Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] crystal palace fans have lodged an official complaint against Sussex Police

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
And please don’t insult me by rubbish such as “don’t come back at me etc” if you know of my family connections with the Police, then you will also have read that on several occasions I have voiced agreement with other posters that the Police are no exception when it comes to an organisation that contains those whose standards fall short of what is required.
Yes, you have no problem with restoring order - which of course is what everyone says so long as they don’t have to be inconvenienced along the way. You quote a specific example and I do agree that seemingly officious individuals, relishing their power, can provoke the opposite reaction. Yes, you may be a rebel, but they have to deal with far more disagreeable rebels, and how do you know that the instruction was not intended for your safety? Do you know what had happened at previous matches and what might have been the reasoning. No, you don’t. The Police operate on intelligence received and sometimes their actions may seem odd, but there could well be a reason for it - and a very good reason. It may have nothing to do with causing the problems for themselves, and with respect, without the intelligence gathered over a period, and watchers at strategic points, you can not possibly be in a position to make the judgements that you blithely do.
Pfft intelligence gets us into wars

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
Football fans are treated differently to every other section of society, just because they are football fans, and because of the lies, duplicity and deceit over the deaths are Hillsborough.
A copper can decide if a person is drunk at a game, without any proof, breathalyser or excuse. There is a case going on with the FSF right now, where the fan has been banned for three years, simply because a copper decided he was drunk inside a stadium.

Exactly.

A lot on here seem to think a few minor incidents (and, IMO, they were very minor) seem to excuse the treatment of Palace fans before the match. I agree with keeping away fans back after the match, for the safety of both sets of fans, but the rest was ridiculous. By accepting it for palace fans, it just means that same will happen tomorrow.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Trenches-England-Prehistoric-Uffington-White-Horse-wide.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Pfft intelligence gets us into wars

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Goodness me -is that really the best you can do? Intelligence is the defence against many strands of evil - how many hundreds of lives have been saved as a result. You said you had a relative who was a Police officer -just ask him/her, if you don't believe me!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don’t disagree with you, as far as it goes.

Was forcing people to get on trains they didn’t want to get on “restoring order”?
Was route marching large numbers past hostile fans “restoring order”?
Was forcing individuals without tickets to go to the stadium “restoring order?

When individuals get restrained because of nothing they’ve done or intend to do but because someone else might do something then they tend to get annoyed. Do this a number of times and many get angry. That’s when order is likely needed to be restored.

I have no problem with being told I can’t do something, this pub is out of bounds, this road is closed etc. or you can’t go here without a ticket. That is not the same as being told you must do something - you must get on this train, you must stay here, you must go this way.

I can’t think of any other sport whose fans are treated in this way or indeed any group of people who when treated in this manner just shrug their shoulders and suggest that all the curtailment of civil liberties was justified.

If we as fans are treated in a similar manner tomorrow then I wonder just how many posts on the subject there will be on here.

Of course, I do see what you are saying, and that individuals caught up in the mayhem will be inconvenienced, and two of the examples you quote are reasonable points to make. Frog-marching fans past hostile potential combatants, is, I would have thought, quite a reasonable step to take, and would have been in your own interest. In an extremely hostile atmosphere, when hundreds of often drunk yobs are involved, throwing missiles etc, the Police do not have the time and, given the quite justifiable fear for their own safety, probably the inclination to enquire of individuals as to whether this step they are taking is entirely to their satisfaction.
Yes, you are right in that no other sport involves this type of policing, but surely you are not blaming the Police for that - the vast majority going to the Amex is quite respectable and I am sure, that you, like I, when walking up from Falmer have never encountered a problem. But as we both know, all clubs have a hardcore of fans, numbering probably no more than a couple of hundred, who like nothing more than to cause problems. If they realise for one moment that there will be no ramifications, then we will see a return to the bad old days, which, I am sure, no one wants.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It is in “direct response” to crowd trouble at the previous two meetings between the Seagulls and Eagles.

There was no trouble at the Cup game. Poor reporting Amir Razavi.

Is this not typical of you? There might not have been so many problems inside the ground, and less trouble outside, but I can assure you that there were skirmishes outside, though not on the scale of the league match. But because YOU had not seen it, then it must not have happened. It did!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Of course, I do see what you are saying, and that individuals caught up in the mayhem will be inconvenienced, and two of the examples you quote are reasonable points to make. Frog-marching fans past hostile potential combatants, is, I would have thought, quite a reasonable step to take, and would have been in your own interest. In an extremely hostile atmosphere, when hundreds of often drunk yobs are involved, throwing missiles etc, the Police do not have the time and, given the quite justifiable fear for their own safety, probably the inclination to enquire of individuals as to whether this step they are taking is entirely to their satisfaction.
Yes, you are right in that no other sport involves this type of policing, but surely you are not blaming the Police for that - the vast majority going to the Amex is quite respectable and I am sure, that you, like I, when walking up from Falmer have never encountered a problem. But as we both know, all clubs have a hardcore of fans, numbering probably no more than a couple of hundred, who like nothing more than to cause problems. If they realise for one moment that there will be no ramifications, then we will see a return to the bad old days, which, I am sure, no one wants.

Is this not typical of you? There might not have been so many problems inside the ground, and less trouble outside, but I can assure you that there were skirmishes outside, though not on the scale of the league match. But because YOU had not seen it, then it must not have happened. It did!!

Make your mind up.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Make your mind up.

Don't be so stupid. Are you really that desperate? The vast majority of fans do not involve themselves in trouble, as I said, but a small minority do, as happened that night. I cannot believe you are this thick that you can look at the two posts and see a connection. On many threads, we all - you included - offer opinions for others to accept or reject, but on certain issues, such as yourself with your Navy background, we all can bring knowledge to the table - just accept that on this occasion I know more than you and stop being so silly.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't be so stupid. Are you really that desperate? The vast majority of fans do not involve themselves in trouble, as I said, but a small minority do, as happened that night. I cannot believe you are this thick that you can look at the two posts and see a connection. On many threads, we all - you included - offer opinions for others to accept or reject, but on certain issues, such as yourself with your Navy background, we all can bring knowledge to the table - just accept that on this occasion I know more than you and stop being so silly.

Silly stupid and desperate. You know more than me. Right oh.

I've only been going to football matches for over 55 years home and away. I reject your opinion, if that is ok with you, that is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here