Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Man United HEADING for the WILDERNESS ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
United are in a similar position to that which confronted them when Matt Busby packed up. He created a dynasty, similar to Fergie. They were both massively influential, charasmatic and basically impossible to follow. In the early seventies, they went into steady decline as top stars like Charlton, Law and Best wound down their careers and the back up wasn't good enough. Eventually, the wheels came off completely and they got relegated.
I'm not suggesting that anything like that is going to happen now but there are parallels. With the Glaziers drawing out £700 million already to service the massive debt they created and further massive withdrawals likely, United will not be in a financial position to secure the ' galactico ' signings needed to re-establish their former pre-eminent position. Sure they will find the £15-20 million for certain signings but they won't be able to compete with the other big hitters around them. Lack of Champions league football for more than one season would be disastrous and again, would harm their ability to attract big signings.
I think they've got a massive job trying to make the top four let alone challenge the top and LVG will be under intense pressure. If the opening game is anything to go by, they have a long hard season ahead.
Failure to make the Champions League again could have far reaching effects.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No I don't think they are finished, It was a shock to see lose to Swansea, but over the course of the season I am sure they will Run Arsenal and Liverpool close for 4th.

Who have you got in third then?

Sadly you have no knowledge of football.

Excellent contribution.

So who do you think will under perform to let Man U in ? Can't see Chelsea or Man City, Arsenal bought better than Man U, Liverpool got more strength, it will take a lot to see Man U in the top 3 this season, top 4 is best they can aim for

Not so much underperform. I think United will strengthen before the end of the month, and probably again in January, and that LVG will prove a good appointment. I think it will be very close between them, Arsenal and Liverpool for third, with Man City and Chelsea well clear at the top.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
LVG will be under intense pressure. If the opening game is anything to go by, they have a long hard season ahead.

The longer he insists on three at the back the better

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, they are the new Liverpool. they are far too big with enough prestige to attract top talent... just not the very top. if you look objectively they haven't got the very best for a while, being out done on wages, probably ever since Ronaldo left.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not so much underperform. I think United will strengthen before the end of the month, and probably again in January, and that LVG will prove a good appointment. I think it will be very close between them, Arsenal and Liverpool for third, with Man City and Chelsea well clear at the top.

That is the question, if Man U splash £100/150million on the players they need then Van Gaal is the perfect fit to knit it together but if they are playing the likes of Jesse Lingard in September then they will need miracles and January may be too late, it makes it very interesting for the neutral to watch as I think a second season out of the CL would be calamitous

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Paul Scholes who seems to have become one of the best of the new pundits reckons Man United are FINNISH and heading for football's wilderness and a life without Champions League football.

Whatever people think about the strength of English football it goes to show how certain owners can RUIN a club and Fergie papered over the cracks, Moyes couldn't and Van Gaal has a MASSIVE job to LIFT them back into the top 4.

It's like Liverpool 20 years ago, knocked off their perch by Man U and now they have had the same to done to them. I doubt anyone other than Man U fans will be SAD and the Glazers sure to cop some flak if things carry on deteriorating.

Scholes writing for the Indie is awful. I feel like I know less about everything(not just football) after reading it. Today they needed to sign 5 players: Di Maria, Alonso, Khedira, Varane and Hummels.
So basically try and persuade Real to sell him their sub's bench

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The older NSC'ers on here will remember when Manure were relegated from the old 1st division. That was a bit of shock to football at the time.

I would love it, just love it, if it happened again.
And ended up at the little ol' Goldstone....and David Beckham made his debut...OK Poetic licence and all that.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
still a good team
BUT there are 6 other good teams
2 with loads of money and an international second 12
man city and Chelsea
3 with great managers
Liverpool Everton and spurs
and arsenal with a great manger now splashing the cash
as ever it's not just in there / our hands
a fierce competition
no easy games