Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Programmes (Printed) under threat of being discontinued

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
at least in the football league

The traditional matchday programme could disappear with the Football League voting on whether its production should continue to be compulsory.

It is a commercial obligation of all 72 Football League teams to have a printed programme for every home game. But declining sales and increased costs have become a burden for some clubs and at their June meeting they will vote on whether it should continue to be a requirement next season.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...at-falling-sales-social-media-football-league

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All well and good but why is it that virtually all football grounds are black holes when it comes to WiFi and 4G coverage so that it is next to impossible to read anything on social media.

A far better reminder of the game than a half n half scarf

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Who buys programmes these days? All the content is on line now and far more up to date. I did buy them back in the Goldstone years, but have to agree that I think they are pretty pointless now.

el punal

Who buys programmes these days? All the content is on line now and far more up to date. I did buy them back in the Goldstone years, but have to agree that I think they are pretty pointless now.

One man’s meat, another man’s poison and all that. Programmes are important to those who like to keep a souvenir of a match, and to be honest, they are nice to refer back to in years to come.

I suppose the same argument could apply as to whether you should wear a replica shirt or not at matches. It doesn’t mean you’re any less loyal or passionate if you don’t.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Tend to agree, I think there is a place for them (same as there is for printed newspapers), but approaching the third decade of the 21st century it shouldn't be compulsory for clubs to produce them. However I expect to see howls of protest about how this is another assault on our glorious traditions by the Tories or the PC brigade (depending on your political bias).

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
They're just overpriced glossy magazines now. The old Albion ones (60s etc) used to include the actual team, which you could amend if there were any changes (which was usually unlikely) and spaces to write in the half time scores. You used to be able to recognise the club instantly from the programme cover. Not so today.

I went to Barcelona and Espanyol games last season and was surprised to see that they don't have programmes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I always still buy a programme at football, even if these days sometimes I barely read it. It's just a football tradition I can't shake off going back to being a kid - Walking up from Falmer station these days and not stopping to buy one wouldn't quite feel right otherwise. Times change obviously, but I'd be sad to see them go.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Pointless?

You might as well say who goes to football these days, far more content available on line and/or on TV, and far more interactive via social media with all the other fans on line.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They're just overpriced glossy magazines now. The old Albion ones (60s etc) used to include the actual team, which you could amend if there were any changes (which was usually unlikely) and spaces to write in the half time scores. You used to be able to recognise the club instantly from the programme cover. Not so today.

I went to Barcelona and Espanyol games last season and was surprised to see that they don't have programmes.

You wrote on your programmes - heathen!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They're just overpriced glossy magazines now.

Agreed on that. I'd happy buy a simple programme for, say, £2. Don't want/need anything more.

The old Albion ones (60s etc) used to include the actual team, which you could amend if there were any changes (which was usually unlikely) and spaces to write in the half time scores.

In fairness, subs weren't introduced until 1965, let alone the idea of squads and rotation!

You used to be able to recognise the club instantly from the programme cover. Not so today.

When I first started going in the late 70s, the covers had the same pics every week. I wouldn't say that was a good thing, mind...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I always use to buy a programme but haven't done so for about five years now, I see the £3 saving as a discount towards my pint and a sausage roll.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
When I was a kid I LOVED buying programmes. Nowadays I rarely bother unless it's a big game or I'm there really early and have time to kill. When my daughter is old enough to come to football I will enjoy taking her to the game and buying her a programme which she will hopefully enjoy reading.

I don't think this vote would mean the end of them right? As far as I can see it will just mean that the smaller clubs who are struggling for cash not having the burden of paying the expensive costs to produce a programme which is likely not to sell out and make it's money back.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
When I was a kid I LOVED buying programmes. Nowadays I rarely bother unless it's a big game or I'm there really early and have time to kill. When my daughter is old enough to come to football I will enjoy taking her to the game and buying her a programme which she will hopefully enjoy reading.

I don't think this vote would mean the end of them right? As far as I can see it will just mean that the smaller clubs who are struggling for cash not having the burden of paying the expensive costs to produce a programme which is likely not to sell out and make it's money back.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

But you have to wonder what the programme financials mean for PL clubs and will they follow if FL clubs nod this through. Are PL programme producing/printing/selling etc at least breaking even?

Does anyone remember the PDF programmes that BHAFC were pushing? I guess that trial was a failure as it didn't seem to be around long.

I

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Im not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand I stopped buying programmes a while ago but on the odd occasion when I pick one up I really enjoy it.

As already mentioned, the old ones are a treasure trove of information & when I'm researching someone that played for us before the internet existed, Uncle Hineys fantastic website http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/ is an absolute godsend.

At the end of the day they are a historical document, a snap shot in time and something for future generations to look back on.

Its always the adverts that get me

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Agreed on that. I'd happy buy a simple programme for, say, £2. Don't want/need anything more

In fairness, subs weren't introduced until 1965, let alone the idea of squads and rotation

When I first started going in the late 70s, the covers had the same pics every week. I wouldn't say that was a good thing, mind...

Yup! Much prefer to have a small, simple document for £2. Loved those pocket sized efforts in the 60’s and 70’s.
West Ham and Palace particularly.

theboybilly

I'm going to buy the programme tomorrow night - not because it's United - but because it's the final home game and the vast majority of the statistics from the season will be in it. I used to be an avid collector of football programmes but my collection has long since disappeared through various house moves etc. I had some real good 'uns too. :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here