Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So, out means out. Then what? As the Government doesnt seem to know what the future holds, it could be up to the NSC brexiteers to let the country know whats going to happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, out means out. Then what? As the Government doesnt seem to know what the future holds, it could be up to the NSC brexiteers to let the country know whats going to happen.
[MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION] knows exactly what he voted for. Ask him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didnt realise the referral to the police had already resulted in a conclusion of their investigation and resulted in a conviction considering the accused side are/were seeking legal representation on the decision.
Do you have the link?

That's for the corruption. The Electoral Commission has investigate both sides and the only one who broke electoral law was VoteLeave.
The police will decide, with the CPS, whether the corruption constitutes criminal charges. That would result in prison sentences, if convicted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
fcffa55cd06d38f081973b42ab0771c1.jpg

Well this one resigned within hours of being rumbled.

Resigned but I call it cowardly running away.

larus

I can't accept cheating liars who broke the law.

What about the report by MPs on a select committee what criticised the government and the £9m spent on the leaflet which it said was supporting remain and was wrong? This was a cross-part committee BTW.

This £9m dwarfs the suggested £750k supposedly overspent by the Leave side. No doubt in your mind that's acceptable though, as it was on your side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What about the report by MPs on a select committee what criticised the government and the £9m spent on the leaflet which it said was supporting remain and was wrong? This was a cross-part committee BTW.

This £9m dwarfs the suggested £750k supposedly overspent by the Leave side. No doubt in your mind that's acceptable though, as it was on your side.

How’s life? Still “cushty”?

larus

How’s life? Still “cushty”?

Yes it is thanks for asking. Hope all is good with you too.

Genuine question. What do you attribute the huge drop-off in France/German quarterly GDP growth to from the last 2 quarters of 2017 to the first 2 in 2018?

If this is sustained then we could quite soon see the UK quarterly growth exceed the EU. That will make all of the claims that what the UK experienced (i.e. the slight drop-off in GDP growth) all linked to Brexit completely bogus. Also, monetary policy is more expansionary in Euro countries too as well as running QE.

Interesting eh! :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Genuine question. What do you attribute the huge drop-off in France/German quarterly GDP growth to from the last 2 quarters of 2017 to the first 2 in 2018?

If this is sustained then we could quite soon see the UK quarterly growth exceed the EU. That will make all of the claims that what the UK experienced (i.e. the slight drop-off in GDP growth) all linked to Brexit completely bogus. Also, monetary policy is more expansionary in Euro countries too as well as running QE.

Nothing like a race to the bottom eh?

So your argument is basically along the lines of 'the UK growth may be terrible, but look at the Germans, their growth isn't as strong as they thought. Jeez.

Still, the UK lags behind at 1.7 I think it is last year, whilst Germany is at 2.4. Meanwhile, this year we're next to flat.

Whatever happens, we are going to Brexit and we need to get on with it. A shame we couldn't listen to the advice of this man and have a second referendum:

“You could have two referendums and, as it happens, it may be more sense to have the second referendum after the renegotiation is completed.” Jacob Rees Mogg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where did you get your German figures from? Can you show me ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Stage 1 :wink:

larus

Sorry, meant as a reply to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]

UK GDP Growth
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

German GDP Growth
https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-growth

French
https://tradingeconomics.com/france/gdp-growth

Italian
https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/gdp-growth

As you can see, both France and Germany have had a dramatic drop over 6 months.

My point is that remainers like to portray the drop in the UK as a result of Brexit, the whole Brexit and nothing but the Brexit. When some of us try to point out that this is simplistic we get ridiculed. The facts are clear, there are many things which impact GDP growth, as is quite clear in the decline in the major economies of the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, meant as a reply to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]

UK GDP Growth
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

German GDP Growth
https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-growth

French
https://tradingeconomics.com/france/gdp-growth

Italian
https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/gdp-growth

As you can see, both France and Germany have had a dramatic drop over 6 months.

My point is that remainers like to portray the drop in the UK as a result of Brexit, the whole Brexit and nothing but the Brexit. When some of us try to point out that this is simplistic we get ridiculed. The facts are clear, there are many things which impact GDP growth, as is quite clear in the decline in the major economies of the EU.

Good question. Re Germany I personally have no idea, I just asked someone who suggested this particular winter might have caused it as very cold winters mean construction slows/stops. But as your link says “Still, it marked the 15th straight quarter of growth, making this Germany's longest upswing since 1991” it’s not panic stations just yet.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've come up with a solution to our collective problem.

Leave = whatever you want it to mean

Brexit = whatever you want it to mean

Out = whatever you want it to mean

Frictionless trade = whatever you want it to mean

If we all adopt this approach (and these are strict definitions) we will all always be right and we won't have to argue any more. In fact we'll be one big happy family (whatever that means).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I've come up with a solution to our collective problem.

Leave = whatever you want it to mean

Brexit = whatever you want it to mean

Out = whatever you want it to mean

Frictionless trade = whatever you want it to mean

If we all adopt this approach (and these are strict definitions) we will all always be right and we won't have to argue any more. In fact we'll be one big happy family (whatever that means).

:bowdown:TOGETHER:thumbsup:

larus

Good question. Re Germany I personally have no idea, I just asked someone who suggested this particular winter might have caused it as very cold winters mean construction slows/stops. But as your link says “Still, it marked the 15th straight quarter of growth, making this Germany's longest upswing since 1991” it’s not panic stations just yet.

Again, genuinely not trying to be confrontational, but when leavers made the same comments about UK GDP growth being impacted by the hard winter, there was the usual piss-take from remainers. Can you see the double standard here?

I'm not saying it's anything to worry about; my point is that the assertion that the slight softening of UK growth in Q1 was proof of the impact of Brexit is clearly a guess and not factual. The preliminary forecasts of Q2 growth are expected to be 0.4 - 0.5% so better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here