Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Stockdale, then who?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When he first came to us there were a few videos of him making great saves and a few showing some absolute howlers. He hasn't made those mistakes since coming here but is it only because he hasn't played?
Not sure I'd see him as other than plugging a short term injury gap.

To be fair Stockdale has had his share of howlers, Maenpaa would relish the chance and it should be given to him in my opinion.
I think that Stockdale was brought in to be his understudy but had a good run of games and kept the position.
If Stockdale goes then all the remaining goalkeepers should move up one place and another sensibly priced one should be brought in to make up the squad.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
To be fair Stockdale has had his share of howlers, Maenpaa would relish the chance and it should be given to him in my opinion.
I think that Stockdale was brought in to be his understudy but had a good run of games and kept the position.
If Stockdale goes then all the remaining goalkeepers should move up one place and another sensibly priced one should be brought in to make up the squad.

Stockers came for around £1m in 2014 while Nikki arrived a year later on a free as back-up so that Walton could go out on loan to develop him long term. You're right about howlers though :lol:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I heard from someone in a very good position to judge, that Maenpaa can be brilliant one day and bad the next, perhaps this is what is seen in training.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I heard from someone in a very good position to judge, that Maenpaa can be brilliant one day and bad the next, perhaps this is what is seen in training.
If so, I doubt he'd have been offered a new contract, certainly unlikely to be first choice.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Eldan Jakupovic or David Marshall?

Either are PL quality and PL experienced and would imagine one of them could be available as I can't see either being happy to drop down a league and then be second choice

Jakupovic is the one of was thinking of. Seems pretty good from what I saw of him and got some very favourable comments from opposing managers and pundits

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Westwood for me, has easily been the best keeper in the Championship the past two seasons.

Also if you're suggesting Pickford you're obviously delusional. He will go for anywhere between 20 and 30 million

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He would be ideal for us and he will get plenty of opportunity to show his ability when we are under pressure but wages wise etc I cant see it happening. Man City would be happy as he wouldnt be at a Premier title winning rival, well not next season at least.:)

Hart's minimum would be Everton, possibly Liverpool or Arsenal. Massive wages.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we had to choose one AS A BACK-UP for next season then I'd take Maenpaa all day long. I agree there's not MUCH between them but Stockers clearly 'beat him out for the starting role' last season.

I'm just looking forward to the games starting and silly season being over. Sign up or don't just get a move on with it as the club will be just fine whichever happens.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Rene Adler has informed #Hamburg that he is leaving.
5 years with a relegation threatened side.
Bundesliga is flavour of the month.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
When he first came to us there were a few videos of him making great saves and a few showing some absolute howlers. He hasn't made those mistakes since coming here but is it only because he hasn't played?
Not sure I'd see him as other than plugging a short term injury gap.

Interesting...
Think you might be right but he looked good in one of the cup games

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
DS you need to stay.You need to prove yourself in the Premiership.Leeds can wait.Bench warming next season is no place for DS,that also can wait. Joining Palace etc can wait (for ever ). Have next season with us,then see where you are.

Pump3ster

Dec 15, 2014
Got to be Brad Guzan. Persuade him NOT to go back to the USA.

Two outstanding seasons for Villa and the Smoggies.

If not, Ruddy. He won't have to face his nemisis who scored 12 in 6 PL games against him:

I hope to god that the Guzan shout is sarcasm, man couldn't catch a cold with Boro.

Pump3ster

Dec 15, 2014
Don't you think Guzan's PL and International class would take our goalkeeping up another level?

I have to disagree, I don't feel he has done Boro many favors this season, I would much rather try someone like Rene Adler, who's a free agent now, or Alex McCarthy, who would represent a more long term investment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here