Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best recipe bolognese sauce?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Masterchefs of NSC, What would you say is the best Recipe to make a homemade Bolognese sauce?

Much Arguing going on in the office, if a sauce should contain bacon in some instances and chilli in another.

What is your personal favourite?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Coffee. Must have coffee in it.

Captures.JPG

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Masterchefs of NSC, What would you say is the best Recipe to make a homemade Bolognese sauce?

Much Arguing going on in the office, if a sauce should contain bacon in some instances and chilli in another.

Has anyone mentioned adding frozen peas yet? Stick your tin helmet on before doing that if not, especially if any Italians working with you...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No chili.

A little bacon is good.

Some red or white wine (I know many scoff at the idea of white wine in the sauce, but that's because you haven't compared the two and you're jumping to conclusions). Some finely diced carrot and celery. Obviously onion. Some full fat milk. Some nutmeg. Preferably some sun dried tomatoes, as well as standard tomatoes.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No chili.

A little bacon is good.

Some red or white wine (I know many scoff at the idea of white wine in the sauce, but that's because you haven't compared the two and you're jumping to conclusions). Some finely diced carrot and celery. Obviously onion. Some full fat milk. Some nutmeg. Preferably some sun dried tomatoes, as well as standard tomatoes.

Milk?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Cook bacon, add, onion, carrot, celery. Remove. Add coarsely minced beef (or beef and pork) to the pan and brown well. Add chicken livers. Put the bacon and veg back in. Add glass of milk and cook till evaporated. Add glass of white wine followed by a can of tomatoes. Cook for as long as you can. Serve with tagliatelle and a grating of parmesan or pecorino.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Tell the office weirdo you said bolognese not chilli con carne

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As above and add a teaspoon of Italian herbs or oregano along with plenty of pepper.

Brown the mince more than you think is necessary before adding anything else to the pan. It makes a huge difference!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bacon yes. Chilli no. I also add those mushrooms in oil, chopped and drained, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar....oh, and have I mentioned I make my own pasta?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cook bacon, add, onion, carrot, celery. Remove. Add coarsely minced beef (or beef and pork) to the pan and brown well. Add chicken livers. Put the bacon and veg back in. Add glass of milk and cook till evaporated. Add glass of white wine followed by a can of tomatoes. Cook for as long as you can. Serve with tagliatelle and a grating of parmesan or pecorino.

This is pretty much exactly my recipe too, although I always use 60/40 beef/pork mince.

Secret ingredient? A couple of glugs of worcestershire sauce.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well someone has offered up Sweatcorn, the dirty ********, who puts sweetcorn in a bolognese!!!

It’s not right. Carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes but no sweet corn.
I also avoid wine in food too. Most people don’t know how to use alcohol properly in food so best to leave it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Bacon and onion for sure. Chilli not required on this occasion. Lashings of parmesan. Obviously.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Start with good quality mince. You can chuck anything you like it, but it’ll be crap if the meat’s cheap.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Onions
Garlic
Beef mince
Lardons
Beef stock
Carrot
Celery
Chopped tomatoes