Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkish Fans & minutes Silence in Instanbal

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I think the ref and players should of just walked off the pitch and let them get on with it...

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Horrible to watch this but I suspect if you look hard enough anywhere in Europe at the moment you'll find isolated incidents of disrespect, indifference and even jokes about the Paris atrocities.

Far better to focus on the good stuff - the compassion, the empathy, the refusal to let the murderers achieve their goal of creating even more hatred and division.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd be more inclined to believe that explanation if they hadn't chanted 'Allahu Akbar'.

im inclinded to think they did not. for a start, why would turks chant an arabic slogan? i know its Islamic and theres common religion, but it would be a bit like us shouting, well "sieg heil" is the obvious one. would only be done to deliberatly want to cause offence.

and why would they want to, Turks aren't hardcore Islamic, im pretty sure they recognise they could be in the frame next. i couldnt discern "allahu akbar" in particular, and the longer chant sounds a resonsonable explaination - especially if true this is their custom. couldnt say i could discern this either, but its defintely a longer phrase imo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Horrible to watch this but I suspect if you look hard enough anywhere in Europe at the moment you'll find isolated incidents of disrespect, indifference and even jokes about the Paris atrocities.

Far better to focus on the good stuff - the compassion, the empathy, the refusal to let the murderers achieve their goal of creating even more hatred and division.

Agreed. I guess it's not too far removed from a few Chelsea morons chanting during a minute's silence to commemorate Hillsborough, but still think it was predictable in Turkey.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
im inclinded to think they did not. for a start, why would turks chant an arabic slogan? i know its Islamic and theres common religion, but it would be a bit like us shouting, well "sieg heil" is the obvious one. would only be done to deliberatly want to cause offence.

and why would they want to, Turks aren't hardcore Islamic, im pretty sure they recognise they could be in the frame next. i couldnt discern "allahu akbar" in particular, and the longer chant sounds a resonsonable explaination - especially if true this is their custom. couldnt say i could discern this either, but its defintely a longer phrase imo.

She (the Reuters correspondent) was there, we weren't. She's fluent in Turkish, I'm not and I'm going to take a punt that you aren't either. I'm going with what she said as she's completely neutral in all this.

Why would they chant Alluha Akhbar? Well there are a significant section of the Turkish population whose views do tend towards hardcore Islamic. Less than 48 hours after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, no less than the Turkish President said this: "The duplicity of the west is obvious,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said at a press conference on the Monday evening. “As Muslims we have never sided with terror or massacres: racism, hate speech, Islamophobia are behind these massacres. The culprits are clear: French citizens undertook this massacre and Muslims were blamed for it.” And the mayor of Ankara, Turkey's second biggest city (so there's no doubting this bloke carries some political weight) said "Mossad is definitely behind such incidents . . . it is boosting enmity towards Islam."

I'm guessing that Erdogan and the mayor have their supporters in large numbers and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that those Turks who chanted Allahu Akhbar are some of these. Granted, that is pure speculation but it's clear that a lot of Turks right up to the Turkish President has some serious problems with the Christian West.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Par for the course isn't it? I still remember the scenes of celebrations in so many muslim countries after 9/11. The PC brigade may try and make out it is a small minority who are causing all of the problems but there is a very strong but silent inactive majority that is effectively condoning these actions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Par for the course isn't it? I still remember the scenes of celebrations in so many muslim countries after 9/11. The PC brigade may try and make out it is a small minority who are causing all of the problems but there is a very strong but silent inactive majority that is effectively condoning these actions.

A simple google search of 'Turks Celebrate Paris attacks' backs this up somewhat.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Certainly would think twice before holidaying in Turkey .

Been something large due there for a while now. Unfortunately, I think its going to happen there on a large scale.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i blame corbyn

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
There was never going to be any form of silence at a Turkey Greece match whoever the remembrance was for
Apparently though the crowd were showing their support for the Turkish Army against PKK (martyrs may die but the homeland will not be divided)

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Well my wife's grandfather always told her "never trust a turk"

I agree my sisters loving hubby was a turk , spent all her money then fecked off home leaving her with 2 kids,had loads of affairs to

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But see

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-not-a-mark-of-disrespect-claim-a6738741.html

A lot of Turks arguing that they were making the point about all the Turks that had been killed in similar (including ISIS) terror attacks, but which had not led to this sort of commemoration, minutes silence etc etc. If true (and, of course, it may just be an excuse), they may have a point.

I consider myself to be very PC in such matters but that statement doesn't carry any weight. Two wrongs don't make a right. It costs nothing to show respect in such matters and the people who booed were wrong. The only thing I would say on this is that British football fans have shown similar disrespect in matches between clubs when fans boo during minutes silences for opposing fans former players who have died so we are not without sin in such matters either.

The problem with trying to hold a minutes silence at a Turkey v Greece match. They have a history of thousands having been killed on both sides over a largely religious and land conflict war in Cyprus in the 1970s. You were never going to get the silence before this match no matter what the reason for trying to have it. Doesn't excuse their behavior but they should have gone down the route of a minutes applause to be on the safe side at this particular match. Especially since there are millions of Syrian refugees in Turkey who have fled the bombs from the Western Allies.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
...and here's a video of some Turks celebrating the Paris massacre.

We do know that there are lots of ISIS sympathisers in Turkey so I am not really surprised by this.

That said with regards to football, ISIS strictly forbids watching and playing it. So in theory, going by the principles of ISIS, anyone turning up to the game are infidels and should be executed. Supporting ISIS and going to a football game are not compatible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here