Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Statment - how does this affect club?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
So... who are they?

Peter Godfrey -Property developer - http://www.godfreyinv.com/

Adam Franks - Various roles for various companies - http://companycheck.co.uk/director/911214989

Robert Comer - Something to do with accountancies - http://www.cciaccountants.com/the_team/index.htm

Mark Sugarman - Something to do with Lizards, but he is a genuine Brightonian which is nice. https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/director/3917610/marc-sugarman
I think you have the wrong Peter Godfrey? I thought he was ex amex executive?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Sugarmans are family friends, they're life long brighton fans, along with good friends of the blooms and most of all very wealthy so I can see some more investment coming in.

Certainly not much of an initial investment though. I wouldn't mind buying £1k worth of shares just so as I could get some free teas and sandwiches a few times a year.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've heard that due to this extra investment, although there will be no further player signings, the price of a pie will be reduced by 20p for the month of August.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If in the end it brings extra backing into the club then I'm all for it. Maybe positioning themselves for when FFP goes belly up

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bob Comer used to start his Withdean matchday in the boardroom but always made his way to sit amongst the fans in the South Stand getting wet like the rest of us.
I've no doubt he's a genuine top notch fan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Godfrey has been involved early on in Blooms chairman role. Was heavily involved with Amex, then retired and got involved with the Albion and helped with some community bits.

Some ex-Amex employees will have stories I am sure [emoji102]

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Having been a director of a SME, it was a requirement that all directors had to also be shareholders for a set minimum amount. This is quite a common requirement in private companies.

I doubt this is of any real significance and NSC does not need to get excited.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Having been a director of a SME, it was a requirement that all directors had to also be shareholders for a set minimum amount. This is quite a common requirement in private companies.

I doubt this is of any real significance and NSC does not need to get excited.

Is it really???? New one on me

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
There are a whole bunch of reasons to price shares at any given value.

Any share purchase has an effect on the value of a business and this can have all kinds of other implications.

If you are interested in this kind of thing there is one great scheme that I've had some insight of for the last couple of years. The government Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) scheme.

Basically if you invest in a small business that meets the rules, by buying shares and keeping your money in the company for at least a couple of years (i might be a bit out on the timescale but not too far). You can then claim tax relief on your normal income.

In gaining this tax relief you basically recoup your investment over time. Then if the company doesn't work out you've not really lost much, but if it succeeds you could end up on the board of BHAFC due to your new found wealth!

It was designed to encourage individuals to invest in small businesses when the banks wouldn't and I have to say its one government initiative I really do believe in.

Sure, it means that wealthy people can reduce their risk and increase their chances of getting even richer. But it also helps small business, which is the heart of our economy and provide the majority of jobs.

Out of interest, I was seeking investment rather than investing. Hopefully one day I'll be on the other end!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I seem to remember that in taking shares, albeit at nominal value, you also take on the risk associated, pro-rata, if the business goes tits up ??? I would imagine it is a bit of that, as in spreading out the liability in the hopefully unlikely event of the 'business' eg BHA coming a cropper. On the other side of the coin, if things go well, divvies can be GOOD :wink:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Same person, also same one that had the club over a barrel on naming rights, funny how things turn out.....

Former midland bank senior manager. I worked with him then. An 'interesting' individual

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I seem to remember that in taking shares, albeit at nominal value, you also take on the risk associated, pro-rata, if the business goes tits up ??? I would imagine it is a bit of that, as in spreading out the liability in the hopefully unlikely event of the 'business' eg BHA coming a cropper. On the other side of the coin, if things go well, divvies can be GOOD :wink:

In this particular case, 5,000 shares gives you as good as nothing in both cases.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 22.26.42.png

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

You risk your investment, other than that if you have guaranteed anything I would have thought your liability would end there. On the other hand if your a director and things go wrong you may be at risk depending on if/what actions you took prior to it happening. IMHO

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Certainly not much of an initial investment though. I wouldn't mind buying £1k worth of shares just so as I could get some free teas and sandwiches a few times a year.

Wow u must be loaded, I will deliver u teas and sandwiches and beer a few times a year for 1k. U won't even need to leave the house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here