Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016 seedings: England, Italy and Wales could be in the same group

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd fancy our chances in a group with Switzerland, Hungary and Albania - especially as some 3rd place teams will go through.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd fancy our chances in a group with Switzerland, Hungary and Albania - especially as some 3rd place teams will go through.

I'd rather one stronger team in our group. 3 easy teams doesn't sit well with me.

You can get through your group with 3 points, the way it's set up now.

I predict we sneak through the group with 1 decent win and a couple of wobbly draws/losses, beat someone like Russia in 2nd round then out to one of the big guns in the Quarters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That theoretical group doesn't look too bad actually. Neither teams are that great; I can see Wales getting through quite easily.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So how are Wales so low on the 'UEFA national team coefficient ranking' yet so high on the other one - bizaare?

We fully deserve our spot in the top pot on recent qualification campaigns although I don't fancy any of the other home nations from the pot 4...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So how are Wales so low on the 'UEFA national team coefficient ranking' yet so high on the other one - bizaare?

Record in previous Euro tournament finals? (None)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We fully deserve our spot in the top pot on recent qualification campaigns although I don't fancy any of the other home nations from the pot 4...

It's a bit self-fulfilling though. Part of the reason England do well in qualifying is because they are seeded and shielded from the big teams. And by being shielded they are able to keep their seeding.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just getting out of our group in Finals is an achievement these days. How things have changed, we used to talk (optimistically) about winning these tournaments. None of those dreams now for second rate England.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's a bit self-fulfilling though. Part of the reason England do well in qualifying is because they are seeded and shielded from the big teams. And by being shielded they are able to keep their seeding.

Fair point, although that's the same for any ranking system surely? Tennis, darts etc etc? We earned the right to be a top seed and have earned the right to stay there. (I'm not predicting us to do much at the Euros itself btw, unfortunately - but credit where it's due for the 100% qualifying campaign - no other team did that and the Swiss aren't a bad side at all)

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
How much did we have to pay to get seeded? ??? No corruption in football? Righty-o.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair point, although that's the same for any ranking system surely? Tennis, darts etc etc? We earned the right to be a top seed and have earned the right to stay there. (I'm not predicting us to do much at the Euros itself btw, unfortunately - but credit where it's due for the 100% qualifying campaign - no other team did that and the Swiss aren't a bad side at all)

Don't get enough credit for not dropping a point, every thing is easy on paper.

Holland were top seeds and didn't get through, nor did Bosnia or Greece - Russia only came second.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here