Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Total respect for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] . Doing any sort of run yesterday would have filled me with dread let alone a hill / trail marathon! The good news is, chaps, that Brighton will be a breeze after that.

4 weeks between marathons needs a balance of rest and recovery with Sunday mileage and a shorter taper. So once I can walk around the house I'll start this.
Week 1 easy plodding and cycling with couple of hours very slow Sunday
Week 2 easy plodding with some mile marathon pace interval thrown in and couple of hours Sunday a bit faster than very slow
Week 3 ditto with Wednesday speed stuff
Week 4 plodding and eating
I'm not fussed with a time and plan to enjoy it as it will be last one. Relentless plodding on flat Tarmac is not good for body or mind, especially when you run by your house three times and end up running 5 miles away from it.

Looking forward to the gazelles challenging for the 3 hour mark. Talking of breeze I wonder if BM will continue it's record of good to perfect running conditions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First bit of speed work this morning. 6 miler with 4 miles at 15x200 m sprint intervals....although I wasn’t sprinting much towards the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First bit of speed work this morning. 6 miler with 4 miles at 15x200 m sprint intervals....although I wasn’t sprinting much towards the end.

Now we're talking fun. Speed intervals. That lovely euphoric sick feeling. Haven't done any for 18 months now on my road back from rheumatoid arthritis flare up. Great discipline by me to resist. Will be starting them in mid May.
200m are the worst as you take them fast.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now we're talking fun. Speed intervals. That lovely euphoric sick feeling. Haven't done any for 18 months now on my road back from rheumatoid arthritis flare up. Great discipline by me to resist. Will be starting them in mid May.

God yeah.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

God yeah.

Sadists, the pair of you! I hate intervals, more so since the weather invariably turns to rain whenever I'm doing them. That, together with the snow covering that accompanied both my 20 mile runs leaves with no certainty as to whether I'm actually going to be ready for the suspected warmer conditions of Brighton Marathon...

... maybe that is just maranoia kicking in...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadists, the pair of you! I hate intervals, more so since the weather invariably turns to rain whenever I'm doing them. That, together with the snow covering that accompanied both my 20 mile runs leaves with no certainty as to whether I'm actually going to be ready for the suspected warmer conditions of Brighton Marathon...

... maybe that is just maranoia kicking in...

I like the idea of a someone who runs 20 miles in SNOW calling us sadists :lolol:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My interval session day is Tuesday and I dread it.

BM weather conditions have been pretty good every year I've attended. Although last year was way too hot.

Not sure if I'd brefer it to be breezy and cool or baking and still.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I piled into a Hangleton 10 miler yesterday and drew a very pretty map. I'm going to be making more use of the myriad of streets and crescents in Hangleton in future. A nice mixture of hills, flats, loops and all within a small surface area.

Hangleton 10 miler.JPG

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I piled into a Hangleton 10 miler yesterday and drew a very pretty map. I'm going to be making more use of the myriad of streets and crescents in Hangleton in future. A nice mixture of hills, flats, loops and all within a small surface area.

View attachment 95335

Looks like a map of someones intestines!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My interval session day is Tuesday and I dread it.

BM weather conditions have been pretty good every year I've attended. Although last year was way too hot.

Not sure if I'd brefer it to be breezy and cool or baking and still.

Tonight I'm doing 7 x 800m fast, with 400m breaks in between. I'm dreading it already.

It's the only type of run I really don't look forward to. Give me hills, a tempo run, or a long run over this speed work any day.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Tonight I'm doing 7 x 800m fast, with 400m breaks in between. I'm dreading it already.

It's the only type of run I really don't look forward to. Give me hills, a tempo run, or a long run over this speed work any day.

Same here - I had 6x1200m on the plan today, but had to bail part way into set 5 as something was starting to tighten - was able to run home "normally" from that though. :)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

It's the worst training in my book and the one I will usually swerve and substitute for anything else. I've decided hill climbs are an equivalent and more fun. I'm happy in my ignorance with this view and don't want to be told different.

I'm trying to crank up the mileage this week as I'm well behind my marathon training schedule. Fortunately that means no intervals but long slogs with an aim to hit 35 ish miles by the end of Sunday with next week taking me up to 40 before a 2 week taper.

I'm a bit late but I doff my cap to those who ran last weekend especially the 2 Moleymen, epic stuff.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Lancing College 10k...

Yep, I know the rules etc, but if anyone now can't make tomorrows event, due to a change of plans, I can now make this (however, its sold out)....

Happy to discuss further over a PM

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to see [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION] Elton's Brother at Parkrun full of the joys of marathon training and setting an SB for 5K. Anyone know where the table is?

Was aiming for a gentle 24 effort with plans for a last 150m sprint. As luck would have it someone came tearing by at that point and although failing to overtake them I managed to follow them in at 4:49 mile pace without getting breathless. I'll put that back in the closet for another month...............10" mile pace 14 mile recovery/Long run on the flat for tomorrow morning.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Parkrun at Fountains Abbey this morning. Beautiful course consisting of two laps around the abbey and lake - got to be one of The best parkruns in the country. 22:13 so ok and looking forward to long run past Bolton Abbey tomorrow.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ran 24 miles from Crawley to Brighton in my last long run last night. All good until we hit Clayton Hill and 8 min ish miles turned into 12 min ish miles struggling to get through big like conditions and over the downs.

Feel like I've earned the taper now.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
My preparation for the Brighton marathon has been fairly minimal so today I decided to do a long run and if I felt OK then I would do the BM. Happy to say I did 20 miles (Lewes to Hove and back with a quick pint at the swan to rehydrate) and don’t feel too bad. Looking forward to April 15th now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here