NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

:facepalm: :ohmy:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Agree with all this. One of the ironies of all this is that, if the reason that young (and not just young) women feel the need to do all this is to impress men, it seems to me, on the basis of quite a number of blokes I know, that it's self-defeating. A lot of men prefer a more natural look in women.
Of course there could be other reasons... what though? to impress each other? Because they really think, on looking in the mirror that it looks better? Hard to understand.

I am not sure. I have never had anyone advise me that I should start wearing makeup, I think if I did start wearing it I would feel self conscious. I think it can only be that they think this is what they should do. When they are young it is to look older, when they are older it is to look younger. The pressure that young girls put themselves under is scary, most of the time the pressure comes from their peers as much as anything else. It takes a strong girl to go her own way. I am very lucky my daughter is a very keen cyclist and races at a high standard, the people she looks up to are Laura Trott, Victoria Pendleton and Nicole Cooke. Not bad role models.

Last edited:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I'd rather a girl wore make-up and kept herself healthy than plastered herself with make-up and was overweight and lazy.

The same goes for my feelings about how men look after themselves too, but only recently are men really starting to feel the pressure of media portrayal of 'perfection' in physicality. Hence the increase in male bulimia, steroid abuse and depression.

We should sympathise with people who feel compelled to look the way popular culture insists, and fight the culture - not the victims.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But why do do they wear it all the time? Especially if, as you say, that when they apply it well, it looks natural. If the only good make-up looks as if you aren't wearing any, why not just cut out the middle man and not wear any??

Because when they don't wear it, they don't look quite as nice.

Nothing wrong with making an effort and having some pride in your appearance. With women, this often means putting a bit of slap on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Society is becoming increasingly superficial, materialistic, promiscuous & idiotic.

These symptoms are all inevitable results of unfettered capitalism. People have become nothing more than consumers anymore. Amongst the most important things to young people these days are sex and consumer items, because it is drilled into them from a very young age it is important, hence young girls with loads of make up.

I think you've over analysed it. People have always wanted to look attractive; it's bugger all to do with society, media or capitalism. It's inherent, and it's natures drive for us to find a mate and reproduce.

Sometimes we make mistakes: girls over apply the make-up; boys wear too much wet look hair gel.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Prefer make up . Natural beauties are few and far between. Can't say the painter eye brow look is great though

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Prefer make up . Natural beauties are few and far between. Can't say the painter eye brow look is great though

What is it with girls these days drawing their own eyebrows on? Hilarious, they look fecking ridiculous. :facepalm: :laugh:

WOMEN! Would you swoon for a bloke with a drawn on moustache? I don't think so.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Could it be something to do with the massive industry that's built up around flogging this stuff to them, and convincing them that they need it? Just a thought.

If you go into somewhere like Boots in North Street, you have to walk past counter after counter of make up franchises staffed by ugly young women with orange cake on their face and fake eyelashes, in order to get to the normal stuff that Boots used to sell.

Presumably someone (or even a lot of people) buys this stuff. I agree, however, that it's very odd that many young women feel that they can't apparently leave the house without these chemicals on their faces and hair or they won't look attractive. And the irony of it is, that they look less attractive than if they just washed their face and brushed their hair.

Yep. They only put those counters in Boots last year. Whatever happened to the Pumice Stone stands and the Talc concessions??

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Have to agree. I think that a lot of blokes saying they prefer the 'natural' look don't realise that nearly all adult women wear make up nearly all of the time. It seems to be a bit of a knack - something you'd learn over a few years - to apply the right amount to give them a bit of a healthy glow without it being noticeable (to blokes) that they've got any on.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
So many young women today do seem to be slaves to fashion, more than ever before, due to the media, and programmes like TOWIE.

I also think too many of them choose utterly moronic, trashy, role models: Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Katie 'Jordan' Price, etc.

I often think that some young women would wear a dog turd on a chain round their necks if it had a designer name or logo embossed on, or they'd seen one of the above 'slebs' wearing one in Hello magazine!

Incidentally, why do 99% of women under 30 walk round clutching their (Barbie-pink) mobile phones all the time (blokes don't generally have their phones in their hand every second of the day; I keep mine in my pocket) - are they really expecting vitally urgent calls and texts 24/7 which require an instant response, or is merely being seen with a shiny mobile in their hand itself part of being 'cool'; another kind of silly fashion statement?

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
You should try living in Essex mate. The war paint the Sheila's slap on up here is OUTRAGEOUS. I went to "talk of the south" in Southend recently...it was about 100 degrees in there and the birds looked like melting candles. Ugly scenes.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
All about moderation surely, a little bit of make up really can make a female look a lot prettier (mascara making the eyes look bigger and more open for example) but yes, many go too far.

I agree with the drawn on eyebrow thing, know loads of girls that do it and I have yet to meet one single male that thinks it looks anything other than ridiculous, I know females dont dress to just impress males but I think the feelings on the drawn on eyebrows is fairly universal.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Blimey what a refreshing thread. I will come clean and confess my woman hood. I have never worn make up, never felt then need. But I also have freinds who will not leave the house "without their face on". I feel for them, they are that insecure. The problem is that womans magazines and the perfect people they print are lies and give woman unacheivable standards that they can't ever meet. I will not have these mags in my house. I try to explain to my soon teenage daughter that magazines sell lies and the images are not real.

You can keep yourself fit, have nice hair and look after your self without the need for make up.

That is great, very attractive when a female is confident in her own natural beauty. I have always thought that a female who wears no make up, hair tied back in casual dress looks far more attractive that the dolled up look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here