Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley may bid for city status

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As for bobfoc, I have no idea what that means! :laugh:

"Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch" (re your comment about an ugly bird with a great body) :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Body off Baywatch,Face off Crimewatch :lolol: Too slow-blame getting old

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The reason for the 'boring' face palm is down to your rather mind numbing comments. Who compared it to Rome? There are areas of Brighton that are far worse than Crawley. And guess what? I would suspect there are more people coming from Brighton to work at the airport. If not it wouldn't be far off. In fact it is a Sussex/Surrey employer and not exclusive to Crawley.

[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] I get where you're coming from, but so far all the comments on this thread have been related to the town centre, which I too dislike and rarely enter. As I said, sadly that monstrosity is the face of Crawley.

As for bobfoc, I have no idea what that means! :laugh:

You are so right.

Crawley has many extraordinarily beautiful areas. In fact Heart FM went out and caught some of them on camera (erm).

http://www.heart.co.uk/crawley/news/landmarks-crawley/crawley-hawth/#rewind

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No more bizarre than a potential bid for European Capital of Culture in 2023, by ... Truro.

Hmmm, I imagine that has a lot to do with trying to get hold of European funding- parts of Cornwall are quite deprived compared to other areas of the UK.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I always believed that in order to be a 'City' you have to have a cathedral. I'll check Google.

"A city is a large and permanent human settlement." Mmmmnnn... the word 'human' could be the stumbling block.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The scoffing at Crawley on here is and always has been utterly cringeworthy. It's a blue-collar town that tries to get things done and constantly looks to improve itself, with a fair degree of success. No shame in that, IMO.

I'd give it up if I were you. Why some on here see fit to consistently belittle if not downright slaughter a Sussex town where a significant number of Albion supporters live is completely beyond me. I wish we heard the same level of contempt for similar nothing towns, like Eastbourne, Worthing, East Grinstead or whatever. Or rather, I wish none of them were held in contempt at all.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I really can't. It almost makes me want to move there.

After I've stuck hot needles in my eyes.

Tilgate Park. Practically the same as London Zoo. The Crawley bowling greens - ****, I bet all the other city candidates are quaking at that one.

Nah, sorry. I'm sure Crawley people love it, but it ain't a worth making a City. I think places like Ipswich might just pip you to the title.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Nothing wrong with Crawley. Love having Tilgate Park round the corner for nice Sunday walks with the little boy.

You live where you can afford to support your families, thats all that matters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The scoffing at Crawley on here is and always has been utterly cringeworthy. It's a blue-collar town that tries to get things done and constantly looks to improve itself, with a fair degree of success. No shame in that, IMO.

Reckon that's about right. Have loads of friends who live in Crawley. They have the same affinity for their town as everybody else has for their town. As is their right. They never tried to ponce themselves up by inventing Estate Agent 'Villages'. Could well do with introducing plans for East Croydon style trams with the private motorist being told to Furk Off round the outskirts. But other than that, i sort of like the place. And, as a station pub, the Snooty Fox is GRAND.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Tilgate Park. Practically the same as London Zoo. The Crawley bowling greens - ****, I bet all the other city candidates are quaking at that one.

Nah, sorry. I'm sure Crawley people love it, but it ain't a worth making a City. I think places like Ipswich might just pip you to the title.

I'll refrain from my views on your utterly ridiculous posts. And thanks for the link, you, like most here are stereotyping the town by glorifying in the images of the town centre for which I have already agreed three times doesn't represent the rest of Crawley. You enjoy your hatred, and remember to go have a walk around Moulsecoomb later, to soak up the beauty.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Whereabouts in Brighton do you live then? You know, just in case the good people of Crawley on here fancy pulling it apart.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll refrain from my views on your utterly ridiculous posts. And thanks for the link, you, like most here are stereotyping the town by glorifying in the images of the town centre for which I have already agreed three times doesn't represent the rest of Crawley. You enjoy your hatred, and remember to go have a walk around Moulsecoomb later, to soak up the beauty.

:cool:

I'm just wasting time on this thread waiting for the Murray appeal. Sorry. I love Crawley and the surrounding areas really. Maybe the surrounding areas about 10 miles away from it.

:)

Off to the 'scoombe in a bit. And then Whitehawk for a trip down memory lane, as I spent much of my yoof there. So, I know what you mean.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hmmm, I imagine that has a lot to do with trying to get hold of European funding- parts of Cornwall are quite deprived compared to other areas of the UK.

Absolutely true, but this scheme is a bit like auditioning for "Let It Shine" instead of applying for job-seekers allowance.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whereabouts in Brighton do you live then? You know, just in case the good people of Crawley on here fancy pulling it apart.

Preston Park [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]

It really is a shit hole in Preston Park. A right dump.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Preston Park [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]
Preston Park - the place for people who want to pay high Brighton prices without any of the benefits. :lolol:

No wonder you're sneering at Crawley. Anything to make yourself feel better about paying silly money for little reward.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Worked in Crawley for a long time. Started out hating the place with a passion but I came to recognise its good points.

There are only about 10 towns and cities and the whole of the UK that aren't almost universally derided as "boring", "crap" or "a dump" because we just seem to enjoy chucking those insults around.

But when these places take steps to inject a bit of civic pride and improve their image, I think they should be applauded. So if Crawley wants to be a city, good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here