. And killing yourself when you're responsible for a young child is the act of a selfish coward.

13. Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits. If you'd asked me in 1986 I'd have told you that Dire Straits were the great satan of popular music, symbolic of everything wrong with the world. I don't know how they reached that position among us indie kids, apart from being the first band to sell lots of cds. We were right about CDs being crap, but that was hardly Dire Straits' fault. This is ok, not so offensive. Certainly plenty of worse things out there. Goes on a bit.

14. Baba O'Riley - The Who. Another one. This Secret Santa has done a fantastic job of homing in on people I feel slightly guilty about. I know I ought to like The Who, I really do. I do keep trying. Don't like his voice, don't like the bombast. My Uncle John likes The Who, but only Tommy and later. He's a massive Jethro Tull fan too. Used to follow Be Bop Delux round the country when they were on tour. Sings with a finger in his ear on open mike folk nights.

15. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson. Always struck me as one of the good guys, Willie Nelson, largely for stuff outside of music. Always liked this song though. Good mouth organ.

So there we are. Thanks very much, I enjoyed listening to that- lots of stuff I wouldn't normally listen to, and it allowed me to air some of my irrational prejudices in the review. My pick for the compilation will be Race With The Devil.

I'll have a guess when I've gone back to the list to work out who's still standing. Unless it's [MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Best of Secret Santa compilation update

http://www.mixcloud.com/NorthStandChatMusic/

[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - Postmarks - No one said it would be easy
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] Real Estate - Hard to hear/James Yorkston - Red fox
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] June Brides - Sunday to Saturday
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] Terry Callier - Fix the blame/Jeff Mills - The bells
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] Soulsavers - Longest day
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] Ruth Copeland - Gimme shelter
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] Victor Malloy - Boys don't cry
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] Frank Zappa - Valley girl
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] - ?
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] - Kathryn Roberts/Sean Lakeman - Ballad of Andy Jacobs
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] - Arvo Part - Spiegel im spiegel
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] - Desmond Dekker - 007
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] - Small Reactions - Shark week
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - Palma Violets - Best of friends
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] - Love - Alone again or
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] - Nizlopi - Freedom
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - Ken Boothe - The train is coming

yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]

Seriously geeky question to which I suspect the answer is no. Is there any way of streaming this to Sonos? I have a SoundCloud and Spotify Premium account and up to now those have been the only ones I've needed. However I don't think the device supports Mixcloud. Can I simply stream a url somehow?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
10. Walk - Pantera. Metal, a problematic genre for me. 90% of it is nonsense. It's the paper thin guitar sound, the bombast, the false portentousness, the all mouth and no trousers, the twiddly, twiddly guitar solos, the reverence for virtuosity. No musical genre is all bad though, and the other 10% rocks. This

:lolol:

Fantastically written review all the way but this bit was my favourite. It NAILS my feelings about metal perfectly. I have to agree with you on Dylan as well. I can't get the guy at all. My wife loves him, or did till we saw him live in Sydney about 12 years ago. He was dreadful, just an old bloke mumbling the blues, slightly out of time. The only reason he wasn't instantly reclassified as a certified nutter was because he was following Ani DiFranco on stage and she's proper batshit mental so he scrubbed up well in comparison.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
:lolol:

Fantastically written review all the way but this bit was my favourite. It NAILS my feelings about metal perfectly.

It nails my feelings about metal too, but as you might have noticed by the list of tracks on my CD2 for spring hall convert, from the other perspective. What I love about metal is that does not have to be taken seriously, it can be about rocking out and having fun and it is a very broad church.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
9. Fortunate Son - Dropkick Murphys. More Creedence, this time from the erstwhile "Celtic Punks". To me, the phrase "celtic punk" causes heart sinkage I'm afraid. And why do so many Americans want to be "Celts" anyway? Good song though - prefer the original.

10. Walk - Pantera. Metal, a problematic genre for me. 90% of it is nonsense. It's the paper thin guitar sound, the bombast, the false portentousness, the all mouth and no trousers, the twiddly, twiddly guitar solos, the reverence for virtuosity. No musical genre is all bad though, and the other 10% rocks. This is part of the 90%.

11. Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters. I've heard many Foo Fighters songs in my life, and none of them have made any impression on me whatsoever. Meat and two veg rock band only famous because of the band he used to be in. Forgotten it already.

12. Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana. I like Nirvana. They distilled the Pixies and Husker Du together pretty effectively.Never quite got why they were so much bigger than lots of other bands though, even before he shot himself. And killing yourself when you're responsible for a young child is the act of a selfish coward.

13. Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits. If you'd asked me in 1986 I'd have told you that Dire Straits were the great satan of popular music, symbolic of everything wrong with the world. I don't know how they reached that position among us indie kids, apart from being the first band to sell lots of cds. We were right about CDs being crap, but that was hardly Dire Straits' fault. This is ok, not so offensive. Certainly plenty of worse things out there. Goes on a bit.

14. Baba O'Riley - The Who. Another one. This Secret Santa has done a fantastic job of homing in on people I feel slightly guilty about. I know I ought to like The Who, I really do. I do keep trying. Don't like his voice, don't like the bombast. My Uncle John likes The Who, but only Tommy and later. He's a massive Jethro Tull fan too. Used to follow Be Bop Delux round the country when they were on tour. Sings with a finger in his ear on open mike folk nights.

15. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson. Always struck me as one of the good guys, Willie Nelson, largely for stuff outside of music. Always liked this song though. Good mouth organ.

So there we are. Thanks very much, I enjoyed listening to that- lots of stuff I wouldn't normally listen to, and it allowed me to air some of my irrational prejudices in the review. My pick for the compilation will be Race With The Devil.

I'll have a guess when I've gone back to the list to work out who's still standing. Unless it's [MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]?

No 'fraid not me.

Flex Your Head

5. Riders On The Storm - The Doors. See Dylan. Another group really rated by a lot of people that I just don't get. Portentous nonsense, silly lyrics, sweaty fat knob flashing loser fronting a pub rock band. The Seeds did this stuff so much better.
Fantastic review throughout, but this sums up my feelings regarding The Doors absolutely perfectly. The most over-rated band of all time along with Led Zep.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
OK, [MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]?

It was indeed me Staly, great review. As I read the first half and saw your opinions on a few tracks I just knew what would be coming for the Foo Fighters track. Still glad you enjoyed some of the tracks.

As for my Secret Santa I'll guess at [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]? Otherwise I don't have a clue.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It was indeed me Staly, great review. As I read the first half and saw your opinions on a few tracks I just knew what would be coming for the Foo Fighters track. Still glad you enjoyed some of the tracks.

As for my Secret Santa I'll guess at [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]? Otherwise I don't have a clue.

Not me I'm afraid. Apart from Steely Dan & T.Rex I've never heard of the artists on there.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have guessed three times and been wrong. I honestly have not got a clue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here