Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG on his way then....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Regardless of whether he stays or goes, and if he/his family are unhappy down here, you can't help but admire his professionalism, if he is someone that is 'unhappy' for whatever reason and still puts in a shift like that he deserves massive respect, plenty of players sulk and attempt to force a move but he's acted with real professionalism unlike a few other players here in recent years.

I'd be disappointed if he left now but if his family are unhappy, he really must do what is right for them, from his interview on the radio after I thought he didn't sound like a player who was planning on leaving(made comments about consolidating this season and pushing on next season) but you can't tell I suppose that could be smoke and mirrors. Good luck to him whatever happens, deserves respect for the way he's conducted himself.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Regardless of whether he stays or goes, and if he/his family are unhappy down here, you can't help but admire his professionalism, if he is someone that is 'unhappy' for whatever reason and still puts in a shift like that he deserves massive respect, plenty of players sulk and attempt to force a move but he's acted with real professionalism unlike a few other players here in recent years.

I'd be disappointed if he left now but if his family are unhappy, he really must do what is right for them, from his interview on the radio after I thought he didn't sound like a player who was planning on leaving(made comments about consolidating this season and pushing on next season) but you can't tell I suppose that could be smoke and mirrors. Good luck to him whatever happens, deserves respect for the way he's conducted himself.

Spot on. I think that CH's interview was more telling, was a bit subdued with praise for the MOTM and his eyes changed when challenged....worrying.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Regardless of previous posters (or future ones) I'd like to take this opportunity to say how proud I was of COG and the team today, after Walcott scored in what seemed like the first second of play, I am sure I was not alone in expecting a massive drubbing for the Albion.
They (unlike earlier this season) did not let their heads go down, they stood up and got on with the job, how many of us, in all honesty would have expected to lose by one goal, and, in my opinion, to be the more attacking team in the last 15 minutes.
I don't know how many teams have put 2 goals past Arsenal this season and to be honest, I dont care, all I know is we did, Brighton and Hove Albion, 19th in the Championship, my team!
I live up in Liverpool (works a bugger and they have no consideration for your allegiances), and I wasn't able to get to the game, so I watched the game as did many, in the pub, with my mates. Bearing in mind the last time we played Liverpool, you can imagine the ribbing I was getting, especially after 2 minutes. At the final whistle, I was being congratulated on the performance, considering I wasn't playing, i was pleased as punch. To those I was with, COG and Ince were the stand out players, although Caldy did raise the question, is the smile tattooed on?, would he have got more decisions if he looked upset about the tackles against him.
They couldn't believe the position we are in, we play far better than a team supposedly battling against relegation, and, the main point as made to me, if we had played the first half, as we did the second, we could well have won the match.
Call me delusional, I am a Brighton supporter after all, but given today's performance, WE are capable of moving forward with the current squad, and we are capable of holding our own in the premier league. Whether or not we can reach the promised land is another question.
For me, COG could become a pivotal part of the team, as was stated before, his hold up play is second to none, I for one would be far more interested in signing someone to play alongside him, rather than sign someone instead of him.
If your interested, I was never one calling for COG to be sold, I was of the opinion he was never given the chance under SH, as such, I tend to only formulate an opinion over several games, and so far, COG, seems to be a pretty good buy! Letting him go would be the wrong decision IMHO???

Superb post.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Gutted if COG does go, our only true centre forward.
John Stead had a great game for Bradford against Chelsea and would love him here but think we'll get priced out. I know he didn't quite cut at it in the Premiership but would still be a great asset here

P.S just noticed hes on loan from Huddersfield. Doubt they'll sell him to us

jblaze

Oct 17, 2013
First time poster, long time meticulous reader..... All I can say is COG's cult status in the North Stand, although originally tongue in cheek ( Ogrady scores I'm on the pitch etc), is not unsubstantiated. The guy is an unbelievable legend. I defy anyone who can watch this interview and not love the guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExJtjxdRtc0&feature=youtu.be As much as I was one of his biggest detractors in the beginning, he is just impossible not to like. The fact that all of the dialogue surrounding his possible move is based around how his family are settled etc supports this. A normal, down to earth guy I can relate to. Please stay Chris.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think you're taking an NSC minority, and trying to turn it into something bigger than it was. Sure some people didn't like him, I don't remember it being a tide of opinion compared to everything else that was going on.

Nothing new there then!

The COG debate has been running a while and there were plenty of us on here that saw the potential and were wanting to give him a chance long before the Fulham game

But if I want to point a finger at the collective stupidity of a large majority of NSC posters then I would conveniently ignore things like that.

Can't be right all of the time, although some appear to think they are more right than most!

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
Why did we agree a fee before Hughton had a real look at him? A 300k loss in 6 months on the player who is currently our best striker. Absolute disgrace.

yep ...more piss poor business from who ever it is who keeps doing piss poor business......the list appears to go on and on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing new there then!

The COG debate has been running a while and there were plenty of us on here that saw the potential and were wanting to give him a chance long before the Fulham game

But if I want to point a finger at the collective stupidity of a large majority of NSC posters then I would conveniently ignore things like that.

Can't be right all of the time, although some appear to think they are more right than most!
I do have to own the fact that hypocrisy and lying in all it's forms really really pi$$ me off.
My kids (for their own reasons) couldn't give an honest reply if their lives depended on it, so therefore I'm very attuned into it, easily and frequently annoyed by it, even on something as trivial as here.

We all know CoG WAS getting dogs abuse, just a few weeks ago, and even then it was only a few weeks into his contract.
Blimey his signing probably got some backs up.

All I'm saying (less tired) is it would be nice, if those who have loved his recent performances started with "blimey I was loud wrong about Big Chris".

Just simply owning the fact, it won't hurt, nothing is going to change, but it might just take the edge off future threads slamming all and sundry before during and moments after signings/games.

Granted this place would be dullsville if we were all 'grey' but the black and white opposites don't have to be ratcheted up to 11 all the time.

I ought to try and just laugh about it on here, and left it at my opening comment 'This thread is so so soooo funny' .
I will try and do that in future.

Oh and for the record I was broadly in favour of a different option up front.
Anticipating Chris coming on to see the game out, once our fleet footed nimble strikers had done the business, and put us 2-0 up :facepalm:

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
S
I do have to own the fact that hypocrisy and lying in all it's forms really really pi$$ me off.
My kids (for their own reasons) couldn't give an honest reply if their lives depended on it, so therefore I'm very attuned into it, easily and frequently annoyed by it, even on something as trivial as here.

We all know CoG WAS getting dogs abuse, just a few weeks ago, and even then it was only a few weeks into his contract.
Blimey his signing probably got some backs up.

All I'm saying (less tired) is it would be nice, if those who have loved his recent performances started with "blimey I was loud wrong about Big Chris".

Just simply owning the fact, it won't hurt, nothing is going to change, but it might just take the edge off future threads slamming all and sundry before during and moments after signings/games.

Granted this place would be dullsville if we were all 'grey' but the black and white opposites don't have to be ratcheted up to 11 all the time.

I ought to try and just laugh about it on here, and left it at my opening comment 'This thread is so so soooo funny' .
I will try and do that in future.

Oh and for the record I was broadly in favour of a different option up front.
Anticipating Chris coming on to see the game out, once our fleet footed nimble strikers had done the business, and put us 2-0 up :facepalm:

I didn't realise it got to you but it helps to have a better understanding

You are right that many had written him off before he had even kicked a ball and even now some are still saying he's not good enough. I don't see it as a large swathe just a very vocal and largely instantly recognisable few. I think there are a majority that have always been ready to give him a chance but simply don't want to engage in 'argument' with the bully brigade and those in the herd. I keep my head down on some things but not COG, where I have argued right from the off (even when he got a run out under SH) that he had something.

I pick my battles and I do agree that it would be good if everyone held their hands up when they were proven wrong. Many do I think, but some never will, the sort that will wait for COG to have a couple of off games before gleefully starting a thread saying how right they were

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure story has changed at all and OP only quoting what everyone knows and is in public domain...

There's agreement with Sheffield United, "to recoup the original fee - 500K" (Argus) not "200K" but its only dependent on us getting a striker in addition to Best. And Hughton keeps saying nice things about him and that he "hopes" he'll stay.

Warren Aspinall also said the same during his commentary yesterday on Radio Sussex and the Argus says same today... the move to Sheffield will only happen "unless another striker is in place to accompany the loan capture of Leon Best from Blackburn Rovers for the rest of the season before the window shuts on February 2."

Hughton quotes on Thursday
"Yes, there is an interest from Sheffield United, yes they would like to take him. But he is very much our player at the moment, so unless anything dramatically changes he is still our player."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11740328.O_Grady_could_have_a_future_at_Albion/

Hughton after match yesterday and quoted in Argus this morning.
“I hope [he will stay]. I think most people are aware there is interest in him, but this is a player that came here and had a difficult time, went away on loan and has been excellent for us since he came back.
“I must admit I’m still getting to know him. I knew him from his time at Barnsley, I don’t know him as much from his time here.
“He certainly couldn’t have done any more than he has in the last two games. He is no different to any other player, you want to be playing and involved, and if you are you are generally happier. At the moment I think he’s in a nice place.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11748513.Hughton_hoping_O_Grady_will_stay_with_Albion/

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I don't think he's rubbish
I also don't think he's a legend
He's a decent hard working footballer who (like many others) was badly served during Hyypia's tenure. He wasn't match fit because he wasn't getting game time
Immediately he came back to the Albion he showed he was a good player BECAUSE he was fit.
The trouble is that some people on here think we have a God given right to sign the Ronaldos, Messis and Diego Costas of this world - we don't, we are Brighton and Hove Albion and are cutting our coat according to our cloth.
Having seen the effort that he can put in I, for one, will be upset if he goes because he offers us a difference

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure story has changed at all and OP only quoting what everyone knows and is in public domain...

There's agreement with Sheffield United, "to recoup the original fee - 500K" (Argus) not "200K" but its only dependent on us getting a striker in addition to Best. And Hughton keeps saying nice things about him and that he "hopes" he'll stay.

Warren Aspinall also said the same during his commentary yesterday on Radio Sussex and the Argus says same today... the move to Sheffield will only happen "unless another striker is in place to accompany the loan capture of Leon Best from Blackburn Rovers for the rest of the season before the window shuts on February 2."

"Yes, there is an interest from Sheffield United, yes they would like to take him. But he is very much our player at the moment, so unless anything dramatically changes he is still our player."

“I hope [he will stay]. I think most people are aware there is interest in him, but this is a player that came here and had a difficult time, went away on loan and has been excellent for us since he came back.
“I must admit I’m still getting to know him. I knew him from his time at Barnsley, I don’t know him as much from his time here.
“He certainly couldn’t have done any more than he has in the last two games. He is no different to any other player, you want to be playing and involved, and if you are you are generally happier. At the moment I think he’s in a nice place.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11748513.Hughton_hoping_O_Grady_will_stay_with_Albion/

Good stuff, thanks for posting that.

What I found interesting from his after match interview was that he was spending the rest of his birthday with his kids. So unless he drives extremely fast, his kids go to bed very late, he commutes via helicopter or he has a teleporter, it would suggest to me that his family is still down south.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington

Excellent post based on FACT

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He isn't going until he has a photo with the Blades shirt. Deals can fall apart for any number of reasons. Just look back at Stephen Ward or Grabban, both of whom came to the Amex to sign.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All I'll say is that I finally have faith that he will only go IF we have a better player lined up (and I'm not at all convinced Best is that player).

And [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] makes an excellent point. When we have been led to believe we are on the verge of signing quality players in the past, it has been proved wrong. No reason why this could be any different, except the other way round.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I was underwhelmed by COG's signing, and by his early performances, though I don't think I came on here to say so.

It's been great to see what he's capable of, his confidence is high, and he seems like an honest bloke and a good pro. I hope he stays and keeps his form, leading the line for the rest of the season.

None of us can see into the future and even top coaches misjudge players. I though Ryan Harley looked great the first few times he played for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the sort that will wait for COG to have a couple of off games before gleefully starting a thread saying how right they were
Oh don't say that, for Christ's sake.
No prizes for guessing how I react to that, at least I've given up locking horns of NSC's number 1 exponent of:-
'silence, silence, silence, shout, shout, shout, silence'.
Strangely enough he's not be posting much recently.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oh don't say that, for Christ's sake.
No prizes for guessing how I react to that, at least I've given up locking horns of NSC's number 1 exponent of:-
'silence, silence, silence, shout, shout, shout, silence'.
Strangely enough he's not be posting much recently.
I'm trying to guess who that might be; there are a number of NSC posters that could fit that description? Is it KtR?

For what it's worth, there were a few of us who thought that COG looked very useful in that 3-0 against Burton. Was that his last competitive appearance before going on loan?

Edit: found the thread - check out my hold up attacker spotting skills (credit also to [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16593]Ralphingtonpuss[/MENTION]):

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?309677-BURTON-player-ratings&highlight=Burton%20player%20ratings

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here