Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So let's say we have another go, Jezza wins in a 'hung'. He has said 'no deals' etc...who would he be likely to end up in bed with?

He sounds like he's confident of a clear win. Anyway, what I can't work out is what happens if either May or Corbyn fail to obtain a deal that looks good for us. Would either of them seriously say to parliament 'We leave with no deal'? Conversely would either of them be able to sponsor a soft Brexit that either fails to 'control our borders' (yes, I know, we already etc etc) or controls the borders but gives us high trade tarifs and visas to Calais? I suspect Corbyn could sell either more easily than May since he can say 'we didn't trigger this mad referendum'. Could Corbyn, as a majority leader or in coalition with the Jocks and Libs (in answer to your question, @is it potg) go further and say to parliament 'we can't get a deal that is remotely acceptable to the future of the UK, so I will not Brexit'? The latter, of course, would mean 'and so I am calling a 'reverse the Brexit' general election'?

None of this seems remotely ideal, and I am shaking my head sadly. That said, I suspect this is dawning on most of those who voted in or out without very strong conviction (the committed of either persuasion will still be committed), and as a consequence it is more likely they (who are largely floating or 'party-fluid' voters in general) will punish the tories (with whoever is leader) than labour. If I were Corbyn I would be thinking 'do I really want to be PM to lead the UK into a mess, whatever the outcome?'. He differs from me in many, many ways, not least on this issue (he is clearly massively up for it).

So it is probably several elections with hung parliaments, or several back and forth elections with whoever is leader of whichever party making a horrible job of leading the country, to be replaced by the other lot who suffer a similar fate.

Boy do I hate 'Dave', the worst PM of all time, for this :rant:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I'm just going to sit back and watch the Tories **** everything up even more and laugh! This thread will be bumped as a comedy thread in future years.

Anyone with any sanity will sit back and laugh/cry at same time

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Don't try and patronise me, you have no idea what I believe and what i don't. Your hypocrisy stinks, where in any of my posts have i said the 400 deaths attributable to the Protestant terrorists, are more important than the 1800, attributed to the IRA/INLA.
I believe I said in another post that i personally condemn ALL acts of violence, whoever the perpetrators.
I have voted for the Lib Dems more than Labour in my life, as I live in a very strong constituency for the Tories, and I had the forlorn hope that mine was a tactical vote. Since Corbyn has become party leader, I have actually seen a leader that I can give my vote to, and more than that, I've joined the Labour party.

As for the Cons not having an open goal in 2010, do you remember the vitriol poured onto Brown and Labour by the media, it was only
another awful campaign fought by the Tories, that saved Labour from becoming a rump party.

In repky to your post, will you condemn the grubby deal May has cobbled together with those well known bigots, the DUP, or are you quite happy to see our government in hock to this bunch of lowlifes

I try to form an opinion on what you believe by what you say .. but that can be a tad unreliable .

I've always voted Labour , so have most of my family, myself, my brother, and two nephews all vote Labour.

.... .

I have already condemned the deal in previous exchanges (#9668) with you .. as you know.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I try to form an opinion on what you believe by what you say .. but that can be a tad unreliable .

I have already condemned the deal in previous exchanges (#9668) with you .. as you know.

That's a little disingenuous. Voting tactically is the same as voting for who you really want to run the country. You know what he means :shrug:

As someone guilty of numerous rants about almost anything (ahem), I regret how much squabbling there is about this Brexit/election debacle.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I should have said always supported Labour, I have voted tactically in the past, for all the good it's done, but now, and for the last three elections I have decided to be true to my beliefs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't the alleged quote

"why should I deal with all the hard shit"

Well he was right!

But..... he was PM!!!! How extraordinarily irresponsible! It is almost psychopathic and reveals that running the party and country was just an expression of his narcissism. Keep that in mind, people, if ever tempted to vote for an even more transparent narcissist - Boris :eek:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's a little disingenuous. Voting tactically is the same as voting for who you really want to run the country. You know what he means :shrug:

As someone guilty of numerous rants about almost anything (ahem), I regret how much squabbling there is about this Brexit/election debacle.

That's very generous. If someone clearly says they have always voted for one party and think it is a virtue it's a bit disconcerting to then find out they have mainly been voting for another party (a party in coalition with the Tories?)

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I hope that Labour do not gain control during the next 20 years by which time I will be long gone.

Well I hope to see winged unicorns flying over a rainbow but really who cares?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's very generous. If someone clearly says they have always voted for one party and think it is a virtue it's a bit disconcerting to then find out they have mainly been voting for another party (a party in coalition with the Tories?)

Yes, but I'm right though, and you know it :wave:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This is a very different labour party now than it was in 2010 and 2015. Also doesn't make what the Tories have done right.

Not really the point

Wouldn't be a massive issue if the Tories had not made all the claims before the election.

The Parliamentary Labour Party are in full cry at the outrage of the Tories canoodling up to the horrible DUP but most of the very same people would have happily put up with a deal if it meant they could get into power. Rank hypocrisy?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Parliamentary Labour Party are in full cry at the outrage of the Tories canoodling up to the horrible DUP but most of the very same people would have happily put up with a deal if it meant they could get into power. Rank hypocrisy?

We have chatted on numerous occasions from 'across the garden hedge'. I enjoy the conversations. Sometimes, however, you need to step back and stop campaigning. Yes, there is a lot at stake and folk are uncertain. You may have seen my post calling for a Corbyn wipe out, before the election, so we can start again with a new labour. I was taking the broader view (which looks like it was tactically misconceived, as it happens). You won't persuade anyone by making what are frankly highly nuanced partisan point scorey posts, dragging up quotes from past persons, or persons' past(s). You lose all credibility as an unbiased (well, we are all biased....but) commentator, and just come across as a 'I'll vote for a pig if it has a blue rosette' type. I know you can do better than that!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I should have said always supported Labour, I have voted tactically in the past, for all the good it's done, but now, and for the last three elections I have decided to be true to my beliefs

Thanks for the clarification and would you also clarify the fact I had already condemned the Tories in discussions with you as 'shits' for jumping into bed with the DUP?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here