Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone miss Bridders? ... i don't

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Been done to death .

Done to death! Done to death! You do realise that this is North Stand Chat I hope, the place where Glenn Murray, Little Liam Bridcutt, Gus Poyet, Ashley Barnes, Bobby Zamora, Poogate, Elliott Bennett et al must be debated ad finitum until time eternal in order to fill slots until the next World's Hardest Creature thread can start all over again? (My money's on the little known Bumblecuntus this year - a Bolivian hedge-lingering bee that only comes out of its cocoon every 27 years on a misty Friday afternoon in downtown La Paz, but when it does it's as hard as nails. You don't want a sting from that little sausage, trust me).

As for Liam Bridcutt, you'll have to forgive me, I temporarily lost focus talking about the Bumblecuntus and forgot what this thread was about. (sorry).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Tough one. Bridcutt and Ince couldn't be MORE different, and (this needs to be stressed) INCE ISN'T A REPLACEMENT FOR BRIDCUTT

I think he is. The job that Bridcutt did in Gus' side is different to the one Oscar needs doing in that position in his side, and Ince is more suited to doing it. So although they are very different players, the position is now filled by Ince, so therefore he is Bridcutt's replacement.

I miss what he brought to our team and it is something that Ince (despite the huge potential) hasn't QUITE got the grip of yet. Stability.

Ince is like a footballer created by a computer. He has been given the height, the pace, the strength, the jumping. He just hasn't QUITE got it all together in one flowing motion.

His potential is HUGE. But am I completely at ease when he's on the ball? Not yet. This will come with more games.

Bridcutt however was just 7 out of 10 every week. The epitome of what we needed in that central area. Control, look up, pass. Control, look up, pass.

Ince is BRILLIANT to watch but he can be a little control, look up pass. Miscontrol, stepover, win the ball back, pass.

Ince and Bridcutt TOGETHER would be GLORIOUS. Lovely balance.

Not on a see-saw it wouldn't

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he is. The job that Bridcutt did in Gus' side is different to the one Oscar needs doing in that position in his side, and Ince is more suited to doing it. So although they are very different players, the position is now filled by Ince, so therefore he is Bridcutt's replacement.

I think long term Ince will have to play further forward. To be the midfield anchor you have to be CALM, NEAT and COMPOSED. I would say those are Rohan's biggest weak spots. When Andrews is fi the plays the Bridcutt role, Ince plays there because we have no other options. He should be the next CM forward, the Yaya box to box type. He suits that perfectly.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think we miss him that much at all. To me, he was never really an Oscar player. Our primary 'defensive midfielders this season have been Andrews and Ince, although they haven't been prolific, they have both scored and both look threatening with a good shot. Bridders, although brilliant defensively never really posed a threat going forward at all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would prefer he was still with us, but the fee was decent, the team doesn't seem significantly weaker, and he wanted out so the move was best for all I think.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think long term Ince will have to play further forward. To be the midfield anchor you have to be CALM, NEAT and COMPOSED. I would say those are Rohan's biggest weak spots. When Andrews is fi the plays the Bridcutt role, Ince plays there because we have no other options. He should be the next CM forward, the Yaya box to box type. He suits that perfectly.

He is only young though, I'm sure he'll get calmer, neater and more composed as he gets older. Which is actually a shame, as he's more fun to watch with his clumsy unpredictableness. I get what you're saying though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I don't get this YaYa thing at all he's much more of a Patrick Viera defensive midfielder.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, they play totally different roles in midfield. And Oscar has kept the role of deep lying midfielder that Gus imprinted on the team. Ince scored against a League 1 team for sure but then so did Bridders somewhat more famously?

You have a point re Crofts I guess. However please give Ince the three seasons Liam had before comparing their goalscoring records. I think Ince will SMASH Bridcutt's scoring record, although he may struggle to score a "stuff of dreams, stuff of Champions goal" I guess if you are only going to score one goal that'd be the one to score though :smile:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Oscar has kept the role of deep lying midfielder that Gus imprinted on the team.

But the main difference being that we have more flexibility in midfield so we don't designate one player to stay there like we did with Bridcutt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't get this YaYa thing at all he's much more of a Patrick Viera defensive midfielder.

Can't agree. He's clumsy but very powerful with pace and a great shot. Like Yaya. Vieira had a great range of passing and was much neater than Ince.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Can't agree. He's clumsy but very powerful with pace and a great shot. Like Yaya. Vieira had a great range of passing and was much neater than Ince.

But he hasn't got the attacking instinct to be a YaYa as shows when he gets near the opposition box, He's definitely got the defensive instinct to be a Viera midfield destroyer.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ince is terrific.

It always amazes me how Andrews has played in the prem. I can't think of one facet of his game which is top drawer. Bridcutt for example has exceptional positional sense and discipline and is brilliant at keeping things simple with short precise passing. I would also say his tackling is of a very high standard.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
After a storming debut at Sunderland Liam looks like he spends a lot of time isolated and standing slack jawed as he watches his net bulging yet again. If we fail to go up we will be seeing Liam at the Amex again soon methinks. Just driving a nicer car.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we as a club are missing his play but grateful for the fee we received. Ince is not in the same street as Bridcutt yet although he may be one day when he stops falling over and losing the ball. Having said that Ince is doing well but with reservations.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Our transition into a 'Liam-less team', has been remarkable in my opinion. With the emergence of Incy, and with Keith Andrews also being able to do the defensive midfield job once carried out by Liam Bridcutt I don't feel that we have really missed him at all.

Other views welcome.

Have to say I agree, also think that he might go backwards for a while if Sunderland start to struggle. Ince is a ready made replacement who if he carries on the way he has will be worth a lot more

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I guess a lot depends on how you interpret the word 'miss'.

I'm not sure the current team misses him as it has been developed by OG since the beginning of the season pretty much without him being available.

I miss the displays of skill he showed when he did play, skills that earned him 'BHAFC Playerof the Year' on two occasions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here