Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Stockdale, then who?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Of all the names suggested so far - the 2 names that seem more realistic that I'd be happy with are Begovic or Ochoa (but hope Stocko stays)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lee Grant from Stoke.

Swept up all the awards for this season but is unhappy that he has lost his place to Butland who is now fit.

Because Butland is a number 1 goalkeeper, Lee Grant should be the bloke who fetches the balls and then kicks them at your first choice in the warm up.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Yes please and has stated in the past that he would love to play in England .

Attachments

• 1 buf.jpg
    1 buf.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 331

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We do seem to bring out or develope some good goalkeepers, as has been shown through the years.
He would be missed as he knows the rest of the team well, but no one is irreplaceable and I don't think Tony will let it drag on for too long as it may upset team moral.
I think our Finnish understudy will be rubbing his hands together at the moment and I don't blame him.
He must be rated or he wouldn't be here.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Hull keeper seemed pretty good - can't remember his name off the top of my head

Eldan Jakupovic or David Marshall?

Either are PL quality and PL experienced and would imagine one of them could be available as I can't see either being happy to drop down a league and then be second choice

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No he's not as he makes many silly silly errors and we'll get well punished in the prem.....We will need a better keeper to be honest.

He has already proved himself as Prem class with Fulham, I was astonished that we got him in the first place.
Every goalie makes mistakes and had bad luck, it is just highlighted more.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
For what its worth, i think Stockdale may well yet sign a new contract so i wouldn't count chickens just yet.

With keepers, I've said since we were linked with Maenpaa on 2014...he's a top keeper. Even though he's not played much, i assure you there isn't muchbat all in ability levels between him at Stockdale. They're both excellent shot stoppers no question. Distribution in both is outstanding, Stockdale's is quicker and flatter but Maenpaa has a HUGE throw on him. Also Maenpaa is the better cross taker, more assured when coming to claim crosses and high balls into the box - see Lincoln foe the penalty, he rose up very high, got nudged and still held onto the ball despite dislocating his shoulder.

If we were to bring in a new keeper, they would have to be similar to Stocko. I would be absolutely suprised if Ruddy came in. Solid keeper, but distribution isn't the greatest, its a no from me.

Kieron Westwood is perhaps the most similiar and was the keeper i wanted when we signed Stockdale. The only keeper that rivals Stocko in the championship IMO. His wages at Sheff Weds are ridiculous and part of the reason he signed there over a few teams, us included. If we signed him, his wages would be around the reported levels of Knockaert etc.

Michel Vorm is a good shout if we could prize him away from Tottenham. But the one i would go for is Alex McCarthy from Southampton. Great keeper with ambitions of playing for England and has the ability to do so with regular games

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Could Maenpaa do a job?

When he first came to us there were a few videos of him making great saves and a few showing some absolute howlers. He hasn't made those mistakes since coming here but is it only because he hasn't played?
Not sure I'd see him as other than plugging a short term injury gap.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
For what its worth, i think Stockdale may well yet sign a new contract so i wouldn't count chickens just yet.

With keepers, I've said since we were linked with Maenpaa on 2014...he's a top keeper. Even though he's not played much, i assure you there isn't muchbat all in ability levels between him at Stockdale. They're both excellent shot stoppers no question. Distribution in both is outstanding, Stockdale's is quicker and flatter but Maenpaa has a HUGE throw on him. Also Maenpaa is the better cross taker, more assured when coming to claim crosses and high balls into the box - see Lincoln foe the penalty, he rose up very high, got nudged and still held onto the ball despite dislocating his shoulder.

If we were to bring in a new keeper, they would have to be similar to Stocko. I would be absolutely suprised if Ruddy came in. Solid keeper, but distribution isn't the greatest, its a no from me.

Kieron Westwood is perhaps the most similiar and was the keeper i wanted when we signed Stockdale. The only keeper that rivals Stocko in the championship IMO. His wages at Sheff Weds are ridiculous and part of the reason he signed there over a few teams, us included. If we signed him, his wages would be around the reported levels of Knockaert etc.

Michel Vorm is a good shout if we could prize him away from Tottenham. But the one i would go for is Alex McCarthy from Southampton. Great keeper with ambitions of playing for England and has the ability to do so with regular games

Excellent & well informed analysis. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here