Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The point is I think you are generalising this and in effect tarnishing all food bank users where as clearly there is a need for them.

I am not generalising. I am being very specific in saying that no parent should put any of the things on that list above the supply of food to their children. If they have none of those things than they should receive every help the State can give.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not generalising. I am being very specific in saying that no parent should put any of the things on that list above the supply of food to their children. If they have none of those things than they should receive every help the State can give.

Water means living and hygiene therefore no illness

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just out of interest, what do you do?

He probably works at the airport or is an estate agent. This is what people in Bishops Stortford do.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The problem here is that you're perpetuating a number of 19,000 that has no basis in fact whatsoever, yet you mention "lies, damn lies and statistics". For what it's worth, only 1/3 are repeat 'beneficiaries' and that was a 'handful of visits'. So it suggests that the number is far closer to 1m that 19,000. If you factor all the other food banks not run by Trussell Trust, it's a truly sad picture.

If you look at my original post (#77) where I did the maths you will see that I referenced 19,000 as "extreme" because I was specifically referring to the lazy journalism of someone turning 913,000 visits into "more than one million people".

I am not saying and never had said that it is a fact there were only 19,000 families in the system, but as a professional statistician I baulk at the stupidity of journalists and those who idly quote them with no understanding or questioning of what exactly what the data says.

I have also not suggested that this isn't a tragedy for the individuals involved, merely that 'making up' dramatic headlines on the basis of dodgy statistics just undermines the credibility of your original argument.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
As has been mentioned more than once, you CANNOT just then up and collect free food. For God's sake read about it.

Post me a link please so I can read on what people use these food bank and what restrictions are in place so they aren't being abused.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
You're are a recipient of handouts from my tax, and believe it or not, you're also a beneficiary of taxes paid by Westdene Seagull, that's how it works. Just out of interest, what do you do?

He donates to food banks while hanging around outside them to see who uses them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You have openly right wing and left wing people totally disagreeing with you. You're out on your own.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Post me a link please so I can read on what people use these food bank and what restrictions are in place so they aren't being abused.

Your wasting your time. Its all hot air.
Next he will tell you there is no abuse in the benefit system.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

THere is an earlier post which responded to me askign the very same question amongst others.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well lets euthanise everyone over 60.

No, only those who make the Tory party look compassionate and look down on anyone who has to claim benefits. For the avoidance of doubt, you fall into that category.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No, only those who make the Tory party look compassionate and look down on anyone who has to claim benefits. For the avoidance of doubt, you fall into that category.

Find me any statement I have made that looks down on everyone claiming benefit. I look down on claimants that abuse the system.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's quite a special achievement, you have to hand it to him - Having such a broad church think you're a knob is Piers Morganesque

Agree. I do not think I have ever seen a debate with me, Beach Hut and Westdene all on the same side before.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you paid in that much tax then you obviously earned a good wage over a long period. Did you not think to put some aside for a rainy day? It's always the fault of someone else when things go wrong.

Find me any statement I have made that looks down on everyone claiming benefit. I look down on claimants that abuse the system.

I could be here all day quoting every single instance and I need to get the job centre to try and abuse the food bank system. So the highlighted will just have to do for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here