Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pretty pleased I won my Mercury bet, I thought Bowie was going to win it but got Skepta at 10/1 just before the nominations. A good call from the judges on a very decent list this year, I thought.

We're putting on Soccer96 (link - featuring 2/3 of 2016 Mercury nominated 'The Comet Is Coming') at The Hope later this evening. I just hope their inevitable major league hangovers have subsided and that their catering expectations haven't increased too much as a result of the Mercury's hospitality last night.

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/364189

First track from their imminent new record is the lovely 'Megadrive Lamborghini' that debuted on Bolier Room a month or so back, well worth a listen, though it probably would have made more sense in the Indian summer rather than the deluge outside at present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxy7TiGSjxM

Well done on getting them, and I trust their name got a few on here to see them.
I was elsewhere over the w/e, and only just seen this post, but would have made it if I could. I'm really enjoying that The Comet is Coming album. How were Soccer96?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well done on getting them, and I trust their name got a few on here to see them.
I was elsewhere over the w/e, and only just seen this post, but would have made it if I could. I'm really enjoying that The Comet is Coming album. How were Soccer96?

It were a proper cracker. Having heard the first two singles from the record, I thought they might have become a little less frantic live but the set embraced both old and new. Really good show I thought (but then I would say that I guess.)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's a new Leonard Cohen album out on 21st October called 'You Want It Darker' and he's released the title track from it. Any pretence at singing has finally been given up but he's not lost any of his songwriting abilities and there are some killer lines in there - You want it darker, we kill the flame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y

I do hope the line "I'm ready, my Lord" isn't prophetic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The new Sin Fang album 'Spaceland' is an instant favourite with me. It's been a long time coming too, I think the last Sin Fang album was 4 years ago. Sin Fang is Sindri Már Sigfússon from Icelandic band Seabear and he's got a few other Icelandic musician guesting on this most notably Jonsi from Sigur Ros and Soley (who I wish would be more prolific as a solo artist).

It's electronica-tinged pop with that customary Icelandic melancholia that somehow manages to sound uplifting too. There's lots of layers to each track and it made me wonder if fellow Icelandics Gus Gus are involved in the production because there's definitely something there that reminds me of them. The whole album is right up my street. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwApXP0mTM

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Looks like Chromatics - Dear Tommy, follow up to 2012's 'Kill for Love' is due for a release this autumn. Promised in 2015 and drip fed a number of tracks through the year it all went a bit quiet, but a couple of new videos posted in the last couple of months point to something happening soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Just spent the morning revisiting a few albums from earlier this year and I know it's been mentioned on here before but the Lou Rhodes (ex. of Lamb) solo album is just beautiful.

Absolutely :thumbsup:

Just going through this, a great version of Out of the Black. Nice album.

billie-marten-writing-blues-yellows-cover-413x413.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been revisiting Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve recent album titled The Soft Bounce.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks for the link. If Hookworms, Sauna Youth and Monotony are on that label, perhaps I should be checking out Cold Pumas too.

I'm rather surprised you haven't done so already! Dan from Cold Pumas/ Soft Walls (for it is he) has released so much good stuff over the last 5 years or so.

I did a label primer here - http://brightonnoise.co.uk/news/?p=80353 though it is 2 and 1/2 years old. If anything , the quality has improved since then.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm probably well behind the curve on this but it's only just been released over here:

Banks and Steelz - the singer from Interpol and RZA's collaboration. It's fantastic. More Interpol than Wu-tang Clan but by the same token probably better than anything Interpol have done since Turn On The Bright Lights. Or at least since Antics.

Here they are live:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Sneaks - Gymnastics

Minimalist post punk consisting of a voice, bass guitar and drum machine, over what appears to be fragments of songs, there are 10 tracks on the album which clock in at just over 13 minutes.

Reissued this month after a very limited release last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here