Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone left on here who still thinks

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some of the comments about Walcott are laughable. Yes ok,£100k is a lot to pay him, but I dare say his days of earning that sort of money are behind him, but to suggest that he is not the player we want is rediculous.

A player that is still in England's plans, one that can rip other teams apart( ones far better than us) and if he didn't leave would still be in wengers team, yet some on here don't rate him.

Has it really come to this?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hard to believe that less than two months ago, Jose Moaninho was saying that we were the best Premier League team Man Utd had played this season.

Now the same team seems to have gone to pieces, and I can't see where our next win is going to come from unless we sign a couple of quality players (easier said than done - and I don't think we're going to) in the next fortnight, or CH changes tactics.

I think he actually said that we had given them their toughest game this season (up to that point). Maybe I mis-heard him?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love the way so many are blaming CH’s tactics which worked so well and drew so much praise earlier in the season. Now our defenders can’t defend set pieces having been brilliant at it initially we suddenly have the wrong tactics,

The tactics are dull and negative but they work, as we have seen, if you don’t defend like a park team.

We don’t have the players to play on the offensive in most games, without getting a good thrashing, although it seems to be the way forward according to so many on here :shrug:

Not a dig at you Mellotron it was just your post I quoted, plenty of others feel like you clearly.

This.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The squad simply isn’t good enough at this level.

Is, of course,the right answer. Very proud of the squad and club for getting up, and holding our own at times, but really we're just not good enough. I've always thought we'd go down - and I don't have a problem with that. No-one to blame.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The trouble is the board have a pay structure that is far lower then other clubs. The clubs around us will spend whatever it takes to survive paying ridiculous money for players and for what. To play in a league that has been monopolised by 6/7 clubs who can outbid anyone else for the best players. It’s not going to get any better, clubs in the championship are now spending ridiculous amounts to get in this league. If we don’t survive this season, we will be a forever chasing play off side in the championship as clubs around spend big for the promised land, that in my opinion is about watching your team lose and draw most matches and then get dumped out of cups by lower league sides.

Championship is moving on at great speed.

It's a very real probability we will be priced out of the better players there when we return. You only need look at the amounts of money we were losing to see this. ( and costs for us will of increased when we return with less fans / riches )

It's pretty gloomy when you analyse it. The prem is the only real place I can see us being sustainable. Go down and I suspect it may be another 30 years or longer before we return

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Championship is moving on at great speed.

It's a very real probability we will be priced out of the better players there when we return. You only need look at the amounts of money we were losing to see this. ( and costs for us will of increased when we return with less fans / riches )

It's pretty gloomy when you analyse it. The prem is the only real place I can see us being sustainable. Go down and I suspect it may be another 30 years or longer before we return

That’s the problem. You can see why clubs sack managers and throw millions at players to come and play. It’s a gamble, but like you said, if you drop out of the premier league it could be a very long time before you get back, if you ever can. One look at the championship and you can see how hard it is for sides that were only playing in the premier league a few seasons ago and can not get back. I’m afraid if we don’t pay over the odds for the players we need, we will go down. We will not get bargain players this window only mercenaries.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
that we have enough to stay up without any additions to the squad

Seemed to be a few not so long ago. Do you still think like this?
Me :wave: But I’m hoping we’ll never find out either way!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That’s the problem. You can see why clubs sack managers and throw millions at players to come and play. It’s a gamble, but like you said, if you drop out of the premier league it could be a very long time before you get back, if you ever can. One look at the championship and you can see how hard it is for sides that were only playing in the premier league a few seasons ago and can not get back. I’m afraid if we don’t pay over the odds for the players we need, we will go down. We will not get bargain players this window only mercenaries.

yeah, that sums it up.

Pay over the odds or accept that the Prem isn't something we are able to compete in. (same may apply championship).

Pretty crap really

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The club needs to wise up to fact agents are b*stards - the Alexis Sanchez saga proves that. Almost every transfer fee nowadays makes me think the buying club have paid over the odds for what they are getting.

For what we need in this window we won't get any change out of £20 mill.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club needs to wise up to fact agents are b*stards - the Alexis Sanchez saga proves that. Almost every transfer fee nowadays makes me think the buying club have paid over the odds for what they are getting.

For what we need in this window we won't get any change out of £20 mill.

I expect they're all too aware already.

The snag is that agents and moving players now hold all the cards.

Clubs have to play and pay the game, otherwise they miss out on players and decline.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I expect they're all too aware already.

The snag is that agents and moving players now hold all the cards.

Clubs have to play and pay the game, otherwise they miss out on players and decline.

Hitherto, we've not sold big to another Prem side so not gained ourselves from the transfer madness - this makes it natural to feel reluctant to pay the big bucks. Hypothetically, if you sell Dunk for £50 mill you might feel slightly better about paying - say - £25 mill for Moussa Dembele. Livepool only paid stupid money for Van Dijk because they got stupid money for Coutinho; the same thing happened with Torres and Andy Carroll.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here