Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expectations for the Albion this coming season.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think we'll do better than last season. Obviously we don't know our squad or those of other teams, but I think we'll see a moderate improvement, a more solid mid-table probably. I always hope for 1st of course, you never know!

Some strong cup runs and glamour ties would be good too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nothing yet to suggest we are capable of getting the huge amount of goals needed to fire our way out of the Championship like B'Muff, Norwich & Warford; so currently I believe we'll finish 15-20. But if we purchase some goal scorers and change our tactics, I'll be a lot happier as I really rate our midfield 6 & Dunky.

This seems the best response to me. What we need are quality signings and, given they cost, we can't expect too many of them -- four, perhaps five, at LB, CB, CF, and one/two wingers/attacking midfielders. We do have some good quality players, especially those mentioned in the above post. What we need is quality additions to the squad (who can score goals), and then rely on the DS when injuries and suspensions hit.
My biggest concern is the style of football CH eventually inculcated into the team, which was far too negative in the last quarter of the season. If you want to do well in this league, you've got to be able to score.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My only expectation/demand is that it is more entertaining than the last couple of seasons. I can accept failure, but I cannot accept a club/team/manager that is so complacent in thinking people will continue to pay good money to watch dull, uninspiring, low-scoring nonsense. I would like to see us bring in a number of attacking players and to invest in one or two names who will excite the fans again. If it means we concede a few along the way and lose some exciting matches then so be it. Just don't sentence us to another year of the utterly painful experience of having to watch Chris O'Grady trying to score a goal. We need enthusiasm and excitement again.
I would prefer 30 dour 1 -0 wins Plus a couple of draws even 0-0 would suffice. That would gjve us 92 points and automatic promotion.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Ask me at the end of August. It depends on what players we bring in. I think with good players back in the squad we can get a top 10 finish, at least.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It's unrealistic to go from being a shocking team that just misses relegation to automatic promotion.

We did it 5 years ago. A headache can usually go during the summer if you get some good players in the squad, and get a winning mentality back in the team. If we get some early wins to make sure we can fight up the table, there's no reason to suggest play offs are completely out of the question.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would prefer 46 10-0 wins, but that's not going to happen either.

It's unrealistic to go from being a shocking team that just misses relegation to automatic promotion. At best, I could see an outsider's run at the play-offs. So in the meantime, I think it's important the club do something that makes the majority of fans actually look forward to matches again.

Start off with a run of wins 4 or 5 games irrespective of the score and people will be clamouring for more.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My only expectation/demand is that it is more entertaining than the last couple of seasons. I can accept failure, but I cannot accept a club/team/manager that is so complacent in thinking people will continue to pay good money to watch dull, uninspiring, low-scoring nonsense. I would like to see us bring in a number of attacking players and to invest in one or two names who will excite the fans again. If it means we concede a few along the way and lose some exciting matches then so be it. Just don't sentence us to another year of the utterly painful experience of having to watch Chris O'Grady trying to score a goal. We need enthusiasm and excitement again.

This with bells on

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
This with bells on

Probably the biggest footballing mistruth pedalled by deluded, dewy-eyed. romantic fans. In 35 years of watching football I've still to meet a fan who can readily ACCEPT failure just because their team can string together a few passes, dominate the game and walk contentedly from the ground having lost 1-0 to a jammy injury time winner.
Fans clamour for wins, success and promotion. Not sexy football - and relegation.
This with bells on, whatever that means,..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's unrealistic to go from being a shocking team that just misses relegation to automatic promotion. At best, I could see an outsider's run at the play-offs. .

Talking of clubs who have a poor season (17th) and then sneak in to the Prem League the following season via the play-offs..Sadly in 2012/13 it wasn't unrealistic at all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Start off with a run of wins 4 or 5 games irrespective of the score and people will be clamouring for more.
I agree, but we have a tendancy to sign too many players after the season has started, and so don't have the squad in place for the August games, and drop the early points that are so valuable at season end.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Probably the biggest footballing mistruth pedalled by deluded, dewy-eyed. romantic fans. In 35 years of watching football I've still to meet a fan who can readily ACCEPT failure just because their team can string together a few passes, dominate the game and walk contentedly from the ground having lost 1-0 to a jammy injury time winner.
Fans clamour for wins, success and promotion. Not sexy football - and relegation.

This is pretty much spot on... Far too many fans think that keeping possession with endless sideways and back passes is clever, it's not feckin clever at all .... when the upshot is getting caught on the break. Pretty football means nothing, getting the damn ball forward fast scores goals.
I'm not at all pessimistic about this season, in fact I feel sorry for the guys n gals that have already written this season off. Especially when they haven't got a clue who will be in the team. BHA are renown for keeping their cards close to their chests, so I'll not be surprised to see one or two impressive signings. :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Probably the best game at the Amex when we lost 0-1 to Burnley, down to 9 men, the crowd were immense and the players fought hard, Poyet resorted to using the long ball and CMS nearly snatched an equaliser in the last minutes. WE lost, but it was the most entertaining! Sorry my friend, but, you are also pedalling mistruths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here