Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] We Buy Any Car

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No, but I sneaked past without accepting their £50 offer for Mrs Earle's car. Somehow, it was an offer I found resistable.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Anyone ever managed to sneak a mechanical fault past them and walk away with the cash?
Yep, had a fault on a sensor on the timing chain on a VW Touareg and blagged it as there was a light on the dashboard that showed a problem. Also got another one on them.
They paid the money into my account and said the trailer would be along in two days to collect the car.
After the two days they still hadn’t collected as they said the trailer wasn’t around my area.
The VW was on my private drive behind a padlocked gate so I said fair enough but now I’m charging you £25 per day for parking on my drive.
Trailer turned up a couple of days later to collect but I refused to allow access to the car until they paid my 3 days of parking so £75.
After an hour of arguing they paid the money into my account and I removed the padlock.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
15 year old C3. Perfect nick, one lady driver, 48k on the clock. Her BHA plate is worth rather more. We were just curious, not selling yet!!

yeah, they pay naff all for older cars.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yep, had a fault on a sensor on the timing chain on a VW Touareg and blagged it as there was a light on the dashboard that showed a problem. Also got another one on them.
They paid the money into my account and said the trailer would be along in two days to collect the car.
After the two days they still hadn’t collected as they said the trailer wasn’t around my area.
The VW was on my private drive behind a padlocked gate so I said fair enough but now I’m charging you £25 per day for parking on my drive.
Trailer turned up a couple of days later to collect but I refused to allow access to the car until they paid my 3 days of parking so £75.
After an hour of arguing they paid the money into my account and I removed the padlock.
��

Did they take it for a spin?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I made the mistake of buying a Ffiesta from a Fford dealership some years ago. Absolute shysters. Everyone, including the cleaners, on commission. I brought back my car after a few years, on one of those 'pay loads of money then after several years you still don't own the car' schemes. They greedily took the car back and settled up. They failed to notice under all the mud that the driver and rear doors had been badly bashed in. Won't bore you with all the shit-housery these dealers had previously pulled on me but this small bit of eyes-wide-open revenge was sweet.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Did they take it for a spin?
Yeah, car drove fine but it was the sensor that showed the fault.
In real terms the timing chain had stretched and I believe to do that job the engine would have to come out.
They obviously hadn’t done their homework

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yeah, car drove fine but it was the sensor that showed the fault.
In real terms the timing chain had stretched and I believe to do that job the engine would have to come out.
They obviously hadn’t done their homework

Cheers [MENTION=1284]moggy[/MENTION]

If they take mine (my mate's...) for a spin they might notice the gearbox screaming for a replacement. Back to the drawing board.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
In a lot of cases they don't care about faults and suchlike. They send all the cars to BCA auctions and will give you below what it is expected to make there. WBAC are owned by Britsh Car Auctions. Even if you sell them a clapped out motor they won't care so much as the person buying it at auction won't know it's clapped out.
That's why BCA are worldwide and worth billions.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Took my father in law’s car to them a couple of years ago with a base price of £500. Ended up with them owing ME money! To be fair, they appear to have quite a solid business model. Hire cheap premises for a few hours a week, employ a nugget with a clipboard and a list of guaranteed faults you could find on even new cars, and have a guaranteed garage to either buy cars for spares or flog them at a profit. I am sure there are better ways of getting shot of your car.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.....all the cars they buy end up in the ring.

Very experienced (and 1970's - 90's) 'trader' term there..... :whistle:

Yes... WeBuyAnyCar are indeed owned by BCA. They bid middle to bottom book, then adjust for cosmetic condition - which is what the hapless buyers at auction will also adjust for. Cars at auction tend to make middle to top book these days, then they also get their buyers indemnity and auction fees on top.

Cracking business model.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here