Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions 10/11 - where are they now?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The thread about Murray/Wood/Barnes reminded me to post this. Always interesting to see where players end up a few years down the line...

These were the ones who featured regularly for us that season:

Ankergren - still with us
Brez - still with us

Painter - L2 Pompey
Calderon - still with us
Greer - still with us
Elphick - Championship Bournemouth
El Abd - L1 Bristol City

Bridcutt - PL Sunderland
Kish - retired
Dicker - L1 Crawley
Sparrow - L2 Scunthorpe

Bennett - PL Norwich
Noone - PL Cardiff
Lua Lua - still with us

Murray - PL Palace
Wood - Championship Leicester
Barnes - Championship Burnley

So 4 of that side have gone onto play Premier League football with another 2 on the way (admittedly 2 dropping out). Just shows how good that team was for League One, especially from an attacking perspective; all of those were playing below their level, although they may well have needed a season like that in League One to help fulfil their potential. Gus was fantastic for us that year and should take credit for helping to develop those players and building a prolific system, but it does contextualise what a great set of individuals he had. We were pretty fortunate with injuries that year as well, particularly when you compare it to this season; the only long-term absence was Navarro. This year we’ve barely seen CMS, Olrandi and Hoskins, only had Crofts for half a season, Buckley the same. Guess it reinforces that luck can play a big part in football on that front.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I was discussing something similar with my son who is a Saints fan about Southampton... the team we beat to the title in League 1 had Fonte, Schneiderlin, Lambert and Lallana who regularly play in the Premier League and 2 of which will probably end up playing in the World Cup this year... It's bizarre how these things work out...

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I was discussing something similar with my son who is a Saints fan about Southampton... the team we beat to the title in League 1 had Fonte, Schneiderlin, Lambert and Lallana who regularly play in the Premier League and 2 of which will probably end up playing in the World Cup this year... It's bizarre how these things work out...

My favourite quote from Gus at the end of the year was 'it is is PLAYERS that win you MATCHES, but TEAMS that win you CHAMPIONSHIPS'. Although individually they had some class players better than ours, we played better as a team that year. Was a great season, loved it. I'm just glad we managed to 'keep up' with Adkins!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=24825]coagulantwolf[/MENTION] is the best username I've seen on here, since [MENTION=28958]MantisShrimpMan4eva[/MENTION]. Nice work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were pretty fortunate with injuries that year as well, particularly when you compare it to this season; the only long-term absence was Navarro. This year we’ve barely seen CMS, Olrandi and Hoskins, only had Crofts for half a season, Buckley the same. Guess it reinforces that luck can play a big part in football on that front.

LuaLua was a long term injury as he had his ankle smashed at Hartlepool in November and didn't play for the rest of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here