Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Before They Were Famous

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
1987, hungover student, perhaps a Saturday morning in Whalley Range, Manchester and my housemate Jacqui introduces me to an old schoolfriend of hers, Reni, a drummer. Really nice friendly guy and a bleary cup of tea and a chat ensued. Yes, he had a bucket hat on.
Weirdly enough, 30 years later (last year) and about a mile from there my daughter, 20, is at her friends for a party and Reni is there as he's good friends with my daughter's friend's parents. He was really nice apparently and chatted to her about Philip Larkin and her degree studies. Cool guy. :D

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
That's the joke.

0bae30c19e1b8cc14ae7cd4385c24023.jpg

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I went to secondary school with Richard Hammond, no interesting stories about him though, sorry. He was a year or two above me.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Back in the early 80's I was living in Bushey in Hertfordshire. We frequently partied at a mate's house and one night / early morning when we went back I managed to spend some time with a young lady called Shirlie, who was, unbeknown to me, at the time part of the emerging Pepsi & Shirlie, or rather backing Wham as they were starting to emerge.

I was staying in the Stakis Victoria hotel in Nottingham in November 1983 whilst attending an insurance sales course. Wham were staying in the hotel too as they were performing somewhere in the city. Met Pepsi and Shirlie in the bar one night - very good fun they were too...no sign of the guys though but getting through the hordes of (mostly) teenage girls who laid siege to the hotel was trying to say the least.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jonny Wilkinson was a couple of years below me in school.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went to a friend's house for dinner in the late 80s and she'd invited another friend of hers, a young woman called Phyllida who'd just started out as a theatre director. We had a pleasant chat, but, mama mia, I don't think of any us sitting round that table imagined that she'd go on to direct the biggest ever grossing film at the UK box office.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
I once played football against Chris Sutton, I think there were a few more that went on to play for Norwich 1st team... it was a "junior European tournament" & somehow little ol' Crowborough under 14 or 15 got invited. Norwich had 2 junior teams.. Cymru Canaries & Norwich
Also, had a PE teacher at Beacon (Crowborough) - Mr Gerry Armstrong, last seen umpiring at Wimbledon

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I lived with and am friends with Sam Preston from Ordinary Boys. After mentioning this to Mrs The Clamp's Mum she produced a folder full of pics of him from the school plays she produced (she was an art teacher). Was amusing to show them to him out of the blue.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Played Cricket against Mike Yardy a number of times in the East Sussex Junior Leagues in the 90's. Once told him to "shut it you goofy c*nt" (I was a lovely 15 year old!) after he sledged me while he was keeping wicket and I was batting in a final that we went on to lose thanks to him smashing the ball to all parts..

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Back in the early 90s when I was still a floor layer about 23 years old living in Camden, I was laying flooring for a Cypriot female hairdresser in north London who was maybe early 30s, anyway the job was over two days.
Day one she made me a sit down meal after I had finished, we sat chatted etc, and I went home.
Day two towards the end of the day, the job was taking longer than expected, mainly because she just gossiped on and on, being slightly naive it only dawned on me what was going on, when she got undressed and went for a bath and said I must be sweaty to after all that work. She was tidy so what the hell....

She then asked if I would like to stay the night, but she had a friend coming to stay to, if I did not mind.

I had a gig to go to, so declined.

I still had to put the thresholds down & tidy up the rubbish etc, while I was doing this her friend turned up who was going to stay the night,
They went into the Lounge and opened a bottle of wine, and started chatting with me while I was still there.....

It was only years later I saw the women's friend on TV.
Not that I fancy or ever have this famous person from a famous family, and is still on tv and has had her own show.

Thinking back on it, and how naive I was, that chat that was going on....
I often wonder.....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When I lived in Wigan, my parents were away for a weekend and after the pub one night, I invited the basically the pub back and someone was annoying me, so when he passed out I got my clippers out and shaved a chunk out of his hair....

Several weeks later in the pub, he confronted me and was not a happy bunny, but I was a cocky shit.

Poor old....

Richard Ashcroft

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The first gig I ever did with a band, we hadn't got a drummer, but the guitarist knew someone who would sit in for the gig, someone called Alan Forbes - later known as Eugene Reynolds, lead singer of The Rezillos.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Back in the early 90s when I was still a floor layer about 23 years old living in Camden, I was laying flooring for a Cypriot female hairdresser in north London who was maybe early 30s, anyway the job was over two days.
Day one she made me a sit down meal after I had finished, we sat chatted etc, and I went home.
Day two towards the end of the day, the job was taking longer than expected, mainly because she just gossiped on and on, being slightly naive it only dawned on me what was going on, when she got undressed and went for a bath and said I must be sweaty to after all that work. She was tidy so what the hell....

She then asked if I would like to stay the night, but she had a friend coming to stay to, if I did not mind.

I had a gig to go to, so declined.

I still had to put the thresholds down & tidy up the rubbish etc, while I was doing this her friend turned up who was going to stay the night,
They went into the Lounge and opened a bottle of wine, and started chatting with me while I was still there.....

It was only years later I saw the women's friend on TV.
Not that I fancy or ever have this famous person from a famous family, and is still on tv and has had her own show.

Thinking back on it, and how naive I was, that chat that was going on....
I often wonder.....

Lorraine Kelly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here