Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Like your moderating decisions this is misjudged and ill thought out. While I'm an advocate of gallows humour (both my parents died of cancer) it's probably best reserved for close friends and family, not a stranger and not on a public message board.
A severe lapse of judgment there. Poor show.

Everyone has lost people to cancer, I wish you and several others on this thread would stop using as if you’re the only people in the world to have suffered from or been affected by. We all have been. And what about other illnesses, subject matters etc. What else aren’t we allowed to talk about, joke about or joke about to what degree? Not that the joke was about cancer. It was about Lawro and a somewhat in-house NSC one at that as many people (correctly) interpreted. But do carrying on getting completely the wrong end of the stick and moralising about what can and can’t be said in accordance with your misplaced sense of outrage.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Everyone has lost people to cancer, I wish you and several others on this thread would stop using as if you’re the only people in the world to have suffered from or been affected by. We all have been. And what about other illnesses, subject matters etc. What else aren’t we allowed to talk about, joke about or joke about to what degree? Not that the joke was about cancer. It was about Lawro and a somewhat in-house NSC one at that as many people (correctly) interpreted. But do carrying on getting completely the wrong end of the stick and moralising about what can and can’t be said in accordance with your misplaced sense of outrage.

You have misse the point people are making almost to the point of being offensive. I will relay my experience of cancer any way I see fit thank you, besides which you utterly missed the point of me mentioning them. We all got the “joke” it was just poorly worded hugely misjudged. You’re fighting a losing battle and I have made the only point I wish to make on this ridiculous thread. I’ll leave you to it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And would have been a lot wiser.

Hang on? it’s ok to infer a joke mentioning Phenomena then? A disease that kills millions also? Where’s the list of illnesses that can and can’t be used?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
You’re not wrong, but the if you change the names/wording of the thread, the OP would be identical. Are we as offended by the mention of Pneumonia as we are Cancer, if it was solely a byproduct of the joke?

I think you are missing the point. The problem isn't the words used or the disease mentioned, it was how it would be misunderstood.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You have misse the point people are making almost to the point of being offensive. I will relay my experience of cancer any way I see fit thank you, besides which you utterly missed the point of me mentioning them. We all got the “joke” it was just poorly worded hugely misjudged. You’re fighting a losing battle and I have made the only point I wish to make on this ridiculous thread. I’ll leave you to it.

Flounce off if you need to but actually you’ve missed the point. Be offended, that’s your prerogative and at least bang on trend for finding where none is given / on behalf of others. The only thing lost on this thread is a few people’s sense of proportion because they saw the word cancer and starting booing and hissing without understanding the (generally widely known) context. As per NSC, thereafter a whole number of binfests are off and running including this one.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think you are missing the point. The problem isn't the words used or the disease mentioned, it was how it would be misunderstood.

Ok, but really the only solution to that is to shut down NSC because everything can be misunderstood by someone.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
I've just had a load of my insides taken out and it's tiring for everyone. Most of us will be effected by it at some point. It's just not worth making the joke the focus of a thread as everyone's bound to get wound up by it. Best wishes to mark Lawrenson and his family.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've just had a load of my insides taken out and it's tiring for everyone. Most of us will be effected by it at some point. It's just not worth making the joke the focus of a thread as everyone's bound to get wound up by it. Best wishes to mark Lawrenson and his family.

get well soon buddy......el pres....tsk tsk ....portlock tsk tsk ....lets see how you feel about it if/when you get it .

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Flounce off if you need to but actually you’ve missed the point. Be offended, that’s your prerogative and at least bang on trend for finding where none is given / on behalf of others. The only thing lost on this thread is a few people’s sense of proportion because they saw the word cancer and starting booing and hissing without understanding the (generally widely known) context. As per NSC, thereafter a whole number of binfests are off and running including this one.

Everyone got the point. Barely anyone thought it funny or appropriate. And I’m not remotely offended by his OP. Live with it. Goodnight.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
that feeling you get in your stomach when your HCP says the words " we found cancer unfortunately".....that feeling is not funny, at all.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
get well soon buddy......el pres....tsk tsk ....portlock tsk tsk ....lets see how you feel about it if/when you get it .

Cheers mate.
Don't get me wrong, Mark Lawrenson would be the first to admit he can be a pain in the arse!! Just perhaps not a thread starter. Though Jerry Sadowitz would :D

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I see the OP having a sly swipe at all sensitive souls that moan Lawro has supposedly forgotten his time at the Albion? And nothing more tbh.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh heck. I don't have an Omsong, or a strong opinion on leftbacks. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this Grandad business.

Will you be buying a half & half scarf when we play Spurs, in a couple of weeks?

Oh and congratulations.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've got a muso mate who recently found out that he had advanced stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
He went to the doctor to see about a prolonged backache and found this out after tests.
I asked how he was doing, he beamed back at me and said, 'I bloody hate Christmas anyway'.
Black humour often takes the edge of things and removes some of the uncomfortabilitly in certain situations.
Long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here